Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

It was weird typing that. I used to be much more versed in RHH, from MC Thick, Scarface, Getto Boys, Arrested Development, MC Brains, 2 Live Crew to pretty much everybody on Yo MTV raps, Digital Underground, to the GFunk to Missy Elliot to whatever. I kind of just stopped listening right around when 50 Cent started getting big. Mostly just because I got busy.

And also, since i live sort of around Houston (kinda), chopped and screwed was pretty big. and i hate that style lol

That's a really good question and truth be told, the last decade has flown by so fast, I can't really remember what was released in that time frame. I know that I've definitely heard ten rap records that I'd rather listen to than any of Kendrick's discography in that time though. I guess that's why I wouldn't put it on a best of decade list cause there are at least ten rap record I'd rather listen to. But that's also because of my taste as well.. there's a lot of shit people absolutely love that just .. amazes me that anyone could like, let alone that many people.. but that's me, and I'm a hater.
I understand where you’re coming from. Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly is one of those rare hip-hop albums that all people, whether they are metal, electronic or country listeners, will enjoy and love.

For me, my favourite 20 hip-hop albums are:

Top 10 in no particular order
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Tyler, The Creator - IGOR
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here....Thank You 4 Your Service
Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2
Kendrick Lamar- Good Kid, m.A.A.d City

11-20 in no particular order
Ab-Soul - Control System
Little Simz - Grey Area
A$AP Rocky- Live.Love.A$AP
Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
Travis Scott - Rodeo
JPEGMAFIA - Veteran
Danny Brown - XXX
Playboi Carti - Die Lit
Noname - Room 25
Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy
Death Grips - The Money Store

Shoot, I left out Run the Jewels. I just found out about them like a month ago, and I really like them too. Ok, sorry. I really didn’t mean to spam this page. I’m just disorganized
Check out Killer Mike's album R.A.P. Music if you liked Run the Jewels. El-P produced it and it kind of started RTJ.

Hot take:

DAMN. > To Pimp a Butterfly

TPAB is good but is highly overrated. I think it gets credit because it sounds like a complete work and when it came out we were mostly getting lots of mixtape-type albums with dope tracks that didn't flow as a complete piece. The problem is, the concept isn't enough to make it a dope album.

Like I said, it's good, but I never return to it. DAMN I still listen to all the time.
Personally I return to DAMN. a lot more than I do TPAB but I will acknowledge that To Pimp a Butterfly is a much more important and impactful album.

I understand where you’re coming from. Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly is one of those rare hip-hop albums that all people, whether they are metal, electronic or country listeners, will enjoy and love.

For me, my favourite 20 hip-hop albums are:

Top 10 in no particular order
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Tyler, The Creator - IGOR
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here....Thank You 4 Your Service
Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2
Kendrick Lamar- Good Kid, m.A.A.d City

11-20 in no particular order
Ab-Soul - Control System
Little Simz - Grey Area
A$AP Rocky- Live.Love.A$AP
Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
Travis Scott - Rodeo
JPEGMAFIA - Veteran
Danny Brown - XXX
Playboi Carti - Die Lit
Noname - Room 25
Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy
Death Grips - The Money Store
Wow, Flower Boy doesn't even rank or are you trying to keep it 1 per artist? This is a really great list. I thought we differed more.

Wow, Flower Boy doesn't even rank or are you trying to keep it 1 per artist? This is a really great list. I thought we differed more.
Flower Boy just missed out. I really do enjoy that album though. Big K.R.I.T.’s ‘4eva N a Day’, Earl Sweatshirt’s ‘Don’t Like Shit, I Don’t Go Outside’, KA’s ‘The Night’s Gambit’ and Killer Mike’s ‘R.A.P. Music’ also just missed out!

Here's an absolutely frozen take: Atrocity Exhibition is one of the finest hip-hop records ever made and future generations will wonder why Danny Brown wasn't bigger than he was.
Man, I like Danny brown a lot on paper but his extreme frequency of lines about blowjobs and sex turn me off. I guess that's a hot take?

I fuck with Atrocity Exhibition, but XXX is way cooler.
I LOOOOOOOOOOVE XXX! That album is cooler, I’ll agree. But for me, it’s musically nowhere near as impressive as Atrocity Exhibition. Full stop! And Danny Brown really puts his emotions to the forefront on Atrocity Exhibition. It’s scary and exhilarating!

@supahypeag - How old are you?

I’ll explain to you bit by bit one day as to why To Pimp A Butterfly is a masterpiece. I’ve done write-ups in the old forum explaining my love for To Pimp A Butterfly but that’s all gone unfortunately. Now, I don’t have the mental energy to deeply explain why To Pimp A Butterfly is my favourite album of the decade.

I respect TPAB but AE just appeals to me so much more from a musical and conceptual standpoint. It's such an intense and unflinching album.
It is an intense album, definitely! But I think To Pimp A Butterfly’s most intense moments - “u” and “blacker the berry” - are more intense and unflinching than the most intense moments on Atrocity Exhibition, which are “ain’t it funny” and “pneumonia”.

@supahypeag - How old are you?

I’ll explain to you bit by bit one day as to why To Pimp A Butterfly is a masterpiece. I’ve done write-ups in the old forum explaining my love for To Pimp A Butterfly but that’s all gone unfortunately. Now, I don’t have the mental energy to deeply explain why To Pimp A Butterfly is my favourite album of the decade.
I’m a white, cis, male, straight, 5’8” tall, single, middle class 40 year old (about to be 41) Democrat in Texas. I think that covers all the bio-stats

Back