MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

is there a difference between the super heavy weight and super heavy weight champion except the weight?
In eneral is there a difference between 30€ nice metal weight and the ones from mofi? Is there some special sauce material or black magic going on with their stuff?
I just use the nice metal weight and not the black magic version so I cannot compare . The one I have does its job .

is there a difference between the super heavy weight and super heavy weight champion except the weight?
In eneral is there a difference between 30€ nice metal weight and the ones from mofi? Is there some special sauce material or black magic going on with their stuff?
I have the sam question. I've been very tempted to splurge for the "black magic" myself (knowing I would probably be disappointed).
Does anyone here use one the Mofi weights?

I sent an email to Mofi about 10 days ago to address some minor issues. After the automated reply saying they opened a ticket, nobody has bothered to answer, so I'm not in a hurry to give them any money right now.:p

I have the sam question. I've been very tempted to splurge for the "black magic" myself (knowing I would probably be disappointed).

I sent an email to Mofi about 10 days ago to address some minor issues. After the automated reply saying they opened a ticket, nobody has bothered to answer, so I'm not in a hurry to give them any money right now.:p
I think @HiFi Guy had an Ultra Heavyweight, and he said it was the only record weight he’d used that felt like it had an impact on the sound.

I have the fancier one from MoFi but only because someone here mentioned they ordered the cheaper one and Music Direct sent the more expensive one. I tried my luck and got the more expensive one at the cheaper MoFi weight price. A buddy has since tried it and didn’t get the free upgrade.

I like it on the UD. Helps with any mild dish warps. The bass felt tighter too when using it but that could be my ears playing tricks on me. I wouldn’t say it’s night and day between not using it but I always use it now. Have no comparison between the two models though. My other table has a suspended platter so can’t use it on that

Yeah I feel the same way. I got un unbranded one, but same is available from oehlbach a popular low end mass market brand in Germany:

I got it used for 15€….

But now thinking is the mofi weight just a scam or is there some special sauce in it :)

At 415 grams is between the champ and the heavy weight.

If the mofi thing was 100€, I‘ll get it, but at 500€, I need some evidence that it actually does something.

Maybe they are meant as gift for the dealers to give to customers when they buy more expensive turntables and not really to be bought separately … no idea. But maybe there is really some black magic going on...

Last edited:
Yeah I feel the same way. I got un unbranded one, but same is available from oehlbach a popular low end mass market brand in Germany:

I got it used for 15€….

But now thinking is the mofi weight just a scam or is there some special sauce in it :)

At 415 grams is between the champ and the heavy weight.

If the mofi thing was 100€, I‘ll get it, but at 500€, I need some evidence that it actually does something.
It’s not the weight that’s important, it’s the material that is used. The weight couples the record to the platter. All weights do that. But the MoFi weight material dissipates resonance from the motor, bearing and other noise and prevents it from traveling to your stylus. I doubt there is a huge difference in sound effect between the two MoFi weights.

I wouldn’t buy it for 500€ though.

It’s not the weight that’s important, it’s the material that is used. The weight couples the record to the platter. All weights do that. But the MoFi weight material dissipates resonance from the motor, bearing and other noise and prevents it from traveling to your stylus. I doubt there is a huge difference in sound effect between the two MoFi weights.

I wouldn’t buy it for 500€ though.
what would your cut off be? My is 100€.

If someone has a used one to sell and is Europe, feel free to msg.
Check whatever used sites you have over there for audio gear too. I’ve seen quite a lot for sale in the US so maybe there are some in Europe. The downside is they are quite heavy so shipping may be pricey too

I read a review of the Ultradeck (or maybe it was the Studiodeck?) a while back, where they said the Heavyweight was such an improvement it should be included with the turntable by default.
I tried to find a used one here in the US, so far I haven't.

Last edited:
I read a review of the Ultradeck (or maybe it was the Studiodeck?) a while back, where they said the Heavyweight was such an improvement it should be included with the turntable by default.
I tried to find a used one here in the US, so far I haven't.
The question is, is it specifically the heavy weight or just any weight. And aslo like measurable facts, not subjective easily influenceable opinion.

The question is, is it specifically the heavy weight or just any weight. And aslo like measurable facts, not subjective easily influenceable opinion.
As I said, any weight will couple the record to the platter but the material will have an effect on resonance. How big an effect is likely to be subjective to your ears and setup. If it’s 500€ for you, I imagine you could do much better upgrades to your setup with that money that will have more effect on sound.

As I said, any weight will couple the record to the platter but the material will have an effect on resonance. How big an effect is likely to be subjective to your ears and setup. If it’s 500€ for you, I imagine you could do much better upgrades to your setup with that money that will have more effect on sound.
Wait what? The Mofi superweight is 500 goddamn euros? That's insane.

I own the Super Heavyweight, and it is good looking I must say. It isn't just a block of aluminium, it does have a Polymer/rubber on the inside which is supposed to improve the sound. As mentioned, dissipate noise from the record. I think that can make sense since it is sitting over the bearing and may very well dampen some noise.

For those in Europe who are looking for one, I got mine at PhonoPhono. It was expensive but I like it. A nice accessoire.

I had the super heavy weight. Sold it for the Star Sound Technologies (now Live Vibe Audio) platter ground. https://livevibeaudio.com/turntable-platter-ground/

In A/B testing, the Platter ground had a more open sound. A little bit of splitting hairs, but the difference was there and I didn’t pay much for the platter ground.
Both weights fall into the category of nice to have vs must have in my mind.

For the record, we also tried the audio points under multiple pieces of gear. I didn’t feel that made an improvement over the UD feet. However I was legitimately surprised at the difference they made under the amp. I didn’t buy them for the amp, but I still kind of wish I had.

Back