Definitive Audiophile pressings

Do the letters "KPG" mean anything to you?
giphy.gif

I believe Allah and Mars are OOP now. WMD and American Beauty are getting represses. It doesn't appear that AB or WMD are limited to a number.
If anyone is looking for the AB it's in stock at Newbury. Might have been there a while, I'm not sure, just happened to come across it tonight though.

brand new. not sure if it's AAA but it does sound great. i don't see any more recent represses of it from OJC, so I'd assume that any new sealed versions you may see in the wild would also be the RTI pressing.

Does it have the G1 in the dead wax? I’m curious about new Moonbeams OJCs bc some are rumored to use the AAA Delancie plates

I had to dig out my copy and check.

My copy is a bit weird, it has the typical, transparent, RTI inner sleeve. It also has G1 in the deadwax, but doesn't have the normal RTI markings. It has 7124.2 but with no following bracket.
dead wax details:

7124.1 OJC 434 A1. G1. (T).
7124.2 OJC 434 B1. G1. (T). also has two arrows pointing out from the centre on side B

I think I bought it a couple of years ago, tbh looks like an RTI pressing. Anyone have a copy like this? Is it a different pressing plant?

My copy is a bit weird, it has the typical, transparent, RTI inner sleeve. It also has G1 in the deadwax, but doesn't have the normal RTI markings. It has 7124.2 but with no following bracket.
dead wax details:

7124.2 OJC 434 B1. G1. (T). also has two arrows pointing out from the centre on side B

I think I bought it a couple of years ago, tbh looks like an RTI pressing. Anyone have a copy like this? Is it a different pressing plant?
Yep! Pretty sure mine is the same. It’s still RTI.

dead wax details:

My copy has the same deadwax. Never noticed those arrows before though. Wonder what they mean? Definitely an RTI pressing though.

Trying to think of some other OJCs I own that are pressed at RTI. Off the top of my head, I know the Miles Davis - Relaxin and Cookin' both are, as is Coleman Hawkins - Hawk Flies High.

Listening to Cookin' right now, and that muted trumpet [chef's kiss]!

Last edited:
My copy has the same deadwax. Never noticed those arrows before though. Wonder what they mean? Definitely an RTI pressing though.

Trying to think of some other OJCs I own that are pressed at RTI. Off the top of my head, I know the Miles Davis - Relaxin and Cookin' both are, as is Coleman Hawkins - Hawk Flies High.

Listening to Cookin' right now, and that muted trumpet [chef's kiss]!

I need more OJC's. The one's I have are all great & were pretty cheap

Can you guys clarify the significance of G1 in some of the OJCs you’re referring to? It seems like that’s an indication of AAA pressing based on that marking used on certain plates. Is that for a particular mastering engineer?

Separately, you’re talking about RTI pressings. I have OJC’s 2011 Waltz for Debby, apparently pressed at RTI but lacking G1 or any indicator of an AAA pressing, and I’ve assumed a digital source. It sounds phenomenal, so I’m asking only bc I’m interested in understanding these kinds of details.

Can you guys clarify the significance of G1 in some of the OJCs you’re referring to? It seems like that’s an indication of AAA pressing based on that marking used on certain plates. Is that for a particular mastering engineer?

Separately, you’re talking about RTI pressings. I have OJC’s 2011 Waltz for Debby, apparently pressed at RTI but lacking G1 or any indicator of an AAA pressing, and I’ve assumed a digital source. It sounds phenomenal, so I’m asking only bc I’m interested in understanding these kinds of details.
@keylime_5 posted about it a page or so ago.

"The G1 is the carrolton plant which closed in 1991, so it was cut before that plant closed, which was before they stopped doing AAA for all of their OJCs."

OJCs are frustrating. If you're buying a "newer" sealed pressing, AKA one with a barcode on the back, there's no way to know really what plates were used, or where it was pressed/what sources are. I've seen two copies of the same album and same jacket/barcode but pressed at different plants using different plates.

There is also no database, as far as i know, of which are definitively AAA or digital. A lot of stuff is deduced by the deadwax and things like what keylime said. I tend to just buy OJCs of albums i like and take a chance. Even the ones that are likely digital (like your Waltz for Debby) still sound good to me, and most are $20 and under if you can find them new in shops.

i THINK if it says GH, it's usually AAA (cut by George Horn). Same with G1.

I need more OJC's. The one's I have are all great & were pretty cheap
they have really been spiking up in price lately since people came onto them. they hardly stay in stock and secondary market has a bunch selling for $50+ now. I try to grab any i see under $20 lately if it's a title i like. even the ones that are likely digitally sourced sound quite nice if they are pressed at RTI.

If you are digging in the used bins and see any OJCs from the 80s with the $5.98 gray hype sticker on them, those should all be AAA. Good buys if the condition is right. I was able to snag a VG+ Standard Coltrane for $10 not too long ago.

If you are digging in the used bins and see any OJCs from the 80s with the $5.98 gray hype sticker on them, those should all be AAA. Good buys if the condition is right. I was able to snag a VG+ Standard Coltrane for $10 not too long ago.
Yep! These ones are great. I just got a Miles - Blue Haze OJC with that 5.98 sticker/slip and it sounds great. Paid $10 for it.

🚨🚨🚨BOOM BOOM ALERT🚨🚨🚨

giphy.gif

KG cut Marvin Gaye - What's Going On - 50th anniversary

ETA pushed back again on Marvin 50th, Now Apr01. :whistle:

Yep! These ones are great. I just got a Miles - Blue Haze OJC with that 5.98 sticker/slip and it sounds great. Paid $10 for it.
My best OJC find was a CRISPY CLEAN Bill Evans - Explorations for like $13 in the new arrivals bin. Sounds amazing. Also have gone on to pick up Bill Evans Interplay OJC from the 80’s but I paid like $50 for that one, but it was sealed and sounds as good as a AP pressing so whatever

My best OJC find was a CRISPY CLEAN Bill Evans - Explorations for like $13 in the new arrivals bin. Sounds amazing. Also have gone on to pick up Bill Evans Interplay OJC from the 80’s but I paid like $50 for that one, but it was sealed and sounds as good as a AP pressing so whatever
It hurts me so much to remember all the OJCs I passed on early on in my record buying days. I had always heard from hoffman forums and other places that OJCs sucked and were a budget label to avoid. Especially the OJCs with barcodes on the back. They were almost always $5 at most and I saw tons in yard sales and record shop bargain bins...

It hurts me so much to remember all the OJCs I passed on early on in my record buying days. I had always heard from hoffman forums and other places that OJCs sucked and were a budget label to avoid. Especially the OJCs with barcodes on the back. They were almost always $5 at most and I saw tons in yard sales and record shop bargain bins...
You must trust the Hoffman.
steve_hoffman_interview.jpg

Back