Fresh Grabs

Me too. Can’t wait to hear @zdkaiser ‘s thoughts
Need time with it still to evaluate the audio. My LP of this album (recent reissue campaign pressed at Optimal) is a tad noisy. And Floyd is one band where I dont want to hear surface noise.

Packaging is really nice. 60 pg photobook and other trinkets. Comes in a gatefold 7-inch style sleeve.

It was $29 online.

Call me Ishmael because I am knocking down my white whales.

Cornershop - When I was Born for the 7th Time (UK) has been on my hunt list for awhile and I finally bit the bullet and paid the price for it. OOO since 1997.
Also been watching for a reasonably priced Japanese pressing of the Echo & the Bunnymen self-titled. RecordCity.jp happened to have it when I put the Cornershop in my cart, at no additional shipping cost. The Japanese pressing of the early Echo albums are excellent, though this one is a bit underwhelming compared the excellent pressings I have of Ocean Rain and Heaven Up Here.
IMG_0379.jpg

Cornershop - When I was Born for the 7th Time (UK) has been on my hunt list for awhile and I finally bit the bullet and paid the price for it. OOO since 1997.
Also been watching for a reasonably priced Japanese pressing of the Echo & the Bunnymen self-titled. RecordCity.jp happened to have it when I put the Cornershop in my cart, at no additional shipping cost. The Japanese pressing of the early Echo albums are excellent, though this one is a bit underwhelming compared the excellent pressings I have of Ocean Rain and Heaven Up Here.
View attachment 207081
Woah! Nice! Hopefully this was the sacrifice we needed to make to the vinyl gods to finally get a Cornershop reissue campaign going in the next few months.

Woah! Nice! Hopefully this was the sacrifice we needed to make to the vinyl gods to finally get a Cornershop reissue campaign going in the next few months.
Yup. I am expecting them to announce any day now deluxe expanded sets at reasonable prices of all their albums.

Jimmy Deuchar - Jimmie Deuchar Showcase (Vogue Records, 1953 First 10" Pressing)
Shake Keane And The Michael Garrick Quartette - A Case Of Jazz (Airborne Records, 1964 First 7" Pressing)

A couple of British jazz rarities to start with today. The Jimmy Deuchar is an album that I have on my wantlist but had never seen a copy until this popped up for sale. Equally, the Shake Keane/Michael Garrick is a really rare album and I lucked out on this affordable copy because it was missing the sleeve. My odd purchase of the week was the sleeve for the Tempo compilation "Swingin' The Blues" which I have been after for years (the record, not the sleeve specifically). I don't have the record yet but if it ever did pop up for sale without a sleeve I can complete the set.

IMG_2702.JPG

Mike Westbrook Orchestra - On Duke's Birthday (Hat Hut Records, 1985 First Pressing)
Mike Westbrook - Love For Sale (Hat Hut Records, 1986 First Pressing)
Mike Westbrook - Westbrook-Rossini (Hat Hut Records, 1987 First Pressing)

I lucked out this week on some super cheap Mike Westbrook albums from the BBC Gramophone Library. The library had one of the largest most complete collections on the planet and was used by DJ's and radio hosts throughout the BBC. Many were missing the sleeves (like these) but would have scans and notes written on the card outers. The back of these have a returns card on the front (like the one on the bottom right) and in one case it was never even played!

IMG_2718.JPG

Françoise Hardy - S/T (Disques Vogue, 1963 First French Pressing)
Cecil Taylor - Michigan State University - April 15th 1976 (Live On Vinyl, 2016 Bootleg Pressing)
Bill Le Sage / Ronnie Ross - Twice Times Keyboard (World Record Club, 1966 First Pressing)
John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers - A Hard Road (Decca, 1967 First Stereo Pressing)

A few from this week's carboot sale. I have to admit to not being familiar with Françoise Hardy but I did see several articles and posts about her passing a few weeks ago and when I came across this self-titled album for £1, it felt like a good time to get to know her music. The Cecil Taylor is a bootleg recording of a live concert. I don't expect much in terms of audio quality but it seemed like quite a novelty to find a bootleg jazz album on vinyl. The Bill Le Sage/Ronnie Ross is a cheapo album but again, for a quid it's worth a punt. Finally, I stumbled across this John Mayall album which I was certain I had, but Discogs told me otherwise. Turned out that I do have it (in Mono) and that Discogs wasn't loading at the time. Ah well, it was an affordable buy and might be an upgrade!

IMG_2719.JPG

Tokyo Jazz Joints / Rare Mags - Zine - 2024
Vogue / Tempo Catalogue - 1960

A couple of magazines that are music related. Tokyo Jazz Joints held an exhibition at Rare Mags over in Stockport recently. It was too far for me to get to but they did release the zine on their website afterwards. Its full of great photographs of Japanese Jazz "Kissa" which forms part of Philip Arneill and James Catchpole's huge project. An extra cool bit of paraphernalia is this jazz catalogue highlighting records from the British Vogue and Tempo labels!

IMG_2700.JPG

20240701_121903.jpg
Last grab batch for a while besides some preorders that are coming this year.

Nmesh / Telepath テレパシー能力者 – ロストエデンへのパス = The Path To Lost Eden (I recently discovered this was reissued on vinyl)
Lone - Always Inside Your Head (I've been wanting to pick this up for a while now - was one of my favorite albums in 2021)
Serge Gamesbourg Presents - Boston Goes Disco!

