I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 4: I Don’t Wanna Cry
another #1 from that first album Mariah isn't too fond of, this time because of conflicts with the song's producer Narada Michael Walden during recording. play a record beset by production troubles.

From Wikipedia:
"Production on the album was troubled, with initial recording sessions considered unsatisfying and raising tensions between the band members. They eventually decided to redo the album from scratch during a two-week period at frontman Dave Grohl's home studio in Alexandria, Virginia."

Foo Fighters - One By One

IMG_7149.jpeg

Day 5: Emotions
the titular first single from Mariah’s 2nd album and her 5th #1 hit in a row, making her the only artist to chart her first 5 hits at #1! play a record that avoided the “sophomore slump”

Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain

IMG_7150.jpeg

Saw them in Buenos Aires a few weeks ago.
It was great!

IMG_7039.jpeg

another #1 from that first album Mariah isn't too fond of, this time because of conflicts with the song's producer Narada Michael Walden during recording. play a record beset by production troubles.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

A production so long, expensive, and beset by perfectionism and technical issues that the legend arose that it bankrupted the label. (The truth seems to be that it only helped a bit to bankrupt the label!)

1000149889.jpg

Day 5: Emotions
the titular first single from Mariah’s 2nd album and her 5th #1 hit in a row, making her the only artist to chart her first 5 hits at #1! play a record that avoided the “sophomore slump”

Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump

Thought of this title right away...

20230928_181439-jpg.183408

Day 6: Can’t Let Go
the 2nd single from her 2nd album & her first to not reach #1, peaking at #2. now play an actual “sophomore slump”

Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstasy
IMG_5039.jpeg
Countdown to Ecstasy was seen as a “sophomore slump”. Their debut had major hits like "Reelin' in the Years”, but the follow up was a bit more complex, and jazz-infused resulting in the album being a bit of a commercial disappointment despite its critical acclaim.

Day 6: Can’t Let Go
the 2nd single from her 2nd album & her first to not reach #1, peaking at #2. now play an actual “sophomore slump”

Justice - Audio, Video, Disco

Never reaches the highs, or impact, of their debut. Still got some fun tracks, though...

1000149891.jpg

Last edited:
I had it queued up but for some reason I felt compelled to check beforehand. I don’t think I’ve ever listened to their actual debut.

I'm not sure many people have, even music reviews from 20ish years ago refer to their first two albums on a label as their debut and sophomore album, which I think is pretty normal for back then. Those self-released albums that are all over Bandcamp and such now were more like "demos for my fans and to maybe get a record deal."

Last edited:
I had it queued up but for some reason I felt compelled to check beforehand. I don’t think I’ve ever listened to their actual debut.
I think this is something that happens in the modern era, two of my favorite bands - Lake Street Dive & Nickel Creek - both have two albums that came out before what most people think is their first album and with both, neither album is streaming or available anywhere. Actually, I’ve never checked YouTube to see if someone put them up there. Regardless, I’ve never heard some music by groups that I would love to have complete discographies of.

Play a record beset by production troubles

While it was a very successful album, it was a grueling production with the band not really working with Bob Rock too well, band members getting divorced, it took 9 months in the studio to make the album...which is pretty crazy. It's not as famously troubled as the St. Anger production, but I think the issues they had there began with the recording of this album....lead through Load and Re-Load and blew up during the St. Anger sessions.

Metallica – Metallica
Elektra – 61113-1, 1991

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at Specialty

HWv143.jpg

BGT4BA.jpg

Back