Definitive Audiophile pressings

One of you is gonna have an obituary that reads along the lines of “he was a reclusive gentleman. His neighbors had no complaint. Authorities are puzzled by the 137 copies of Aja that the man had stored in his home.”
I have exactly one copy of that travesty, it came in a milk crate from my wife's dad's collection, it's the Canadian OG press. I have removed Aja from the crate and stored it carefully under a pile of used rags and cinderblocks.

Last edited:
It's minor on the PP, first track on the album starts with a bit of hiss/room tone, but it kinda goes away after that, although I didn't listen through the whole thing. The bass was very full on the PP, fun but not necessarily accurate I suspect. It's very very good and I'd be fine with it, but for $34 why not... If it was $50+ I'm not so sure I'd bother... Kinda like with Yusef Lateef Eastern Sounds, the VMP is OJC plates, RTI... and it's very good. The new one is $50, still haven't pulled the trigger...
Bass? It's an acoustic guitar.

Just let us know when you land the new.
It's worth having just because of the tape source.
It's like having a better than one step for under $30 US.

One of you is gonna have an obituary that reads along the lines of “he was a reclusive gentleman. His neighbors had no complaint. Authorities are puzzled by the 137 copies of Aja that the man had stored in his home.”
My obituary will read here lies a guy with a bunch of internet friends.
RIP to my records. My kids will probably be pissing away the proceeds traveling the world and partying.

Yeah I'm curious to see the difference, KPG doesn't usually pump the lows, quite the opposite I usually find. But this was a Hoffman KPG joint so maybe that's the difference. But either way I'll grab the Bluesville later this week... The Lateef I still can't decide.
The new OJC Yusef Eastern Sounds will stop you in your tracks. It's insane good.
Maybe the best out of the series, but the Evans VV were pretty good too.

I'm willing to bet Lutthans can put Hoffman to shame on just about any title.
He also cut Eastern Sounds btw.

The new OJC Yusef Eastern Sounds will stop you in your tracks. It's insane good.
Maybe the best out of the series, but the Evans VV were pretty good too.

I'm willing to bet Lutthans can put Hoffman to shame on just about any title.
He also cut Eastern Sounds btw.
That's because Lutthans is a mastering engineer who knows how to cut a record, and Hoffman is neither.

My Grandma can put Hoffman to shame on just about any title. His famous 'inverted smiley face eq' formula - good from far, far from good.

That's because Lutthans is a mastering engineer who knows how to cut a record, and Hoffman is neither.

My Grandma can put Hoffman to shame on just about any title. His famous 'inverted smiley face eq' formula - good from far, far from good.
I tend to agree.
All of the cuts with him I own are not very memorable, including the Rumours 45.

So you’re saying he has a ridiculously huge ego?

That’s really hard to tell from his posts on SHF forum. He seems so humble when writing about himself.

:poop:

I tend to agree.
All of the cuts with him I own are not very memorable, including the Rumours 45.
oh man....highly disagree about some of the stuff Hoffman worked on. the DCCs are really awesome. I love the Rumours 45 although OGs also sound great. But as @RHANDMJ said, Hoffman doesn't know how to cut a record, which is why he had to get people like KG to work with him.

no surprise why nobody wants to work with Hoffman anymore though (tape stealing issues aside). Lutthans seems geniunely nice and is very talented. Glad he's getting to shine a bit more with his own series and working on the OJCs.

oh man....highly disagree about some of the stuff Hoffman worked on. the DCCs are really awesome. I love the Rumours 45 although OGs also sound great. But as @RHANDMJ said, Hoffman doesn't know how to cut a record, which is why he had to get people like KG to work with him.

no surprise why nobody wants to work with Hoffman anymore though (tape stealing issues aside). Lutthans seems geniunely nice and is very talented. Glad he's getting to shine a bit more with his own series and working on the OJCs.
I only have about 6 titles with SH.
I don't think his Blue Notes are better than the stuff coming out of BNC or TP today.

I was just saying if I ranked my favorite mastering engineers that I target when buying records, his initials are pretty low on my list.

Yeah, Matt is really gelling now and I hope we continue to see more young peeps carry the torch.
RKS is still fairly young too, which is promising.

I only have about 6 titles with SH.
I don't think his Blue Notes are better than the stuff coming out of BNC or TP today.

I was just saying if I ranked my favorite mastering engineers that I target when buying records, his initials are pretty low on my list.

Yeah, Matt is really gelling now and I hope we continue to see more young peeps carry the torch.
RKS is still fairly young too, which is promising.
Hoffman isn't really an engineer though really. He's kinda like whatever Joe Harley is--a reissue producer I guess? I have a lot of KG/SH cuts that are really fantastic. I often seek out cuts that he did with KG for certain labels. A bunch of his AP work like the Nat King Cole reissues are amazing. The DCC stuff I have heard is all great. The Chess Masters reissues he oversaw were really awesome. He did need KG for various reasons (including the fact that labels wouldn't let him touch tapes after the whole stolen tape drama) but the combo of the two works really well IMO for many releases.

He's definitely high on the list of people I would never want to hang out with though hah. Don't blame KG for ditching him.

So I spun my KPG PP Skip James Today... today. It's very good, I can't honestly see his voice sounding any better, but I could see the guitar coming forward a wee bit and while it's very quiet, it's not DEAD quiet. It's also very narrow, to the point that I thought it may be mono, that could also be improved although it's not super necessary, it's one guy and his guitar, it's natural that it's narrow There is a little hiss/room tone on some tracks, but not all.
VERDICT: OKAY FINE I'LL GET THE NEW ONE

Yeah this is how I would describe it on the Bluesville as well. Almost mono sounding (until you compare it to the VMP mono) and the guitar is very recessed on the recording, esp. the stereo

Back