Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

mmmmm I love that track so much too! I think @chrb98 doesn’t like how the album cools down the intensity after ‘Dance In The Water’. When It Rain is the only energetic and intense track that’s in the last 5 tracks (and he only loves that track out of the 5 last tracks).
Dance In The Water is certainly one of my faves from the last 6 songs - like a coked out Talking Heads rap song, what’s not to love? I’m definitely fine with a bit of a cooldown, it’s just that not a lot of the tracks really grab me. “Tell Me What I Don’t Know” is arguably the least energetic track on the whole album and I love that song - the subtle sense of uneasiness is executed perfectly, and it really reminds me of a spiritual successor to the esoteric post-punk that inspired the album’s themes and approach. I’d love if the cooldown near the end of the album took a similar approach, but it doesn’t hit the mark nearly as well for me. Again, they’re not BAD songs at all, I just feel like they could’ve been so much more.

(Also, *she :p )

Dance In The Water is certainly one of my faves from the last 6 songs - like a coked out Talking Heads rap song, what’s not to love? I’m definitely fine with a bit of a cooldown, it’s just that not a lot of the tracks really grab me. “Tell Me What I Don’t Know” is arguably the least energetic track on the whole album and I love that song - the subtle sense of uneasiness is executed perfectly, and it really reminds me of a spiritual successor to the esoteric post-punk that inspired the album’s themes and approach. I’d love if the cooldown near the end of the album took a similar approach, but it doesn’t hit the mark nearly as well for me. Again, they’re not BAD songs at all, I just feel like they could’ve been so much more.

(Also, *she :p )
OMG, this whole time I thought you were a boy! I had no idea you were a girl 🙈

mmmm I can actually really see where you’re coming from with Atrocity Exhibition. I agree in a sense that the album quality does a drop, but only with the last song for me - Hell For It. That’s the only song I consider ‘just good’.

But mmmmm I really can see musically why you think From The Ground and the following tracks apart from When It Rains are less interesting.

Speaking as a seasoned hip-hop head, I don't get all the love either. It's a pretty good album but if this counts as one of the decade's best? Well, shit.. Hip-hop this decade has been shit.

I don't get the love for Kendrick AT ALL ... I just find him so bland and generic, and it doesn't help that he's also horribly dull in concert too.

I understand where you’re coming from. Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly is one of those rare hip-hop albums that all people, whether they are metal, electronic or country listeners, will enjoy and love.

For me, my favourite 20 hip-hop albums are:

Top 10 in no particular order
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Tyler, The Creator - IGOR
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here....Thank You 4 Your Service
Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2
Kendrick Lamar- Good Kid, m.A.A.d City

11-20 in no particular order
Ab-Soul - Control System
Little Simz - Grey Area
A$AP Rocky- Live.Love.A$AP
Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
Travis Scott - Rodeo
JPEGMAFIA - Veteran
Danny Brown - XXX
Playboi Carti - Die Lit
Noname - Room 25
Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy
Death Grips - The Money Store

Hot Take: XXX is the best album on this list. It’s also one of the Top 10 Hip-Hop albums of this decade.

You’ve got good taste, Nathan. I can dig a favorite album list that finds room for Death Grips, RTJ, Soulo, Carti amongst others. 🍻

Hot Take: XXX is the best album on this list. It’s also one of the Top 10 Hip-Hop albums of this decade.

You’ve got good taste, Nathan. I can dig a favorite album list that finds room for Death Grips, RTJ, Soulo, Carti amongst others. 🍻
I love XXX and can understand why you would rank that album as your favourite on my list. It’s an album that will only get better and better as time goes on! It’s probably like my 12th favourite hip-hop album of the decade! 👌

Thank you! Not going to lie - I’ve got such good music taste! I love my music taste so much, I’m so proud of it! 😊

I understand where you’re coming from. Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly is one of those rare hip-hop albums that all people, whether they are metal, electronic or country listeners, will enjoy and love.

For me, my favourite 20 hip-hop albums are:

Top 10 in no particular order
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Tyler, The Creator - IGOR
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here....Thank You 4 Your Service
Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2
Kendrick Lamar- Good Kid, m.A.A.d City

11-20 in no particular order
Ab-Soul - Control System
Little Simz - Grey Area
A$AP Rocky- Live.Love.A$AP
Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
Travis Scott - Rodeo
JPEGMAFIA - Veteran
Danny Brown - XXX
Playboi Carti - Die Lit
Noname - Room 25
Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy
Death Grips - The Money Store
I stopped reading when I saw Igor at #2. That album is not good, and not even a top 10 hip hop album of this year.

