Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

My system isn't in the basement, basement is not setup to fit a strictly music based system due to 2 of 4 walls being made of 5 inch thick solid rock, also stainless steel cadaver table would be directly in front of right speaker , also left speaker would be directly in front of fireplace and radiator with shackles on it. Thus basement is theatre room, music can be listened to, but no point in putting good system down there due to makeup of room and the fact that the wall of knives would make it impossible to not reflect every single frequency in every single direction.
FTFY

Hi everyone, looking for upgrade recommendations to my system - below is my current set up. What would you recommend I should upgrade first and what do you think are good options?

I live in the Melbourne Beach area in Florida - so any recommendations for stores in the Central Florida area are also welcome.

• Integrated Amp - Rotel Tribute A11
  • CD Player - Rotel Tribute C11
  • Turntable - Orbit U-Turn - custom with acrylic platter, cue lever, walnut. Bought in 2017
  • Cartridge - Ortofon 2M Blue
  • Speakers - Q Acoustics 3050 Floor-standing Speaker
  • Other items:
    • Doug Audio VU3 Dual Analog Speaker Switch
      • Switch to use speakers either with Rotel to listen to music or
      • Old Yamaha receiver for TV (not thinking of upgrading Yamaha)
    • Cables - GearIT 14 AWG speakers wires
Looking for sound improvement and possible a better way to stream music. Would prefer for a turntable that I don't have to change manually the belt when moving from 33 to 45. Currently have plan with Apple Music (thru cell plan) can stream to Rotel but via bluetooth which lowers the fidelity. Otherwise I use an Apple TV with the Yamaha receiver but sound is worse than Rotel.

Another question, does it make sense to trade-in any of the equipment thru the Hi-Fi stores or is it better to sell thru Ebay or another website?

Budget hoping for less than 5k (closer to 3k if possible).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Would you recommend spending bulk of budget in one item or spreading it around? Wondering were is the biggest bang for the buck. Afraid that if I spread around the improvements will just be just in limited increments.

Would you recommend spending bulk of budget in one item or spreading it around? Wondering were is the biggest bang for the buck. Afraid that if I spread around the improvements will just be just in limited increments.
I think getting a better turntable and phono pre will do a lot of the heavy lifting improving your system. You could do really well here with ~$2k if you shop savvy on the used market. Speakers and amp are fine for the time being, but if you were trying to spread the load over a few years, I'd start with the turntable and phono stage.

Looking around, a used (or NOS) 1200GR shouldn't set you back more than like $1200-1400. You could get a used Sutherland Insight for ~$800-900. I speak from experience that's a solid combo. If you didn't need MC functionality you could get one of the Darlington phono stages for about half the Sutherland cost. That leaves you with ~$1-1.4k under your $3k budget. You could use that and whatever your 3050 might sell and grab something like the Wharfedale Linton or KLH Model or any number of the Revels on closeout. That would leave an amp upgrade down the line but I think the Rotels have more power than they state so your A11 probably has something closer to 70wpc which would work fine with all those.

Hi everyone, looking for upgrade recommendations to my system - below is my current set up. What would you recommend I should upgrade first and what do you think are good options?

I live in the Melbourne Beach area in Florida - so any recommendations for stores in the Central Florida area are also welcome.

• Turntable - Orbit U-Turn - custom with acrylic platter, cue lever, walnut. Bought in 2017
  • Other items:
Looking for sound improvement and possible a better way to stream music. Would prefer for a turntable that I don't have to change manually the belt when moving from 33 to 45. Currently have plan with Apple Music (thru cell plan) can stream to Rotel but via bluetooth which lowers the fidelity. Otherwise I use an Apple TV with the Yamaha receiver but sound is worse than Rotel.

Another question, does it make sense to trade-in any of the equipment thru the Hi-Fi stores or is it better to sell thru Ebay or another website?

Thanks in advance.

A phono stage is always a really worthwhile upgrade, ones like the Darlington ones which start at fair prices are a big jump over the ones built into amps. For a turntable the U-turn theory seems to get really nice plaudits from the people in here that have them and rocks your boxes.

For Apple Music and for sound quality I’d be looking at the eversolo or fiio streamers that run the app through a touch screen android implimentation. If sound quality on streaming isn’t as key any old streaming puck that does airplay 2 is fine.

I think getting a better turntable and phono pre will do a lot of the heavy lifting improving your system. You could do really well here with ~$2k if you shop savvy on the used market. Speakers and amp are fine for the time being, but if you were trying to spread the load over a few years, I'd start with the turntable and phono stage.

Looking around, a used (or NOS) 1200GR shouldn't set you back more than like $1200-1400. You could get a used Sutherland Insight for ~$800-900. I speak from experience that's a solid combo. If you didn't need MC functionality you could get one of the Darlington phono stages for about half the Sutherland cost. That leaves you with ~$1-1.4k under your $3k budget. You could use that and whatever your 3050 might sell and grab something like the Wharfedale Linton or KLH Model or any number of the Revels on closeout. That would leave an amp upgrade down the line but I think the Rotels have more power than they state so your A11 probably has something closer to 70wpc which would work fine with all those.
I upgraded to a 1200GR and a Sutherland Insight from a Uturn orbit and I think it was a huge upgrade in hindsight.

