Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

So, I'm hitting up Newport Folk Fest this week, and this forum knows more about the deep dives on this genre than I do. Anyone want to suggests some artists from the schedule that I need to make time for from the Americana/Country Sphere? As of right now, if I'm there all day every day, I have Nickel Creek, Willi Carlisle, Angel Olsen, Jason Isbell, Senora May, and Billy Strings on the potential to see list. Joshua Ray Walker is also apparently going to play a side stage, and I have aftershow tix to Him and Margo Price on separate days. Heck, recs from any genre are fine. Mostly looking for options to wander to given the heat may necessitate finding shadier spaces which can vary a ton.

fpsdsj0ttydb1.jpg

So, I'm hitting up Newport Folk Fest this week, and this forum knows more about the deep dives on this genre than I do. Anyone want to suggests some artists from the schedule that I need to make time for from the Americana/Country Sphere? As of right now, if I'm there all day every day, I have Nickel Creek, Willi Carlisle, Angel Olsen, Jason Isbell, Senora May, and Billy Strings on the potential to see list. Joshua Ray Walker is also apparently going to play a side stage, and I have aftershow tix to Him and Margo Price on separate days. Heck, recs from any genre are fine. Mostly looking for options to wander to given the heat may necessitate finding shadier spaces which can vary a ton.

fpsdsj0ttydb1.jpg
Bella White, The Hold Steady, Danielle Ponder, Jobi Riccio, Gregory Alan Isakov and The Earls of Leicester would be on my list if I was going. Grace Bowers is getting a lot of press here in Nashville as well.

Last edited:

fpsdsj0ttydb1.jpg
Harlem Gospel Travellers, Earls of Leicester, Bella White, Madison Cunningham and Sacred Souls are all acts I would make a point to see.

Last edited:

fpsdsj0ttydb1.jpg
Personally I would add Bella White and Willi Carlisle to your list

edit nvm you already said WC

fpsdsj0ttydb1.jpg
Mdou Moctar!

fpsdsj0ttydb1.jpg
Loved Ron Gallo when I saw him a few years back, kinda great way to start off the fest with some energy.

fpsdsj0ttydb1.jpg
Rainbow Girls, Erin Rae, Tommy Prine and the Hold Steady

fpsdsj0ttydb1.jpg
My list would be Bella White, The Beths, Danielle Ponder, Billy String and Del’s Frozen Lemonade.

Last edited:
In my experience this is true and especially bad at Country shows.
Agree here. Seems like many are there to drink cheap liquor and socialize, with the band providing background music and selfie backdrops. Many folks with absolutely zero cares for anyone around them. Security does nothing at most venues (the band is there to sell liquor, only involved if fighting erupts) so there is no recourse to stop the behavior. For the same reason, I now watch most college football games in the comfort of my home. If I could do same with concerts, I would.

Last edited:
Y'all nailed those Newport recs btw. There were some missed due to a medical emergency (heat and bad logistics had us in the med tent, met The Beths under less than ideal circumstances) but between planned wandering and the Margo aftershow we saw a ton.

Grace Bowers is gonna be a star if she gets the right support. Holy crap, she shreds at 17

Highly recommend this new album by Florry out today. Saw it described as basement bar alt-country and that seems about right.

Also enjoying the William Matheny album released today. He’s a part of John R. Millers band and John also plays on the album.

Last edited:
Back