I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 5: Emotions

Play a record that avoided the “sophomore slump”

While I really like their debut album, most people don't know it too well, but this was a much more successful album.

Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
RCA Victor – AFL1-4681, 1983

Pressed at RCA, Indianapolis

tKh9dY.jpg

VHM7G3.jpg

Day 2: Love Takes Time
A last-minute addition to the album. So last minute that it wasn’t listed on some early pressings. play an album with a hidden or bonus track

The Who - The Who Sell Out

A lot of versions of this album come with a plethora of bonus tracks. A lot of them feel just as essential to me as the actual album tracks.

IMG_6766.jpeg

Day 3: Someday
a song Mariah has since somewhat disavowed because she feels it was overproduced. play a record you feel is overproduced

Reba McEntire - For My Broken Heart

There’s some genuinely great songs on here and Reba is a talented artist. But man… everything is slathered in that shiny and overly clean production that was so common in mainstream country music from this era (1991). I’m just not a fan of how it sounds but I do like the songs.

IMG_6767.jpeg

Day 4: I Don’t Wanna Cry
another #1 from that first album Mariah isn't too fond of, this time because of conflicts with the song's producer Narada Michael Walden during recording. play a record beset by production troubles.

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

The band had writers block when they set out to make their fifth album. Exhausted and strung out on drugs, they rented an allegedly haunted castle to record in. Tony Iommi finally came up with the riff off of the title track and they went on to record what would be one of their best albums.

IMG_6774.jpeg

Day 7: Make It Happen

IMG_8618.jpeg

Some of my favourite Mariah songs from early in her career were her gospel-inspired songs (Make It Happen, If It’s Over, Anytime You Need a Friend).

Here’s an R&R ad from Valentine’s Day 1992, promoting the release of the single:

Image 2024-06-06 at 1.19 AM.jpeg

Anyway, here’s my pick for today…

The Harlem Gospel Travelers - Look Up!

IMG_8624.jpeg

Simultaneously holy & uplifting, even in its darker moments.

Day 8: I’ll Be There
a cover of the Jackson 5 hit, performed on her MTV Unplugged special. play a live record.

I'll stick with a Jackson.

One of the greatest live records ever that no one ever mentions.

David Lindley was one of a kind.

Peaked at #3 on the US charts...

Jackson Browne - Running On Empty

IMG_5567.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 8: I’ll Be There
a cover of the Jackson 5 hit, performed on her MTV Unplugged special. play a live record.

Fleet Foxes - Live At Boston Harbor
View attachment 205322

Finally cracking this one open and whoah, this sounds incredible.

So bummed I missed out on this one on RSD. I saw them on that tour and they put on an incredible show.

Day 6: Can’t Let Go
the 2nd single from her 2nd album & her first to not reach #1, peaking at #2. now play an actual “sophomore slump”

John Prine - Diamonds in the Rough

I’m using “sophomore slump” VERY loosely here. This is a great record, with great songwriting. It’s only a “slump” in the sense that I think his debut and third album are even better.

IMG_6778.jpeg

Back