Fresh Grabs

1718816429642.png
this album by my favorite japanese indie band almost never comes up! i pulled the trigger last month on the only copy online, through mercari/buyee. it was a little pricier than i'd have liked, but not so bad considering the rarity, and who knows how long i'd be waiting for another if i missed it?

it came pretty quickly from japan all things considered, but i got very anxious yesterday when i saw it was out for delivery in the middle of the heat dome—a reminder that you're taking your life in your hands when doing mailorder during the summer these days. mercifully it wasn't warped and it plays great.

tempted to do a few more mercari/buyee purchases for things that simply can't be had in the US, but i don't think i'll be ordering any high ticket items until autumn...

Gonna need definitive rankings on how these sound
Like all my recent psych acquisitions or just this particular batch. Also, pressing wise, tape quality* or psych rocky?

*My favorite recently has been Back Jack but that tape was clearly fucked cause shit drops out and all kinds of crazy shit that was not intentional.

The Mainstream label reissues are fantastic. Most are Boom Boom cuts. I need to give them another few spins before I could rank them all.
Good to know, will check them out. Most of these psych reissues seem to hit the bargain bin almost instantaneously (save a few) so was curious on the merit of them.

finally found a clean US original of “Veedon Fleece” for $10 at half price books. what a gorgeous album.

i caved and got the VMP a couple years ago but i think the slightly rolled-off, inviting sound of this copy better suits the album than the dryer, more detailed sound of the digital remaster. a headphone listen is needed to make the final determination however…IMG_9413.jpeg

Thanks to @ngower for some Portland Maine record store recs! Picked up these on my trip:
IMG_3436.jpeg
IMG_3392.jpeg
Lonnie Liston Smith is a really clean OG. Ceasar Frazier is the BeWith reissue. The reggae comps are killer—usually around $10 a piece and are Kendun cuts so they should great. BVSC is the EU Bernie cut. A buddy said that’s better than the VMP so I’ve been meaning to pick it up. Hailu Mergia was a rec from one of the guys working at one of the shops when he saw me looking in the world music section. He asked if I wanted to hear it and I said sure then realized it was sealed. He said don’t worry about it and opened it for me and played it on the store speakers which was pretty cool of him!

Thanks to @ngower for some Portland Maine record store recs! Picked up these on my trip:
View attachment 206632
View attachment 206633
Lonnie Liston Smith is a really clean OG. Ceasar Frazier is the BeWith reissue. The reggae comps are killer—usually around $10 a piece and are Kendun cuts so they should great. BVSC is the EU Bernie cut. A buddy said that’s better than the VMP so I’ve been meaning to pick it up. Hailu Mergia was a rec from one of the guys working at one of the shops when he saw me looking in the world music section. He asked if I wanted to hear it and I said sure then realized it was sealed. He said don’t worry about it and opened it for me and played it on the store speakers which was pretty cool of him!
Recognize Enterprise trademark paper slips, where else did you land?

Recognize Enterprise trademark paper slips, where else did you land?
BVSC and Hailu were from enterprise (think they were my favorite shop). The reggae comps were from Open House—there’s a section of records in there that must be consignment. They had some cool stuff. Was about 1/10th of the size as last time I went though. Hit up most of the stuff on Congress when my son was napping and my wife watched him at the airbnb haha. Strange Maine was super disappointing this time. Some guy came in to sell 4 LPs and then tried to sell the owner a meat grinder lol. Electric Buddhas had a promo copy of zeppelin 2 on the wall which is the RL cut on both sides…..but it was $900 hah. Actually doesn’t seem to be a crazy price considering the condition and previous online sales. Moody Lords had the Lonnie Liston and Ceasar Frazier—probably my 2nd favorite shop. Super nice there and good selection

BVSC and Hailu were from enterprise (think they were my favorite shop). The reggae comps were from Open House—there’s a section of records in there that must be consignment. They had some cool stuff. Was about 1/10th of the size as last time I went though. Hit up most of the stuff on Congress when my son was napping and my wife watched him at the airbnb haha. Strange Maine was super disappointing this time. Some guy came in to sell 4 LPs and then tried to sell the owner a meat grinder lol. Electric Buddhas had a promo copy of zeppelin 2 on the wall which is the RL cut on both sides…..but it was $900 hah. Actually doesn’t seem to be a crazy price considering the condition and previous online sales. Moody Lords had the Lonnie Liston and Ceasar Frazier—probably my 2nd favorite shop. Super nice there and good selection
Gotta hit up Deep Groove next time you’re
In Maine, but sounds like you got a pretty good rotation in

Back