Definitive Audiophile pressings

That’s a blast from the past. India Arie was never my thing and I haven’t thought about it since the early 00s but I remember it being a buzzy album in 2001 and then she just disappeared.
She didn’t really disappear. She was still putting out well received and decent selling music. Just wasn’t a top 40 thing again. Much like Angie Stone and Jill Scott.

Last edited:
My point was more about public consciousness/billboard sales <> quality/career longevity.
Yeah, mine was more about how she was ubiquitous in the early 2000s then she wasn’t and she so wasn’t that even someone who spends a lot of time with music and pop culture, I haven’t really thought of her since. I wasn’t a big Nelly Furtado or Jill Scott fan either but they are still on the pop culture periphery enough that I hadn’t forgotten they existed. So when India Arie is mentioned those thoughts come back and really connects me with a time and place. India Arie fans will surely not feel the same way.

I could have sworn they charged me for the 2 STP releases back when they shipped Core, but I got an email from Acoustic Sounds saying my CC was declined. I'm pretty sure I got a new expire date since I ordered these back in January.

It sucks I can't fix this online and have to call. I also don't want to miss getting Purple.

just about the easiest call I've had to make to a customer service. It's pretty nice when they know who's calling and for what reason. It was just a new card I got back in April, so it was the expired card I used to pre-order in January.

But glad to see Purple is finally coming out.

In case anyone doesn't have Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend yet....amazing sounding pressing

I think The Smiths might be a bit tough as I think the earlier albums were Rough Trade and licensed to Sire. But I could be way of base. Sire did put them all out in North American.

Would love to see some early Cure but not sure how the rights fall with Polydor and Fiction. Either way my 2016 copy of 17 Seconds is a Rhino reissue so fingers crossed. But Robbie seems to have his own way of doing reissues.

Echo is an interesting one. Would be curious to see what BoomBoom could do with Ocean Rain or Heaven Up Here. But he would be hard pressed to top my OG Japanese pressings of the first 5 albums. I was not happy with the sound on the reissues from a few years ago.

They were actually signed to Sire in North America, there’s a story Marr tells about being bought a fancy guitar as part of the deal. Rough Trade back in the early days I think only signed for UK and European stuff plus when they went a bit tits up the larger Warmer Group bought the smiths stuff and now issues it under thier name over here.

I can’t see Marr agreeing to it after all the work he put into remastering the whole catlepgue in 2011.

They were actually signed to Sire in North America, there’s a story Marr tells about being bought a fancy guitar as part of the deal. Rough Trade back in the early days I think only signed for UK and European stuff plus when they went a bit tits up the larger Warmer Group bought the smiths stuff and now issues it under thier name over here.

I can’t see Marr agreeing to it after all the work he put into remastering the whole catlepgue in 2011.
I think that’s kind of the hold up that Patrick Milligan talked about in one of the Westman videos. Marr and Morrissey would have to agree to it and there’s no indication they would right now

I think that’s kind of the hold up that Patrick Milligan talked about in one of the Westman videos. Marr and Morrissey would have to agree to it and there’s no indication they would right now

Despite their animosity I think the right project would have both sign up. Likely Moz would just sign up to anything. Marr did such a good job in 2011 and clearly put a lot of effort into those and they are so affordable that I just can’t see him agreeing

So I spun my KPG PP Skip James Today... today. It's very good, I can't honestly see his voice sounding any better, but I could see the guitar coming forward a wee bit and while it's very quiet, it's not DEAD quiet. It's also very narrow, to the point that I thought it may be mono, that could also be improved although it's not super necessary, it's one guy and his guitar, it's natural that it's narrow There is a little hiss/room tone on some tracks, but not all.
VERDICT: OKAY FINE I'LL GET THE NEW ONE

So I spun my KPG PP Skip James Today... today. It's very good, I can't honestly see his voice sounding any better, but I could see the guitar coming forward a wee bit and while it's very quiet, it's not DEAD quiet. It's also very narrow, to the point that I thought it may be mono, that could also be improved although it's not super necessary, it's one guy and his guitar, it's natural that it's narrow There is a little hiss/room tone on some tracks, but not all.
VERDICT: OKAY FINE I'LL GET THE NEW ONE
It's a very narrow recording.
That will be consistent with a new cut.

I don't remember any tape hiss on this one like I did on the JL Hooker.
I need to spin it again. My QRP vinyl was pretty damn silent.

It's a very narrow recording.
That will be consistent with a new cut.

I don't remember any tape hiss on this one like I did on the JL Hooker.
I need to spin it again. My QRP vinyl was pretty damn silent.
It's minor on the PP, first track on the album starts with a bit of hiss/room tone, but it kinda goes away after that, although I didn't listen through the whole thing. The bass was very full on the PP, fun but not necessarily accurate I suspect. It's very very good and I'd be fine with it, but for $34 why not... If it was $50+ I'm not so sure I'd bother... Kinda like with Yusef Lateef Eastern Sounds, the VMP is OJC plates, RTI... and it's very good. The new one is $50, still haven't pulled the trigger...

Back