Fresh Grabs

The Bird Curtis Quintet - S/T (Tony Pike Music LTD, 1968 First Signed Pressing)

A while ago I came across one of the rarest British jazz records out there, The Bird Curtis Quintet's 1968 self-titled release on Tony Pike's private pressing label. To avoid tax just 99 copies of this album were pressed and lord only knows how many survived over the years. The first copy that I found was actually being sold as a framed piece of 'art' and I was able to free it and clean it up. It wasn't the perfect copy though. Flash forward to this week and I was able to get a second copy (the only other copy I have seen for sale in all my years of listening to jazz) and incredibly it is signed by all 5 member, and definitely an audio upgrade too. I cant quite believe it.

IMG_2571.JPG

John Mayall With Eric Clapton - Blues Breakers (Decca, 1966 First Signed Pressing)

Speaking of signed records, I have been looking for a decent copy of John Mayall's "Beano Album" for a while and passed on a few copies. One of the shops near work had a copy on their wall for a decent price and as a bonus it is signed by Mayall on the front and, strangely, on the back of the sleeve!

IMG_2570.JPG

The National - Cherry Tree Vol. 6 (Cherry Tree, 2024 Members Exclusive Pressing)

A few people have shared their copies over on the Cherry Tree thread, and my copy of Volume 6 also arrived this week. Not as strong of a set as past years in my opinion, but I listened through yesterday and its a solid set of live tracks. The white 'tile' on the bottom left of the photo is a few sheets of pop-out magnets.

IMG_2575.JPG

Isaac Hayes - Black Moses (Enterprise, 2024 Vinyl Me Please Essentials Pressing)
Harry Nilsson - A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night (RCA, 2025 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)

Finally, my VMP box arrived (with the wrong address again - I don't know how it got to me). I am usually familiar with the Classics releases but wasn't with Harry Nilsson so I decided to go in blind...I'm not a fan. The liner notes booklet reads as if its the greatest album of all time (I'm pretty sure those words are used actually) but to me it was just lukewarm easy listening. Issac Hayes on the other hand is fantastic, really punchy sound. The poster is a cool touch too.

IMG_2573.JPGIMG_2574.JPG

Rad tour exclusive!

1000006127.jpg

Extra fun bit of serendipity... we stopped for a coffee on our way here and Prince's "I Would Die 4 U" was playing in the coffee shop. I was singing and dancing my ass off. Fast forward 10 minutes and upon flipping to look at the back after buying this, what song does he cover to kick off Side 2?! You guessed it...

Very excited for this white whale. Probably one of the more obscure 90s releases from Matador records, not helped by the copyright infringing cover. Though probably sold so few copies that Crown Royal never noticed it.
Liquor Giants - s/t
Formed by Gun Club guitarist Ward Dotson, this is pretty much a solo recording. Excellent power pop.

I stumbled across a still sealed copy in Australia at a price I could not say no to. And yes I am recreating my 90s cd collection on vinyl.

IMG_0377.jpg

Rad tour exclusive!

View attachment 206729

Extra fun bit of serendipity... we stopped for a coffee on our way here and Prince's "I Would Die 4 U" was playing in the coffee shop. I was singing and dancing my ass off. Fast forward 10 minutes and upon flipping to look at the back after buying this, what song does he cover to kick off Side 2?! You guessed it...
Excited to hear this but not excited to have to wait till mid-August...and to hope he still has copies then!

Wow. Thats some excellent finds. The second -to-last photo you have Alanis, Fiona, Rage, SY Washing Machine, Pumpkins, RHCP One Hot Minute. Tori, SY Experimental Jet Set, Waits and James.

What’s the album behind Tori Amos and the random colored wax after Washing Machine?

Also, how much does a haul like this set you back?

So…. What’s the story on your copy of Tribe?

The “Custom” sticker?

People on Reddit were speculating that it might be a way to differentiate pressing plants? Beyond that they couldn’t find any other differences that would account for the sticker.

Yeah, I dunno!
So long as it sounds better than my old single disc version, I'm okay with not knowing.

Back