I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 8: I'll Be There

Image.jpeg

Tom Breihan mentioned this before in his Number Ones column on Stereogum (which I highly recommend if you haven't read it before) but I don't think it's a coincidence that Mariah chose to cover the biggest hit from a group whose Billboard record she'd just beaten. It's a great cover tho & Trey Lorenz (the Jermaine in this performance) nailed it too.

Here's an R&R ad from May 15th 1992 celebrating the release of the single & Unplugged performance:

Image 2024-06-08 at 3.50 PM.jpeg

...and an ad from the bottom of the front page of Billboard, June 6th 1992:

Image 2024-06-08 at 3.32 PM (1).jpeg

Anyway, here's my pick for today...

Billie Eilish - Live at Third Man Records

IMG_8629.jpeg

Day 8: I’ll Be There
a cover of the Jackson 5 hit, performed on her MTV Unplugged special. play a live record.

"I noticed we got a abundance of snot-nosed preppie hairballs in here tonight in serious need of firm-handed musical spanking"

Country Dick Montana was one of the best frontmen I've ever seen. Won't see his like again.

Beat Farmers ~ Loud and Plowed and... Live!!!

IMG_7805.jpeg

Day 9: Dreamlover
the first single where Mariah had creative control over remixing her songs. Play a remixed record (or a remix album)

According to the price tag, I found this 12" of remixes 30 years ago.

A couple samples. I just adore that first one...

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Far Gone And Out Official Bootleg Mixes

The LP version of the single peaked at #3 on the US alternative chart.

IMG_5575.jpegIMG_5576.jpegIMG_5577.jpegIMG_5578.jpeg

Image 1.jpeg

Mariah collaborated with DJ David Morales to create the 10-minute Def Club Mix of Dreamlover, a complete rework of the song from a pop/R&B bop to a house music banger which included Mariah completely re-recording her vocals, which she would continue to do on most of her remixes throughout the rest of the 90s.

Here's an ad from the August 21st, 1993 edition of Billboard promoting the upcoming release of Music Box:

Untitled design-2.jpeg

Anyway, here's my pick for today...

Perfume Genius - IMMEDIATELY Remixes

IMG_8630.jpeg

the first single where Mariah had creative control over remixing her songs. Play a remixed record (or a remix album)

This is the sole album in my collection with "Remix" directly in the title. And the only Culture Club album I own. This is, I believe, the first time I'm listening to this. Maybe the second since I did have a collection playthrough finish up a bit ago.

The Discogs entry has one review for this. I'll leave it here:

"A rather anemic mastering effort. Mix is poorly produced, given how well-produced the album version is. Quiet pressing and solid artwork are the only highlights of this release"

Culture Club ~ I'll Tumble 4 Ya "Special Extended Version Remix"

IMG_7811.jpeg

I have yet to listen to the re-mix, how is it?
I enjoy it. It’s a bit more modern sounding. It’s really a taste thing. It isn’t dramatically different, I don’t think a casual listener/non-audiophile would necessarily be like “hey this is different.” I feel like it’s a great way to rediscover the album and to notice different things in the music as different things are accentuated, if that makes sense. I have the Dark Side 50 and Momentary Lapse remixes on CD as well. Neither of them is as different from the original versions as this one is.

I also wish (and also don’t) that I had an atmos set up because I bet that is fun.

I enjoy it. It’s a bit more modern sounding. It’s really a taste thing. It isn’t dramatically different, I don’t think a casual listener/non-audiophile would necessarily be like “hey this is different.” I feel like it’s a great way to rediscover the album and to notice different things in the music as different things are accentuated, if that makes sense. I have the Dark Side 50 and Momentary Lapse remixes on CD as well. Neither of them is as different from the original versions as this one is.

I also wish (and also don’t) that I had an atmos set up because I bet that is fun.
I'll probably just stream it sometime, I love the album but am also a bit burned out on it over the years. Not sure how much I'd spin it.

Day 10: Hero
one of Mariah's most performed songs live, due to the personal connection many of her fans have to the lyrics. play a record of great sentimental value to you

I've told this a few times, but I'll tell it again. My dad loved trains. This Willie Nelson album and Stardust were in constant rotation in his car. When he passed away I used his car quite a bit in getting things settled and this cassette was still in the radio. I never took it out, and would play it constantly helping me deal with his loss which also let me still have a connection with him while I was driving around. When my mom invariably sold the car, I made sure to get the tape out before she sold it, so now it has a prominent place in my collection.

Willie Nelson ~ City of New Orleans

IMG_7846.jpeg

Back