Definitive Audiophile pressings

I like this justification for the fact it's a bit of a noisy pressing ("the surfaces are mostly audible between tracks and in the quietest sections") that is described as if it should be at best VG+, though they rate it Mint Minus Minus.

"If you want to make the trade-off between bad sound and quiet surfaces with whatever Heavy Vinyl pressing might be available, well, that's certainly your prerogative, but we can't imagine losing what's good about this music -- the size, the energy, the presence, the clarity, the weight -- just to hear it with less background noise."
Can you fucking imagine. Spending 2 G's and getting constant fuzz across the whole album? WHAT A CROCK. I've got pressings older than me that are DEAD quiet sound awesome and cost $40.

The best part has got to be the "it's about the music" section. "IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND $2000 ON A NOISY SUPERIORLY MUSICAL PRESSING THEN YOU JUST DON'T LOVE MUSIC MAAAAAAN"

I like this justification for the fact it's a bit of a noisy pressing ("the surfaces are mostly audible between tracks and in the quietest sections"). Um, isn't that how VG+ (at best) would be described? They rate it Mint Minus Minus.

"If you want to make the trade-off between bad sound and quiet surfaces with whatever Heavy Vinyl pressing might be available, well, that's certainly your prerogative, but we can't imagine losing what's good about this music -- the size, the energy, the presence, the clarity, the weight -- just to hear it with less background noise."
I think this guy previously wrote the infomercials for Sham-wow.

Can you fucking imagine. Spending 2 G's and getting constant fuzz across the whole album? WHAT A CROCK. I've got pressings older than me that are DEAD quiet sound awesome and cost $40.

The best part has got to be the "it's about the music" section. "IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND $2000 ON A NOISY SUPERIORLY MUSICAL PRESSING THEN YOU JUST DON'T LOVE MUSIC MAAAAAAN"
"assuming you have a highly-tweaked, high-performance front end of course." They're talking to you, @Mather.

War’s Greatest Hits (gold KG cut) showed up today from Newbury Comics! Pretty excited it shipped (and super fast at that). Happy to have some War back in my collection. I had the first couple with Eric Burdon and World is a Ghetto but sold them all in years past. This’ll do for now! Sounds great so far.

I picked up the half speeds of The Who Sell Out and Tommy today. Gotta say I really like both. Considering the source material they’re both really clean, have a pretty good soundstage and a nice amount of detail and dynamics. The bass is great when you crank them, Keith Moon is really propelling the band in these. I’d definitely recommend giving them a shot. Only issue is shitty paper inners.

I picked up the half speeds of The Who Sell Out and Tommy today. Gotta say I really like both. Considering the source material they’re both really clean, have a pretty good soundstage and a nice amount of detail and dynamics. The bass is great when you crank them, Keith Moon is really propelling the band in these. I’d definitely recommend giving them a shot. Only issue is shitty paper inners.
It seems to be popular around here to shit all over every recent half speed release but I will say I've had pretty good luck with them, including these amazing sounding albums from Everything but the Girl:

It seems to be popular around here to shit all over every recent half speed release but I will say I've had pretty good luck with them, including these amazing sounding albums from Everything but the Girl:

I get it because there are some notoriously poor ones but i like the ones I have too. These Who ones are up there with Dusty In Memphis as the best of the bunch that I’ve heard.

I returned my walmart wrong color californication. I still want the album and I remember people saying there was a definitive sounding copy. Anyone care to help?

That's great to hear. Now I'm wondering how this pressing of Tommy (which I don't own) compares to the 2014 BoomBoom remaster (which I do):

That's great to hear. Now I'm wondering how this pressing of Tommy (which I don't own) compares to the 2014 BoomBoom remaster (which I do):

I’m guessing Kev’s press will likely be a tad warmer and more organic sounding. But I’ve zero complaints in this press and it was in my local and fairly priced lol.

Just hitting Pinball Wizard, I’d forgotten how long this one is 😂, and it sounds magnificent!

Ordered this on Monday from Record City Japan; just received it. Crazy how fast they can be.

View attachment 147886

Looks very clean so I'm hopeful. Should be this one:

I almost bought that copy. What do you have to compare it to? Any other WYWH pressings?

Last edited:
I almost bought that copy. What do you have to compare it to? Any other WYWH pressings?
A 1975 US original and 2016 Grundman remaster/reissue. (Huh, back on the hot-stamper trail....)

Back