Last edited:
I stopped reading when I saw Igor at #2. That album is not good, and not even a top 10 hip hop album of this year.
That album isn’t #2. It’s just one of my top 10 favourite hip-hop albums this decade. I’d probably place it at #9 or #10.

I love IGOR so much. It’s such a space-like, soulful, psychedelic, youthful, abstract, ear-candy masterpiece. It’s definitely not an album for everyone, but I think it’s a very likeable album!

For me, it’s the best hip-hop album of the year, with Little Simz and Madlib & Freddie Gibbs behind.

That album isn’t #2. It’s just one of my top 10 favourite hip-hop albums this decade. I’d probably place it at #9 or #10.

I love IGOR so much. It’s such a space-like, soulful, psychedelic, youthful, abstract, ear-candy masterpiece. It’s definitely not an album for everyone, but I think it’s a very likeable album!

For me, it’s the best hip-hop album of the year, with Little Simz and Madlib & Freddie Gibbs behind.
Simz and Madgibbs belong on the best hip hop of this year, Igor doesnt imo. I barely even classify it as hip hop

To be fair I havent given it a chance to grow on me, but after a few listens nothing stuck or compelled me to go back.
And that’s OK. I’m happy you are not forcing yourself to like it! I was never really into Run The Jewels 3 when it came out. I just wasn’t feeling the production and energy on that album but everyone seemed to love that album. I just found it a weak follow-up to their classic Run The Jewels 2.

We all have albums we don’t care for that everyone seems to love. Just like how some people on here love hip-hop but don’t enjoy To Pimp A Butterfly etc

To be fair I havent given it a chance to grow on me, but after a few listens nothing stuck or compelled me to go back.
I find Pretty much everything Tyler has ever done utterly Uncompelling both lyrically, flow, and production. I think he’s and interesting person but his art is boring AF.

I fuck with "Jeopardy," "Early," "Love Again," and "Angel Duster," but dont care for the rest of RTJ2. All of RTJ's stuff has a habit of only being occasionally interesting for me. I think the first one holds my attention the most out of all three.
I generally feel the same. I liked the first one but never though too much of it since it was a freebie. I thought it was cool that they blew up so much but there were always a few duds for me that kept me from actually buying an album. I like R.A.P. Music better because Killer Mike is definitely the much better rapper and El-P still shines on production.

Reactions: oak
Lots of 🔥 this morning!!

View attachment 14290
Hey my dude people are throwing out lotsa great suggestions and I want to contribute.

IMO Great Rap Albums of 2019:

Beast Coast - Escape From New York
Maxo Kream - Brandon Banks
Freddie/Madlib - Bandanna

An artist I think you’d enjoy that hasn’t yet been mentioned:

Aesop Rock - “The Impossible Kid” is great and deals with getting older which is pretty relatable. His entire back catalog is great too.

Then a super left field (to the point that it would barely qualify as rap):

Why? “Alopecia” is certainly worthy of your time (though again all of they’re records are pretty fun.

I fuck with "Jeopardy," "Early," "Love Again," and "Angel Duster," but dont care for the rest of RTJ2. All of RTJ's stuff has a habit of only being occasionally interesting for me. I think the first one holds my attention the most out of all three.
I generally feel the same. I liked the first one but never though too much of it since it was a freebie. I thought it was cool that they blew up so much but there were always a few duds for me that kept me from actually buying an album. I like R.A.P. Music better because Killer Mike is definitely the much better rapper and El-P still shines on production.
RTJ2 is dsmn near perfect.
I find Pretty much everything Tyler has ever done utterly Uncompelling both lyrically, flow, and production. I think he’s and interesting person but his art is boring AF.
Hes very hit or miss for me. I like Flower Boy and some of Bastard and Goblin.

Why? “Alopecia” is certainly worthy of your time (though again all of they’re records are pretty fun.
Why? Is fantastic and a severely under rated group

Thank you all for suggestions on recent stuff to check out! It’s nice to know that rap this decade was more than that one dude from Degrassi (although I can’t even lie, I have enjoyed some of his songs). I am definitely gonna check them out!

Back