I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 17: Forever
this song made #9 on Billboard’s airplay chart, but didn’t chart on the Hot 100 thanks to Billboard’s idiotic rules on radio-only hits then. play a record or artist you first heard through the radio

First time I heard Bob Dylan was on Radio USP and it was "Like a Rolling Stone".

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

IMG_7265.jpeg

Day 22: Thank God I Found You
the original version of this song is unremarkable, but I like how they turn the remix into almost a cover of Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever". play a record that samples/borrows/steals from another piece of work (the more obvious, the better!)

Iron & Wine - Archive Series, Vol. 6

Got this new tour-only covers collection at his show last night. I know there was a covers prompt earlier, but now I'm interpreting covering a song as borrowing!

1000150340.jpg

quickly catching up my own challenge since I was busy the last few days!

Day 26: Shake It Off

Bronski Beat
- “Smalltown Boy

IMG_8705.jpeg

I’ve been hearing “Smalltown Boy” in some commercial recently, I don’t remember what for, which really blows my mind tbh.

Day 27: Don’t Forget About Us

Frankie Goes to Hollywood
- “Relax

IMG_8707.jpeg

Day 28: Touch My Body

George Michael
- “White Light

IMG_8708.jpeg

A one-off single released in 2012 & his last original new song released before his passing.

Day 20: I Still Believe
from her first… “greatest hits” album, this song was originally a top 20 hit in 1988 for Brenda K. Starr who Mariah sang backing vocals for around that time and was added onto that comp as a homage. play a greatest hits record (or some great hits if you’re anti-greatest hits)

The Psychedelic Furs - Greatest Hits

IMG_7270.jpeg

Day 21: Heartbreaker
the most expensive music video Mariah's ever made (and imagine how much more expensive it would've been had Jay-Z been allowed to appear). play a record that either broke the bank for you or could break someone else's bank if you decided to sell it (something expensive, basically)

At least for now, I think there was RSD version of it that might bring prices down.

IMG_7271.jpeg

Young Thug - Jeffery

IMG_7272.jpeg

Day 22: Thank God I Found You
the original version of this song is unremarkable, but I like how they turn the remix into almost a cover of Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever". play a record that samples/borrows/steals from another piece of work (the more obvious, the better!)

Change of scenery. Prepping lunch

Massive Attack Vs. Mad Professor - Part II (Mezzanine Remix Tapes '98)

IMG_7274.jpeg

Day 24: I Know What You Want
this Busta Rhymes/Flipmode Squad collab marked Mariah's first appearance in the Hot 100 top 10, top 40 and top 80 for the first time in almost two years and her first top 5 pop radio hit since *looks up on wiki...* 1996?! ...anyway, play a record released after a long hiatus

Faith No More - Sol Invictus

IMG_7277.jpeg

Day 25: We Belong Together
her big comeback hit & the biggest (non-holiday) hit of her career on the Hot 100! play a record considered a comeback or return to form for the artist

Kinda cheating, but hey I'm still quite behind.
This one needs a nice 2 LP reissue, over an hour of music on a single disc is not good.

Prefab Sprout - Jordan: The Comeback

IMG_7278.jpeg

Edit: I see there's a 2 LP reissue from 2019, added to my discogs wishlist

Last edited:
Day 29: Obsessed
a diss track against Eminem who repeatedly claimed that he & Mariah had a brief relationship sometime in the early 00s. play a diss record or just a record about another person.

Blondie - Parallel Lines

The song “One Way or Another” was about a real life stalker that Debbie had.

IMG_6949.jpeg

Back