Definitive Audiophile pressings

Okay, so who is gonna do the complete shoot out for Sunday at the Village Vanguard?

Please compare all of these:
  • OG 1961 stereo
  • 80s OJC stereo
  • 2012 Waxtime pressing
  • 2017 MoFi One-step
  • 2018 Electric Recording Co
  • Analog Productions standard 45 rpm pressing
  • 2023 OJC stereo
  • 2024 Analogue Productions One-Step

Don't forget the early 2000s OJC

I’m aware. Waxtime releases are an understandably derided, they are grey market, digital transfers but for $12 bucks the few I’ve owned over the years have sounds pretty good. Obviously not audiophile but still better than lots of modern releases.
The best "super cheap" option in my opinion are the Deagostini "Jazz At 33 1/3" series. The UK market became flooded with them a few years ago when Zavvi had a really affordable bundle deal. Anyway, the sourcing is a bit of a mystery but the general consensus is that it isn't a grey market label and they have the licensing rights. In fact, I have seen a few sources state that some of their releases are AAA, which I cant confirm but what I can say is that every copy on the label that I have heard is incredibly good.

The best "super cheap" option in my opinion are the Deagostini "Jazz At 33 1/3" series. The UK market became flooded with them a few years ago when Zavvi had a really affordable bundle deal. Anyway, the sourcing is a bit of a mystery but the general consensus is that it isn't a grey market label and they have the licensing rights. In fact, I have seen a few sources state that some of their releases are AAA, which I cant confirm but what I can say is that every copy on the label that I have heard is incredibly good.
LOL. ZERO of these are AAA. Like - ZERO. And based in Italy, with weak rights laws, there are none licensed.

General consensus - online boards? Discogs? Hoffman? Sure thing.

Back