I’d spend the biggest portion of your upgrade budget on a turntable and phono preamp

• Other items:

Thanks in advance.
$3-5K will buy a nice phono, preamp and amp, especially if you shop used.
I would wait on the TT.
Might be the last item I would upgrade in your list.
Speakers would be priority next before the TT.

Patience is key.
Drop in a new component, listen for a bit and then keep an eye out for deals to bring on the next.
You'll be amazed with each step and appreciate the sound changes.

• Other items:

Thanks in advance.
Good advice above by all. I’d just add, don’t forget the cartridge. Carts can make a huge difference in a setup.

Last edited:
Anyone have any input, experience, feedback on an EAT Prelude TT?
View attachment 215931

Let me set the scenario. I wanted to bring mono into the mix in my rig, initially thinking of just going with a Hana or Sonata swap with my current carts (yet to be determined which one), but I may have an opportunity to pick up this TT really, REALLY, "cheap". In which case I started leaning towards adding a second deck (the EAT) and just set it up strictly for mono and just leave it be.

I know EAT is an off-shoot of Pro-Ject I believe, mixed "opinions" out there, the reviews seem positive, but I take the professional reviews with a grain of salt. Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated, I think I have a few days to pounce if I decide to go this route.
I haven’t heard that particular model, but I’ve heard a few different models from EAT and thought they were solid options in their respective price ranges. I like their tube phono pre.

EAT isn’t an offshoot of Pro-Ject, it’s a separate entity, with its own designs, but I think they share manufacturing. The principal of EAT is married to the principal of Pro-Ject, but has her own roots in the industry.

Lots of good recommendations already made. I’m going to encourage the TT and Phono Pre upgrade. I have a Darlington Lab MP7B and it makes a huge difference in my system with my MoFi Ultradeck and Project DC Evo TT.

On the streaming front if you’re going to stick with Apple Music, Eversolo is a good option. I’d go with the DMP-A8 over the A6 unless you plan on getting a high end external DAC.

The DAC in the DMP-A8 is really good and it’s a solid preamp that you could use to drive a power amp if you choose to upgrade your amp from the Rotel at some point in the future.

Last edited:
A matter of taste, but I don’t care for the 2M line.
The Hana SL was my move-up from the 2M Blue and I found it to be hugely beneficial. The Mark I versions are on sale now. Although I have tried other cartridges, I have always come back to the Hana.

The Hana SL does require a MC-capable phono or a step-up transformer (SUT). I used my Hana with a Sutherland Insight for several years. I’d recommend the Insight all day, every day as a first standalone phono.

Additionally, the U-Turn Theory is another great move-up choice from the Orbit if the 1200GR is a stretch.

The Hana SL was my move-up from the 2M Blue and I found it to be hugely beneficial. The Mark I versions are on sale now. Although I have tried other cartridges, I have always come back to the Hana.

The Hana SL does require a MC-capable phono or a step-up transformer (SUT). I used my Hana with a Sutherland Insight for several years. I’d recommend the Insight all day, every day as a first standalone phono.

Additionally, the U-Turn Theory is another great move-up choice from the Orbit if the 1200GR is a stretch.
I'd second the Hana SL, loved it on my UltraDeck, came full circle back to it recently and it's every bit as good as I remember. That said, the Grado Sonata3 is the MM/MI go to, in my opinion, if MC is off the table.

I'd second the Hana SL, loved it on my UltraDeck, came full circle back to it recently and it's every bit as good as I remember. That said, the Grado Sonata3 is the MM/MI go to, in my opinion, if MC is off the table.

• Other items:

Thanks in advance.
If looking to move to a MC or Grado MI cartridge, just remember that the styli are not user-replaceable. When the stylus wears down, then the cartridge needs to be exchanged for a new one or “re-tipped” professionally.

A MI series I like with a replaceable stylus is the Nagaoka MP series. I have a MP-300 which is comparable to my Hana SL to my ear at all but the highest frequencies. The Hana has a bit more “air” and “sparkle” at the top end, if those terms have meaning to you.

The stylus is upgradable to a fine line with a MP-500 stylus. The Nagaokas are much cheaper when ordered directly from Japan.

If looking to move to a MC or Grado MI cartridge, just remember that the styli are not user-replaceable. When the stylus wears down, then the cartridge needs to be exchanged for a new one or “re-tipped” professionally.

A MI series I like with a replaceable stylus is the Nagaoka MP series. I have a MP-300 which is comparable to my Hana SL to my ear at all but the highest frequencies. The Hana has a bit more “air” and “sparkle” at the top end, if those terms have meaning to you.

The stylus is upgradable to a fine line with a MP-500 stylus. The Nagaokas are much cheaper when ordered directly from Japan.
This is where I think the 2M Blue can be "serviceable" until they find funds for another cart. Upgrading the turntable and phono stage would open up the 2M Blue quite a bit. I've been using the 2M Bronze with my 20/20 (and Insight before it) and it brought new life to that series.

Some ideas to save money on carts:

Import the AT series from Thakker
Import Nagaoka from CDJapan or ebay
Use the 15% off codes at Music Direct or Deep Discount (they pop up frequently enough)
Use the TurntableLab 10% off code for email signup

Back