Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Msg from seller after we agreed to a $27 shipped price yesterday.

^^ above was from 12 hours ago^^^ ; i can see that u misconstrued that i agreed to $27 'all in', but, that is not the case; i was on my i~phone in a car, after bowling & beer, & did not see what u were offering,,,again, apologies; cancel or 31.50, your choice, cheers, & 'keep on a spinnin~!' wes
It’s a $4.50 difference! if he was a bit loose when he agreed then he should just eat the cost and move on. Consider it an “experience tax”, he now knows not to negotiate while buzzed.

For me I am telling dude to issue the refund. There is plenty of other albums you can spend that $31.50 on.

It’s a $4.50 difference! if he was a bit loose when he agreed then he should just eat the cost and move on. Consider it an “experience tax”, he now knows not to negotiate while buzzed.

For me I am telling dude to issue the refund. There is plenty of other albums you can spend that $31.50 on.
Oh I didn't pay him yet. I really hate this pay full price and then hope the correct refund amount comes through.
I negotiate a price and then get an established payment refund # before sending payment.

Sellers say they can't adjust price. I'm not sure. I've never been a seller.
This is a crappy process.

Open to some better advice for this cogs part....

I would say 60% of recent used discogs purchases are graded a grade too high. Usually I get a partial refund.

Also like to ask for a play test if I'm 50/50 on play condition. Most get back to me. Some snobby stores say they can't. A few ignore.

I like to send a message to sellers now before I buy something to make sure they physically have it.

Also, the interface change when there are a lot of versions of a album doesn't work very well when you select show more, maybe it's firefox ?

I’ve been having issues with the “show more” as well. I use Chrome so not just a Firefox issue.

I’ve been having issues with the “show more” as well. I use Chrome so not just a Firefox issue.
yah, there loosing biz so I hope they fix it
I can manually look up a specific pressing in google and it will show a discogs link to it, but doesn't help when you want to explore pressings, compare, etc.

I would say 60% of recent used discogs purchases are graded a grade too high. Usually I get a partial refund.

Also like to ask for a play test if I'm 50/50 on play condition. Most get back to me. Some snobby stores say they can't. A few ignore.

I like to send a message to sellers now before I buy something to make sure they physically have it.

Also, the interface change when there are a lot of versions of a album doesn't work very well when you select show more, maybe it's firefox ?
I agree.

There is a brick and mortar seller I bought from on Discogs who, twice now, listed having multiple copies of two LPs available. Both times, they have canceled my order saying 'the item must have gotten away from their inventory'. All 10 listed copies, I wondered? With 2 seperate LPs? I appreciate their quick refunds, but I wonder if it would be better for all involved if they would update their Discogs listings.

Curious, from the seller side, how does a seller have 5-10 individual listings per LP posted on Discogs and then have absolutely none in stock on more than than one occasion?

Last edited:
I think someone on discogs is trying to screw me. I sent them a brand new and unplayed record and they're claiming it's used and marked up. If they send me back a crap copy of the $180 album is there anything I can do?

I think someone on discogs is trying to screw me. I sent them a brand new and unplayed record and they're claiming it's used and marked up. If they send me back a crap copy of the $180 album is there anything I can do?
Hopefully someone else comes through with a better answer, but unfortunately I don't know that there is much you can do. I try to always take photos before sending out anything that expensive, so at least I can have that to fall back on in case of a dispute. Then you can claim that the item was not returned to you in the same condition that you sent it. Even then though, everything seems to tilt towards the buyer in these disputes so it's hard to predict how it'd turn out either way.

If I were in your shoes, I would take a deep breath and just focus on processing/coordinating a return. Assess the situation once the record is back in your hands. If it’s the worst case scenario and they’ve swapped your record for a different copy, you are out some money. It sucks and it might have trickle effects if money is tight but your sanity and energy is worth more than $180.

More than likely, the buyer saw/heard a tiny defect or flaw and got themselves worked up and they’ll send you back a record that looks almost identical to when you shipped it out. Then you just move on and relist it and just note whatever condition/flaw is present so the next buyer knows what to expect.

Back