June Acquisitions

3 Moons - Astronomy of Dreams
Joan Bibiloni - El Sur
C418 - Minecraft Volume Alpha
C418 - Minecraft Volume Beta
Alice Coltrane - Eternity
Contours - Elevations

20240630_062445.jpg

Moon Glyph held a 25% off sale on Bandcamp three weeks ago, prompting me to buy two releases that were on my wishlist for $44 shipped. This record by 3 Moons was tossed in for free! I have no idea what it sounds like.
Joan Bibiloni's entry from the early days of MFM's existence was repressed recently, inching me closer towards all of the MFM titles I'd like. They all work so well in tandem for DJ sets. Bibiloni's album here is frontloaded with a trio of boogie tracks, and some Balearic chillers following.
Went through with a second order from Paladin and got the first volume of the Minecraft OST and LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver (found in the second photo) together. A very satisfied customer from the these first two orders. The prices are hard to beat. Got the second Minecraft OST from Target, but is damaged/warped, even worse for the replacement copy.
My sale order from the Memorial Day sale at Superior Viaduct's website arrived three weeks ago, including the Alice Coltrane reissue above. Hoping it'll be solid like all the others from SV.
Another MFM title, another worthy add to the MFM label.

Dadawah - Peace and Love
Nicolas Gaunin - Wormhole
Beth Gibbons - Lives Outgrown
Henryk Górecki, Beth Gibbons, Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Krzysztof Penderecki - Symphony No. 3 (Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs) Op. 36
Byard Lancaster - It's Not Up to Us
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

20240630_063437.jpg

I'm not a reggae fan, though Dadawah (which was initially recommended to me from MP over a year ago) was in the SV sale. It is completely foreign from how I understood reggae records sounded; much more droney, ethereal, and more of an odyseey. It's almost like "what if Can played reggae music?" to me.
Nicolas Gaunin's latest on the Moon Glyph label sees him continue the sounds he explored on Hulahula Kāne. Tribal, with plenty of experimentation and percussive twists and turns.
Beth Gibbons's return is an AotY contender for certain. Her involvement in providing vocal lead on Henryk Górecki's "Symphony No. 3" is aching.
Decided on this Byard Lancaster record from the SV sale, considering the recommended from their hype stickers are usually on point (FFO Albert Ayler, Don Cherry, Pharoah Sanders in this case). Free jazz that is fairly accessible for the genre.
I remember listening to Sound of Silver for the first time in 2017 and enjoying it a lot. I haven't listened to it much since then, but I saw it as a restock when I was looking to add one more item to my second ever Paladin Vinyl order. With the discount, it seemed like a good choice. Yes! Further validated on my love of Squid's Bright Green Field.

Roberto Musci - Tower of Silence
Phill Niblock - Nothin to Look at Just a Record
Prima Materia - La Coda Della Tigre - Tail of the Tiger
Turn on the Sunlight - You Belong
V/A - 10
V/A - Alfa/Yen Records 1980 - 1987: Techno Pop And Other Electronic Adventures In Tokyo

20240630_064758.jpg

Roberto Musci's Tower of Silence was another long OOP title from MFM. It is a unique space between tribal, African, ambient, and avant-folk musical spheres. I didn't really need any convincing seeing it was on the MFM label already, so I was glad to see it at Passenger Seat Records.
Phill Niblock's minimalist Nothin to Look at Just a Record is a droney pair of trombone tracks totaling just over 42min. Just like most records of this type, it is best played loud to draw you in deeper. RIP, Phill.
This lone record from the avant-collective Prima Materia is another drone LP, with throat singing being the emphasis here. Also acquired from the SV sale.
Turn on the Sunlight's You Belong is the other LP that I purchased from the Moon Glyph sale. A 2xLP with flimsy, thin composition gatefold. Has more of a spiritual/ambient jazz leaning.
I wanted to get the 10 compilation last year, but between MP closing their physical location from the physical release time last year and not knowing another store that would carry MFM releases for a reasonable price, I hadn't purchased it until recently from Passenger Seat Records, knowing that they also stock MFM and similar esoteric material. Of course, RIP to one of the Music From Memory's co-founders, Jamie Tiller. It was one of the final releases that he worked on with the team prior to his sudden passing (construction accident), and with it being released on the 10th anniversary of the label, it felt right for the label to dedicate this compilation of single submission tracks from MFM standouts (Gigi Masin, Joan Bibiloni, Suso Saiz, Yu Su, etc.) in his honor.
This techno-pop compilation comes way of @kvetcha from last week! Thank you again. I will listen to it at some point this month.

Last edited:

View attachment 207081
I knew it was one of you who bought that Echo album out of my cart 😢

Yesterday had some fun deliveries. Most excited to finally get Castle Rat and a signed copy to boot. Another Pumpkins boot from Paladin, as well as the KRS One 30th anniversary reissue that I regretted not getting when it was first announced. And the two Girl Talk TTL exclusives. Kind of hate that they put the numbering on a sticker on the cellophane wrap tho.

IMG_20240702_093813.jpg
IMG_20240702_094029.jpg
IMG_20240702_093907.jpg
IMG_20240702_094004.jpg
IMG_20240702_093938.jpg

Back