Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Speaker question. If my speakers are rated 25-200 rms and I were to use an amp that puts out more per channel than 200 watts, is that an issue?
That's a good question.

I always thought speakers will only pull what they need for gain, but obviously you can blow them with too much power also. I think that's just more of being irresponsible with the volume.

I have two amps connected to the L100s and things are sounding great. Neither exceed the RMS rating. That could just be the crossover keeping things under the threshold. But summed I am exceeding the L100 RMS.

Bottom line, I think you should be fine.

That's a good question.

I always thought speakers will only pull what they need for gain, but obviously you can blow them with too much power also. I think that's just more of being irresponsible with the volume.

I have two amps connected to the L100s and things are sounding great. Neither exceed the RMS rating. That could just be the crossover keeping things under the threshold. But summed I am exceeding the L100 RMS.

Bottom line, I think you should be fine.
This gave me a flashback to my brother-in-law driving around with blown out speakers in his shitty dodge neon in the 90s with the volume still cranked to 11.

Speaker question. If my speakers are rated 25-200 rms and I were to use an amp that puts out more per channel than 200 watts, is that an issue?
No. Not unless you are stress testing the speakers for long periods of time. My JBL SCL-2 in my theater are tested to something like 443 watts, and they’ve been hooked up to an amp with 700+ watt capability (ATI AT-543NC) at their 6 Ohm nominal rating, 900 watts at 4 Ohms, and they’ve never had an issue. JBL/Harman engineers didn’t even raise a single concern when the theater was being built and tuned.

No. Not unless you are stress testing the speakers for long periods of time. My JBL SCL-2 in my theater are tested to something like 443 watts, and they’ve been hooked up to an amp with 700+ watt capability (ATI AT-543NC) at their 6 Ohm nominal rating, 900 watts at 4 Ohms, and they’ve never had an issue. JBL/Harman engineers didn’t even raise a single concern when the theater was being built and tuned.
@Mather why aren’t you consulting JBL/Harman engineers instead of talking to us pleebs?

Ok perfect, I didn't think so but was curious... Got my local to let me test a few things on L100s at the shop. Gunna check out the SimAudio Moon 641 and 340i, Chord Ultima and McIntosh 8950. Not really because these are necessarily what I'm looking at, but because at least I'll get an idea between differences and what sort of price point I can look at. Realistically most of these units are too expensive unless I got a pretty crazy deal....

My home theater dealer (and all around great guy) is really tight with Harman. He did Dr. Toole’s home theater and a few other of the muckity-mucks. That’s why they ever consorted with the likes of me.
Yeah my contacts with JBL etc are the distributer, not the manufacturers so they really don't know much, the techs know more if I talk to them but generally they don't have much info beyond what I can find on line.

I do think SimAudio Moon is a definite possibility in terms of amps although I don't get dealer pricing on it, the Utima will be fun but realistically even with my discount it's still way too much...

Yeah my contacts with JBL etc are the distributer, not the manufacturers so they really don't know much, the techs know more if I talk to them but generally they don't have much info beyond what I can find on line.

I do think SimAudio Moon is a definite possibility in terms of amps although I don't get dealer pricing on it, the Utima will be fun but realistically even with my discount it's still way too much...
Ahhh… you do, just Canadian ones are useless. Gotcha.

Back