Definitive Audiophile pressings

Oof. Looks like they missed one. Edges play a nice quarter of an inch evenly off the platter lol.

It would have to get pretty repetitive working a vinyl press all day. Out of a run of 20k there are going to be some problems and a few bad ones will get sent out.

Just picked up from a local a pristine copy of a 1973 German Press of “Houses of the Holy,” with STERLING stamped and “RL” etched in the runout. The vinly is as minty as a 1973 record is gonna be (sleeves also in excellent condition), and it sounds great (good dynamic range and power), very quiet noise floor, and extremely limited, sporadic surface noise.

One oddity: the label of my version has correct song lengths, but there’s a virtually identical version with a few different (incorrect) lengths on the label. But both are ‘73 German presses with identical runouts, including STERLING stamp and “RL” etch and same pressing plant. I can’t find anything about this online (Discogs just mentions that one version has different song lengths), and I assume this is the result of a printing mistake on the other version, but I’m curious if anyone has any other ideas.

I have nothing else to compare this press to, particularly the Classic Records LZ series, but I‘m very happy with this purchase and highly recommend it. Given the excellent condition, I paid a good price based on current Discogs — without having to worry about accurate grading. But it was a lot more than the $2.95 on this odd looking price sticker.
D7EF4DE5-6A2E-49D0-B54B-11110B216467.jpeg

I caved and bought the Ornette Coleman Tone Poet box set last week. I had been telling myself that I didn't want to buy it unless it fell a good bit under $200 and found a copy on ebay for $160 sealed. It's excellent quality.

What's Going On sounds fantastic so far. The inner sleeves suck but no damage from mine--just tons of static. Slight dish warp on the album but nothing awful that would make me return it.

I got the deluxe one accidentally (thought there was more music on it when I ordered it and used my points at UDiscover so figured it wasn't worth trying to get them back.) It does have three matte prints that are 12x12 plus what I'm guessing is an extra pocket in the gatefold vs the regular version.

IMG_4325.jpg
IMG_4326.jpg

IMG_4327.jpg
IMG_4328.jpgIMG_4329.jpg

PSA, both copies of the newest repress of Depeche Mode Violator have no fill or stitching across the first two tracks. I thought it was no fill but it seems only causes a few hits of that "BZZRT" noise that I have come to associate with no fill. But for the amount visible on both discs I would have expected the noise to continue constantly across the first two. So I'm a little confused at what I'm seeing. Luckily the second disc seems to only have 4 quick hits off the top then it's fine. But either way, Optimal continues to move towards GZ in quality.

Also reading that a lot of people are getting the GZ end of side crackle on What's Going On... No big surprise there...

Just picked up from a local a pristine copy of a 1973 German Press of “Houses of the Holy,” with STERLING stamped and “RL” etched in the runout. The vinly is as minty as a 1973 record is gonna be (sleeves also in excellent condition), and it sounds great (good dynamic range and power), very quiet noise floor, and extremely limited, sporadic surface noise.

One oddity: the label of my version has correct song lengths, but there’s a virtually identical version with a few different (incorrect) lengths on the label. But both are ‘73 German presses with identical runouts, including STERLING stamp and “RL” etch and same pressing plant. I can’t find anything about this online (Discogs just mentions that one version has different song lengths), and I assume this is the result of a printing mistake on the other version, but I’m curious if anyone has any other ideas.

I have nothing else to compare this press to, particularly the Classic Records LZ series, but I‘m very happy with this purchase and highly recommend it. Given the excellent condition, I paid a good price based on current Discogs — without having to worry about accurate grading. But it was a lot more than the $2.95 on this odd looking price sticker.
View attachment 134465
Nice find! I have quite a few German pressing rock albums from the late 60s and early 70s that I got from friends who were stationed in Europe during the Viet Nam era. They all have price stickers somewhat similar to the one on your album and they came from military PX stores, hence the relatively low price and noted in US dollars. Is your pressing heavy on the bass and treble, smiley face eq style?

PSA, both copies of the newest repress of Depeche Mode Violator have no fill or stitching across the first two tracks. I thought it was no fill but it seems only causes a few hits of that "BZZRT" noise that I have come to associate with no fill. But for the amount visible on both discs I would have expected the noise to continue constantly across the first two. So I'm a little confused at what I'm seeing. Luckily the second disc seems to only have 4 quick hits off the top then it's fine. But either way, Optimal continues to move towards GZ in quality.

Also reading that a lot of people are getting the GZ end of side crackle on What's Going On... No big surprise there...
no crackle on my copy of What's Going On. I listened very closely for it too. They are RIDDLED with static though because of those damn printed inner sleeves. I used the brush from Sleeve City that's anti-static and it worked surprisingly well.

That's too bad about the Violator. I have the older 2014 Rhino reissue and I just checked it again - it's free of that type of defect. It's from Rainbo, so it would be kind of funny if it turns out to be a better press.

I know what you mean about the no-fill/stitch/bzzrt defect - I had that at exactly the same spots all over track 1 of of two copies of the Matthew E White LP from 2021, also from Optimal. Ended up returning both and giving up.

Listening to What's Going On again. It might be better than the One Step...will have to do a back to back listen but I do remember there being quite a lot of sibilance on the One Step whereas this one did a really nice job at somehow minimizing the sibilance on the vocals.
You're absolutely right! That One Step is hot garbage. If you bring it by my house and I'll dispose of it for you.

Listening to What's Going On again. It might be better than the One Step...will have to do a back to back listen but I do remember there being quite a lot of sibilance on the One Step whereas this one did a really nice job at somehow minimizing the sibilance on the vocals.
My copy got delivered a few hours ago, now after reading this I’m FIGHTING the urge to call it a half day race home and throw it on the deck lol

My copy got delivered a few hours ago, now after reading this I’m FIGHTING the urge to call it a half day race home and throw it on the deck lol
Haha I don’t wanna get your hopes up too much! I do really like this cut but the one step of WGO is my least favorite of all the one steps I have so far. Sibilance is an issue on it plus the 45 ruins the flow of the album a lot for me. I know some people are complaining about issues with this pressing. Definitely clean it and get rid of static—there was a LOT. But it will get played a lot more than the one step for me and it sounds awesome.

Sheeesh What’s Going On sounds absolutely perfect! Best I’ve ever heard it. Beats my 80’s reissue handily and smokes the original. Never heard his voice so clear and I can actually hear instrument separation. Packaging is great. Record 2 is great and the mono mixes are awesome. My records didn’t really have that much static but I’ll slip them into some anti static sleeves. Will definitely be spinning this often.

Sheeesh What’s Going On sounds absolutely perfect! Best I’ve ever heard it. Beats my 80’s reissue handily and smokes the original. Never heard his voice so clear and I can actually hear instrument separation. Packaging is great. Record 2 is great and the mono mixes are awesome. My records didn’t really have that much static but I’ll slip them into some anti static sleeves. Will definitely be spinning this often.
It almost makes me wonder if the One Step had a different source tape? I'm going to try to do an A/B tonight.

Back