Everything Video Games!

I've been hacking my way through a fresh Elden Ring playthrough and am up to level 90 and (stuck at) the flame giant guy. By the time I'm through to handle Shadow of the Erdtree I'm gonna be burnt out (that's a lie; I'll never burn out on Soulsbourne games apparently). I have a NG+2 (or 3?) character from grabbing achievements, but am figuring the scaling will be off/weird and the experience won't be the same as with a char on an initial playthrough. My new alt has been a strength build, which I never went for with Dark Souls; for DS 1-3 I sword-and-boarded it with a focus on dex, usually with a claymore (save your fancy epic weapons and give me a simple, heavy sword; spice it up with lightning if you must). My first Elden Ring character was a(n overpowered) mage, but this time I'm running around in light armor with a big ol' dragon tooth (or claw?). I sometimes switch out Rhadan's Starscourge Greatsword, though I don't really see much value in the two-handed version.

Any big swords in Elden Ring folks favor?

I played Elden Ring on Xbox One and put about 100 hrs into it. I don't have that Xbox One anymore, though I do have Elden Ring on PS5. The thought of having to play through most of the game again to get to the DLC is daunting.

I've been hacking my way through a fresh Elden Ring playthrough and am up to level 90 and (stuck at) the flame giant guy. By the time I'm through to handle Shadow of the Erdtree I'm gonna be burnt out (that's a lie; I'll never burn out on Soulsbourne games apparently). I have a NG+2 (or 3?) character from grabbing achievements, but am figuring the scaling will be off/weird and the experience won't be the same as with a char on an initial playthrough. My new alt has been a strength build, which I never went for with Dark Souls; for DS 1-3 I sword-and-boarded it with a focus on dex, usually with a claymore (save your fancy epic weapons and give me a simple, heavy sword; spice it up with lightning if you must). My first Elden Ring character was a(n overpowered) mage, but this time I'm running around in light armor with a big ol' dragon tooth (or claw?). I sometimes switch out Rhadan's Starscourge Greatsword, though I don't really see much value in the two-handed version.

Any big swords in Elden Ring folks favor?
Two hands are better used for holding two swords... or boat anchors! I ran anchor for a long time, then added some kind of hammer, can't remember which one. I normally go for a strength build, that character was on NG+2. Also had a dex/bleed build on NG+1, but I actually struggled with that playstyle. Hopefully my recent Bloodborne playthrough will help bring more balance there.

I agree though, a fresh build seems like the best way to do the DLC. That being said, I don't know what kind of build I want to do this time around.

Two hands are better used for holding two swords... or boat anchors! I ran anchor for a long time, then added some kind of hammer, can't remember which one. I normally go for a strength build, that character was on NG+2. Also had a dex/bleed build on NG+1, but I actually struggled with that playstyle. Hopefully my recent Bloodborne playthrough will help bring more balance there.

I agree though, a fresh build seems like the best way to do the DLC. That being said, I don't know what kind of build I want to do this time around.
maybe I gotta read up and watch a video or two but the two-handed move set for that sword just feels like the one-hand attack, save for I’m holding a spare sword in my shield hand; I don’t do a right-left, one-two attack but rather one, one, right, right.

Ok I just tried the anchor for the first time and it’s pretty fun.

Ok I just tried the anchor for the first time and it’s pretty fun.
Agreed, it's very fun. I remembered what the other weapon was - Godrick's Axe. I think to use two weapons as one, they have to be the same category. The anchor is in the axe group for some reason. Sub optimal, even for that group, but half the fun in these games for me is just doing your own thing. Hell, my first playthrough of Bloodborne used the Kirkhammer a lot even though there's better weapons. I ended up switching to Ludwig's Holy Blade this playthrough because it's essentially the same thing but with slightly more reach.

Got an exciting Bloodborne update! Been making my way through the DLC, and I'm happy to report that the Orphan of Kos is no more! Really fun, but challenging fight, might be my favorite in the game. Maria was also a good one, though she took significantly less tries than Orphan. I spent somewhere between 2 to 3 hours doing this fight yesterday, the winning battle ending in a clutch stagger + visceral attack with no heals left.
Beat The One Reborn this past week so I'm officially further than I've ever been in the game from my PS4 save file. (Also toppled Micolash and Mergo's Wet Nurse.) Just a few optional bosses/areas left including Cainhurst before DLC and final boss.

Beat The One Reborn this past week so I'm officially further than I've ever been in the game from my PS4 save file. (Also toppled Micolash and Mergo's Wet Nurse.) Just a few optional bosses/areas left including Cainhurst before DLC and final boss.
Cainhurst is one of my favorite areas in the game. Minor spoiler, but don't get discouraged by the first enemies in that area if you feel underpowered. Have you fought Ebrietas?

Back