Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Thats tempting. Price is good. so is the mofi. Is the string anti-skate hard to use?
Didn't read back the whole conversation, but the PLX is dead quiet. I used to hear every footstep in the room when I had a record on and now nothing. I can tap the side while a record is playing and no noise. It's built like a tank.

I didn't go with the fluance because it didn't have all the features of the PLX. I prefer the ability to adjust everything easily and was set on direct drive. (I'm an HVAC tech by trade and like to take parts out of the chain that can fail).

Anyway, highly recommend, but if I didn't answer something specific just ask.
[/QUOTE

I can second this. I just recently made the move from a U-Turn to the StudioDeck. Very pleased with the upgrade and the setup (including ant-skate) was very easy.
Thirded. Unlike the Music Hall/Pro-Ject anti-skate weight, which has a tendency to slip off the notched rod, the MoFi anti-skate weight stays in place.

my easy first upgrade will be the move to a magni heresy, then probably to the new cartridge depending on which one i want, then to some blue jeans cables (the hard part about getting interconnects is that i barely even need a foot (if i could get like 6 inches of good cable i would be easily satisfied) for the movement from the mani to the magni and need about 4 feet for the turntable to the mani.. which is probably why i wont go with the popular audiophile standard of audioquest (plus everyone debates the snake oil of them.. mostly because selling expensive digital cables like HDMI makes no objective sense)

though if im making so much upgrades i wonder why i dont just upgrade to a 500 or 800 dollar turntable instead of adding so much more stuff when there is better

Last edited:
my easy first upgrade will be the move to a magni heresy, then probably to the new cartridge depending on which one i want, then to some blue jeans cables (the hard part about getting interconnects is that i barely even need a foot (if i could get like 6 inches of good cable i would be easily satisfied) for the movement from the mani to the magni and need about 4 feet for the turntable to the mani.. which is probably why i wont go with the popular audiophile standard of audioquest (plus everyone debates the snake oil of them.. mostly because selling expensive digital cables like HDMI makes no objective sense)

though if im making so much upgrades i wonder why i dont just upgrade to a 500 or 800 dollar turntable instead of adding so much more stuff when there is better
What’s your current TT?

Gets my vote :)
looks like i'll finally have to join fluance gang... i kept hearing fluances were better since i first considered the Uturn.. saying the RT85 was so much better and that even the RT 81 was better.. or maybe i'll just go with a pro-ject

OCD is so FUCKING FUN

Last edited:
The Black might be a nice fit. The StudioDeck has all the adjustments you need to get the most out of that Shibata stylus.

I hope so...
Black is what started this. I tried it on a whim. It sounded amazing on great records.
, and great on the first 2\3 of good records. Mediocre records just sound bad at varying degrees. It needs a better table to function well. I’m also keeping the blue for those records that need it and as a backup. The blue is even better on the upgraded cartridge.

I was going to save for better speakers and amp, but I’m hoping this gives me enough table table to build around.

I think that PLX would have tracked great too, but I’m not sure it would have been a good match sonically. We’ll see but I think you guys put me on exactly what I needed and no more. thanks

Last edited:
looks like i'll finally have to join fluance gang... i kept hearing fluances were better since i first considered the Uturn.. saying the RT85 was so much better and that even the RT 81 was better.. or maybe i'll just go with a pro-ject

OCD is so FUCKING FUN
If I had just replaced my blue 1/1 I would not have moved away from the orbit yet. I would have stuck with blue and rolled my amp/speaker upgrades first. The black put a spell on me. I NEED it to work! :-)

I DO think if I had known about the RT85 a year and a half ago I would have chosen it. To me, looks like a better tracking or at least easier to dial orbit Special.

If I had just replaced my blue 1/1 I would not have moved away from the orbit yet. I would have stuck with blue and rolled my amp/speaker upgrades first. The black put a spell on me. I NEED it to work! :)

I DO think if I had known about the RT85 a year and a half ago I would have chosen it. To me, looks like a better tracking or at least easier to dial orbit Special.
but i dunno if i want to change turntables one year later because there is so much better or just try to upgrade it slightly (dunno whether to go red or gold for grado)

but i dunno if i want to change turntables one year later because there is so much better or just try to upgrade it slightly (dunno whether to go red or gold for grado)
Let me put it this way. If my stylus of choice worked fine on my orbit I wouldn’t have started looking. I can’t speak to other carts as I’m new and only used 2.

Also depends on how set up you are with phono, amp and speakers. my Biggest leaps have been phono and cartridge. I wonder if others with more experience could put a percentage on what effects sound improvements most.
0-100% all the stages portioned in there

Back