Fresh Grabs

A week late on these but happy to have swung by my favorite local and a Durham record show last weekend.

I have sold about 300 albums from my collection over the past two months but have seemingly found plenty to replace them with! 😅

PXL_20241007_030420626 (1).jpg

From the local. All $8 were $5 last weekend.

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats. First Zappa proper album in the collection. Hard to beat for the price and condition.

Yusef Lateef - Part of the Search - Adding to the list of random Yusef albums I have been grabbing recently.

King Curtis & the Kingpins - King Size Soul -

Return to Forever (Chick Corea) - Good player copy and hard to argue that the artwork isn't memorable

Galt McDermott's New Pulse Band - Sealed and with original radio station inserts. Glad to have in the collection to pair with my VMP Nucleus.
PXL_20241007_030716492.jpg

At the record show, Sundazed Records had a booth with their reissues and a separate section with used. Grabbed the assortment here on a whim. All label reissues were $10 per disc.

The Barrence Whitfield Soul Savage Arkestra - Songs from the Sun Ra Cosmos

The Paisleys - Cosmic Mind at Play

Dexter Gordon - Daddy Plays the Horn - 2013 Reissue

The Five Americans - Progressions

Joe Puma - Wild Kitten

Ars Nova - Sunshine & Shadows

PXL_20241007_031828119.jpg

Milt Jackson - Sunflower - found at another vendor at the record fair. Glad to finally find a clean copy locally. Had been on my list for some time.

Jimmy McGriff - Soul Sugar - left this one off the list from the local.

A week late on these but happy to have swung by my favorite local and a Durham record show last weekend.

I have sold about 300 albums from my collection over the past two months but have seemingly found plenty to replace them with! 😅

View attachment 215448

From the local. All $8 were $5 last weekend.

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats. First Zappa proper album in the collection. Hard to beat for the price and condition.

Yusef Lateef - Part of the Search - Adding to the list of random Yusef albums I have been grabbing recently.

King Curtis & the Kingpins - King Size Soul -

Return to Forever (Chick Corea) - Good player copy and hard to argue that the artwork isn't memorable

Galt McDermott's New Pulse Band - Sealed and with original radio station inserts. Glad to have in the collection to pair with my VMP Nucleus.
View attachment 215453

At the record show, Sundazed Records had a booth with their reissues and a separate section with used. Grabbed the assortment here on a whim. All label reissues were $10 per disc.

The Barrence Whitfield Soul Savage Arkestra - Songs from the Sun Ra Cosmos

The Paisleys - Cosmic Mind at Play

Dexter Gordon - Daddy Plays the Horn - 2013 Reissue

The Five Americans - Progressions

Joe Puma - Wild Kitten

Ars Nova - Sunshine & Shadows

View attachment 215449

Milt Jackson - Sunflower - found at another vendor at the record fair. Glad to finally find a clean copy locally. Had been on my list for some time.

Jimmy McGriff - Soul Sugar - left this one off the list from the local.
Killer haul there! I've never heard of that Galt Macdermot. Will have to check it out!

I went into my local today and bought three black vinyl / standard editions records (Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, The Smile, Ezra Collective - all fantastic). I just checked on Discogs and in all cases fewer people have the black vinyl copy than the "limited edition" alternative, often by a factor of 5 or even 9. Seemed pretty striking. Asked the guy at my local about it later, and he said they often ordered 10x more coloured vinyl than black of things. I'm not an anti-coloured snob, just prefer knowing that sound should be great with black rather than worrying about it...

I went into my local today and bought three black vinyl / standard editions records (Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, The Smile, Ezra Collective - all fantastic). I just checked on Discogs and in all cases fewer people have the black vinyl copy than the "limited edition" alternative, often by a factor of 5 or even 9. Seemed pretty striking. Asked the guy at my local about it later, and he said they often ordered 10x more coloured vinyl than black of things. I'm not an anti-coloured snob, just prefer knowing that sound should be great with black rather than worrying about it...

I don’t think that for most acts that the coloured is even limited anymore beyond the fact it likely won’t get repressed and black likely will be the one that remains in press.

Yesterday was an incredible mail day. I didn't even get shipping notices on a couple of these so it was a killer surprise.

First up is the new album by a band who put out one of my AoTY with their debut. Can't wait to give this one a listen. It was pricey and very limited from France, but couldn't resist especially with the nod to Sun Ra.
IMG_20241008_093332.jpg
Everyone was excited for this one.
IMG_20241008_093404.jpg
New MFIN' Chat Pile!!!!!
IMG_20241008_093432.jpg

Huge thanks to @Kris for a copy of this months fantastic album of the month. If you aren't participating in the N&G club you absolutely should. This is a banger of a pick and wouldn't have been on my radar if Kris hasn't picked it. I'm picking next month's and the clue thread is ripe for one of you to solve it and win a copy. I'm 99.9% positive that you will not have heard the album I picked before and that it'll be one that you will spend a lot of time with. A little bonus clue for readers of this thread is that my album pick came out this year.
IMG_20241008_093505.jpg

Finally I got this shirt from one of my favorite instrumental Doom metal bands. These guys are really nice and I've chatted with them a few times online. They've always been willing to sign my records and I bought this on Friday and it's already here. Plus they had XXXL in stock, and they're silk screened. I don't get many band shirts because I'm picky and need them big. Love Clouds Taste Satanic 🤘🤘🤘17283951566837428074857680507383.jpg

Recent editions to the collection:
Vertical Horizon - Everything you want
BDP - Sex & violence
juice
Angélica Garcia - Gemelo
Boyz in the hood
Aerosmith - get your wings
Nilüfer Yanya - my method actor

Saw Nilüfer and Angélica in concert the other night. One of the best shows ive seen this year. I recommend checking them out if they go to your town.
20241008_195029.jpg
20241006_230332.jpg

Tandem Coffee and Vinyl club added some heat to this month's package:

The Robin Jones Seven - El Maja (Apollo Sound, 1972 First Pressing)
The Chris McGregor Group - Very Urgent (Polydor, 1968 First Pressing)
Johnny Harris - Movements (Warner Bros, 1970 First Pressing)
Joe Harriott Quintet - Blue Harriott (Columbia, 1959 First 7" Pressing)

Some British jazz heat. I have been after the Robin Jones Seven album for years, but I have never found a copy at a decent price, so I was thrilled to finally find this. It's such a killer album, full of danceable, funky tunes! The Johnny Harris is one that I wasn't too familiar with but I was able to get this for next to nothing.

IMG_5648.JPG

Gigi Gryce Quintet - Saying Somethin'! (New Jazz, 1962 Esquire Records UK Pressing)
Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert (ECM, 1975 First German Pressing)
The New Elvin Jones Trio - Puttin' It Together (Blue Note, 1975 Pressing)

I visited a record shop here in London that's a bit out of my way but I have been meaning to check it out for years. It was a fantastic shop called "Soul Brothers" and I spent about 45mins in there, chatting with the owner who kept going to the back and returning with a stack of jazz albums for me to check through. I left with the Jarrett (my first on vinyl) and Jones albums. The Gyrce is one that I have an original US pressing of but this esquire was too tempting at just a tenner!

IMG_5649.JPG

My wife came home early, took me out to lunch to get me out of the house for a bit since I haven't been feeling the best. Went a little out of the way to go brows a brick and mortar shop and pass some time. Wasn't actively looking for this, but you don't walk away from certain opportunities just to regret them later. I even got it for a reasonable price.

All the inserts and goodies, in pristine condition, needs a bath :)
20241016_134232.jpg 20241016_134513.jpg

Back