I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 29: Obsessed
Play a diss record or just a record about another person.

There seems to be more songs than I thought about Courtney Love -

11 diss tracks that are probably about Courtney Love

This is one that I knew was about her -

Here's the video of the clean version "Starsuckers, Inc."-

Nine Inch Nails – The Fragile
Nothing Records – B0025682-01, 1999/2017

Cut by John Golden at Golden Mastering
Pressed at Pallas

4w2kaq2.jpg

GpNJh0I.jpg

Day 24: I Know What You Want
this Busta Rhymes/Flipmode Squad collab marked Mariah's first appearance in the Hot 100 top 10, top 40 and top 80 for the first time in almost two years and her first top 5 pop radio hit since *looks up on wiki...* 1996?! ...anyway, play a record released after a long hiatus

Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love

Released a decade after The Woods.

1000150347.jpg

Day 27: Don’t Forget About Us

Alice In Chains – Jar Of Flies
1000006284.jpg

This was the only Alice in Chains CD I picked up back in the 90s. They were #4 for me out of the "big four" from Seattle. But as the years moved forward this proved to be unforgettable as it has easily become my most played release by any of the Seattle bands, and Alice in Chains dances with Nirvana around the #1 spot.

Day 30: All I Want For Christmas Is You
Play something festive or winter-y

All the snow on Hoth seems "winter-y" to me...

John Williams, National Philharmonic Orchestra, Charles Gerhardt – The Empire Strikes Back (Symphonic Suite From The Original Motion Picture Score)
Varèse Sarabande – VSD00357, 1980/2021

This is a "Symphonic Suite" John Williams wrote based on cues from the movie for live performances, not the exact score for the movie.

Cut by Daniel Krieger at SST
Pressed at MPO

dbnJhI.jpg

bqMwR5.jpg

Day 26: Shake It Off
the Calgon commercial reference is the lyric that stands out the most to me on this song. play a record you heard in a commercial or something that sounds like it could be in a commercial

"Alright" was featured in a few commercials. I could swear they were in some Apple product ad too, but I couldn't find it.

Supergrass - I Should Coco

IMG_7279.jpeg

Day 30: All I Want For Christmas Is You
a recurring holiday favourite (or recurring holiday annoyance, depending on your mood during the holiday season). play something festive or winter-y

Grateful Dead - American Beauty 🇺🇸 🎇 🎆
IMG_5431.jpeg

The prompt was careful not to mention which holiday. So I am gonna choose the next holiday (in the USA) which is The Fourth of July, Independence Day. Grateful Dead are not only in the conversation for the best American Rock Band of all time but American Beauty has become a 4th of July staple in our home. While not necessarily patriotic it is definitely American through and through.

Back