I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 25: We Belong Together
her big comeback hit & the biggest (non-holiday) hit of her career on the Hot 100! play a record considered a comeback or return to form for the artist

Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond
IMG_5396.jpeg

When Lou Barlow quit/was fired from Dinosaur Jr. after Bug, J would go on to release some excellent albums (as would Lou with Sebadoh) no one ever thought these two would get back together and that their reunion would be so damn good!

Day 27: Don’t Forget About Us
the Mariah hit I’d once considered the most forgettable until about a few months ago when it finally clicked for me. play a record you consider ‘unforgettable’ (for better or worse, or both!)

A beautifully ambitious record I come back to over and over and over again...

The Clash - Sandinista!

IMG_5756.jpeg

the Mariah hit I’d once considered the most forgettable until about a few months ago when it finally clicked for me. play a record you consider ‘unforgettable’ (for better or worse, or both!)

Embedded in my DNA. Get well soon Neil & The Horse.

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young ~ Deja Vu

IMG_8171.jpeg

Day 26: Shake It Off
the Calgon commercial reference is the lyric that stands out the most to me on this song. play a record you heard in a commercial or something that sounds like it could be in a commercial

The Outkast "Speakerboxxx / The Love below" (2003 Arista ; 2010 reissue)
Has "Hey Ya!" been in a commercial? Probably.

View attachment 207062
Also, I’ve never felt older than when I saw an Arthritic Cream commercial featuring “The Way You Move”.

Radiohead - OK Computer
IMG_5409.jpeg

I’ve been listening to this album since the day it was released on CD. Seems like an album I’ll never shake.

Seeing as I referenced this album in a previous post, it's clear it's unforgettable for me. Even (or especially?) the cover art.
IMG_8542.JPG

Play a record you consider ‘unforgettable’ (for better or worse, or both!)

While this album isn't "unforgettable" in a classic or really bad sort of way, right now it's unforgettable because I can't stop thinking of a few of the song lyrics in my head since I played it last week....damn earworms.

Protest The Hero – Palimpsest
Sheet Happens Publishing – SHV-029, 2020

2x45RPM
"Black + Red Ghostly" variant

Pressed at Precision/GZ

hXsXsab.jpg

eV91NGB.jpg

Led Zeppelin- Houses of the Holy

Not my favorite Zeppelin record, not even close. I think it’s very uneven and spotty in some places. But it’ll always hold a special place in my heart. I was quiet young when I first heard it, and it opened me up to the entire world of classic rock at large. An era of music that I’m very fond of. Even if I was born decades later.

IMG_6940.jpeg

...and I'm away for two weeks starting tomorrow morning so this is as far as I can go. We'll see if I can catch 2 weeks up from the July challenge when I return. ;P
Same - I won't be back till end of July. Will see y'all in my August thread. Thanks for the excellent month @Wicked Dreamer !

Day 28: Touch My Body
Play a great late-career record.

The released Apple Venus and Wasp Star (Apple Venus Vol. 2) in 1999/2000 and then were done. I much prefer Volume 1 over 2, but don't dislike Volume 2 as much as most people do.

That being said, I think I like the demo albums they released of both volumes better than the finished products.

XTC ‎– Homespun (The Apple Venus Volume One Home Demos)
Cooking Vinyl ‎– COOK 188, 1999

Cut by Miles Showell at Metropolis Mastering
Pressed at EMI Records

FcwRgL.jpg

ppivKy.jpg

Back