Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Cis
What’s “cis”???
apologies if that is an out of date term. My understanding is that it is a shorthand for cisgender: denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender corresponds with their birth sex. If I was wrong and it shouldn’t be shortened or there’s another term used now, sorry.

I’m a white, cis, male, straight, 5’8” tall, single, middle class 40 year old (about to be 41) Democrat in Texas. I think that covers all the bio-stats
Ohhhh I looked it up and get it! Interesting word. So is “cis” another way of saying you are masculine/non-feminine and if you are a woman, it would mean you are feminine and non-masculine?

It is an intense album, definitely! But I think To Pimp A Butterfly’s most intense moments - “u” and “blacker the berry” - are more intense and unflinching than the most intense moments on Atrocity Exhibition, which are “ain’t it funny” and “pneumonia”.
I find it difficult to argue the merits of one of these albums over the other because imo they're both masterpieces. My personal tastes just lean more towards the production and lyricism on Atrocity Exhibition.

Also I won't front, it helps that AE is only 46 or so minutes vs TPAB's nearly 80 minute runtime. It makes it much easier to go back to for repeated listens. I prefer shorter albums and even though TPAB makes the most of it's runtime, it doesn't lend itself to being able to just put it on anytime

Ohhhh I looked it up and get it! Interesting word. So is “cis” another way of saying you are masculine/non-feminine and if you are a woman, it would mean you are feminine and non-masculine?

I don’t think it’s to do with femininity and masculinity. I think it’s more to do with you Physical gender versus what you perceive your gender to be. For some one cis they match. It is entirely possible to be an effeminate cis male.

I don’t think it’s to do with femininity and masculinity. I think it’s more to do with you Physical gender versus what you perceive your gender to be. For some one cis they match. It is entirely possible to be an effeminate cis male.
100% understand the definition of cis now. Thanks Joe! I’ve never seen someone use that word. Never even seen that word before!

So I guess we don’t differ much. I wonder if you’re a bit similar to me personality wise or not? 🙊
Ha, not our online personality at least. I think you get more excited about a broader range of music than I do too. Definitely a good thing.

I'd probably have a milo album on there, Aesop Rock, some others probably. Maybe even the latest Quelle Chris and billy woods, but a little early to tell I guess. I'm terrible at ranking and making lists but I love a lot of the ones you picked and respect others even if they haven't clicked with me.

Last edited:
I’m really immature
It was because you don’t like To Pimp A Butterfly and then you were talking about Cardi B, Bad and Boujee and how your brother showed you Logic. I thought to myself “this guy must be a baby!” 🍼 😜

But then I looked back and read that post about how you stopped listening to hip-hop when 50 Cent was big and that just said it all 😂😚

GKMC track ranking:

Real > Sherane > m.A.A.d City > good kid > The Art of Peer Pressure > Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe > Swimming Pools > Backseat Freestyle > Sing About Me > Compton > Money Trees > Poetic Justice

Sing About Me is pretty good but I never felt like it was better than most of the album.
"Real" as the best track on GKMC is certainly a hot take!

Ha, not our online personality at least. I think you get more excited about a broader range of music than I do too. Definitely a good thing.

I'd probably have a milo album on there, Aesop Rock, some others probably. Maybe even the latest Quelle Chris and billy woods, but a little early to tell I guess. I'm terrible at ranking and making lists but I love a lot of the ones you picked a d respect others even if they haven't clicked with me.
I love Milo and Quelle Chris especially. I prefer them two over Aesop Rock and Billy Woods, as I’m more of a jazzy person.

We are definitely similar music wise! I can feel it!

if Atrocity Exhibition kept the quality from the first half consistently throughout the whole project it'd probably be one of my favorite rap albums of all time. Unfortunately, there are more than a couple songs on the back half of that album that are just simply "ok" to me. Still an incredible album of course, and the highs are extraordinary, but I can't act like I don't find myself checking how much time is left once I reach the last five or so songs (sans When It Rain)

I don't mind sex rap if its creative and "Stank pussy smelling like Cool Ranch Doritos" is certainly creative if nothing else.
I don't know why I mind it sometimes and don't other times. It depends on how it's done but I'm not sure I can explain how. With Danny sometimes it seems like he has to do it for a few bars on every verse, which gets old to me.

I dunno, I like pretty much everything else about his music and have been paying attention since the Hybrid, just never bought an album for whatever reason.

if Atrocity Exhibition kept the quality from the first half consistently throughout the whole project it'd probably be one of my favorite rap albums of all time. Unfortunately, there are more than a couple songs on the back half of that album that are just simply "ok" to me. Still an incredible album of course, and the highs are extraordinary, but I can't act like I don't find myself checking how much time is left once I reach the last five or so songs (sans When It Rain)
You don’t like the song “From The Ground”?? 😱

You don’t like the song “From The Ground”?? 😱
I mean, it's alright? I wouldn't say the album has any BAD songs but a lot of the tracks near the end just aren't nearly up to par compared to the first half. I like all the individual elements of From The Ground fine enough but when they come together I'm not really that wowed. I wouldn't put it up against any of the tracks that came before it on the album.

And while I'm exposing my AE hot takes: Danny had the worst verse on Really Doe. Earl had the best ofc but I don't think that's very controversial :p

Get Hi is the best track on AE smh
mmmmm I love that track so much too! I think @chrb98 doesn’t like how the album cools down the intensity after ‘Dance In The Water’. When It Rain is the only energetic and intense track that’s in the last 5 tracks (and he only loves that track out of the 5 last tracks).

I mean, it's alright? I wouldn't say the album has any BAD songs but a lot of the tracks near the end just aren't nearly up to par compared to the first half. I like all the individual elements of From The Ground fine enough but when they come together I'm not really that wowed. I wouldn't put it up against any of the tracks that came before it on the album.

And while I'm exposing my AE hot takes: Danny had the worst verse on Really Doe. Earl had the best ofc but I don't think that's very controversial :p
Earl Sweatshirt definitely had the best, then Ab-Soul, Kendrick Lamar and Danny Brown last. One of the best posse cuts of the decade. I’m obsessed with Really Doe! ♥️🔥🙏

Back