Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 13 - July 2020 /// Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi – The Four Seasons

After heavy consideration, my official guess is: Reworks by Walt Wagner.

Solo piano arrangements of artists as diverse as My Bloody Valentine, Fleet Foxes, Prince, and Buzzcocks.

It's left-field, but we haven't had a classical pick yet.
Also, nobody ever said that the songs by the original artists were part of the album of the month in question.

uploads_1505943592618-WaltWagner_Reworks_600x600_300.jpg

It's the Shrek 2 soundtrack.

Edit: the biggest challenge to this is that Shrek 2 doesn't appear to be on vinyl.
Okay look, I know it seems ridiculous on its face, but I can make a lot of this work. Here it goes: 14 clues, 14 tracks.

1."Accidentally in Love"Counting Crows3:08
2."Holding Out for a Hero"Frou Frou3:21
3."Changes"David Bowie & Butterfly Boucher3:22
4."As Lovers Go"Dashboard Confessional3:29
5."Funkytown"Lipps Inc.3:59
6."I'm on My Way"Rich Price3:21
7."I Need Some Sleep"Eels2:28
8."Ever Fallen in Love"Pete Yorn2:32
9."Little Drop of Poison"Tom Waits3:11
10."You're So True"Joseph Arthur3:53
11."People Ain't No Good"Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds5:39
12."Fairy Godmother Song"Jennifer Saunders1:52
13."Livin' la Vida Loca"Antonio Banderas & Eddie Murphy3:24
14."Holding Out for a Hero"Jennifer Saunders3:56

1. Robin Williams introduced the best animated feature award at the 2005 Oscars, for which Shrek 2 was nominated and at which the Counting Crows performed as best song nominees.

2. Miles Teller starred in the 2011 Footloose reboot which featured a cover of Holding Out for a Hero.

4. Margot Robbie is known for playing Harley Quinn, a character who could be described by the lyric " For so long I thought I was asylum bound" from "As Lovers Go."

5. Anthony Bourdain told The Splendid Table in an interview that had he not become a chef he would have been the bass player in a funk band. But he only talked about it, talked about it, talked about it, talked about it...

7. Julia Roberts starred in Mary Reilly, which contains a scene in which Dr. Jekyll teaches her how to prepare...Eels.

Okay it's been a busy day and I'm losing steam and creativity, but I bet if I wracked my brain hard enough I could make more of these work.

After heavy consideration, my official guess is: Reworks by Walt Wagner.

Solo piano arrangements of artists as diverse as My Bloody Valentine, Fleet Foxes, Prince, and Buzzcocks.

It's left-field, but we haven't had a classical pick yet.
Also, nobody ever said that the songs by the original artists were part of the album of the month in question.

View attachment 52418

I feel like this is the best lead we've got so far. This seems like something @Alexander would feasibly pick.

Also there are a surprising number of connections to Batman in this list. Of the actors listed, several appeared in a live action Batman film: Margot Robbie, Uma Thurman, Christopher Walken, and Danny Devito.

Robin Williams famous lobbied to be cast as a Batman villain multiple times. Neil Patrick Harris has been a fan favorite to get cast as the Riddler for some time. Julia Roberts was for some time attached to star in an adaptation of the Batkid story, and her brother was in The Dark Knight.

And if you think that *I'm* being too tinfoil-hatty about this...
This site has something to say about Batman and how "our news is being scripted out based on episodes from Batman from the 1960’s" using numerology to...predict Anthony Bourdain's death? I think?

I’m hoping it’s Richter’s Four Seasons. I’ve wanted it for a while and this would be a great reason to get it. But I think it’s still on Alexander’s Discogs and I think he scrubbed his collection of the record. So probably not.

I’m hoping it’s Richter’s Four Seasons. I’ve wanted it for a while and this would be a great reason to get it. But I think it’s still on Alexander’s Discogs and I think he scrubbed his collection of the record. So probably not.

I actually came across a few Max Richter references of the clues, but couldn't make it work. Sounds like something that could be possible though.

I'm really excited what it will be. 😛

Okay look, I know it seems ridiculous on its face, but I can make a lot of this work. Here it goes: 14 clues, 14 tracks.

1. Robin Williams introduced the best animated feature award at the 2005 Oscars, for which Shrek 2 was nominated and at which the Counting Crows performed as best song nominees.

2. Miles Teller starred in the 2011 Footloose reboot which featured a cover of Holding Out for a Hero.

4. Margot Robbie is known for playing Harley Quinn, a character who could be described by the lyric " For so long I thought I was asylum bound" from "As Lovers Go."

5. Anthony Bourdain told The Splendid Table in an interview that had he not become a chef he would have been the bass player in a funk band. But he only talked about it, talked about it, talked about it, talked about it...

7. Julia Roberts starred in Mary Reilly, which contains a scene in which Dr. Jekyll teaches her how to prepare...Eels.

Okay it's been a busy day and I'm losing steam and creativity, but I bet if I wracked my brain hard enough I could make more of these work.
3. As punishment for drug abuse, Craig Charles was suspended from his role on Coronation Street, which David Bowie watched religiously to distract himself from his drug addiction.

3. As punishment for drug abuse, Craig Charles was suspended from his role on Coronation Street, which David Bowie watched religiously to distract himself from his drug addiction.
11. Christopher Walken starred in a series of ads that prominently used Nick Cave's "We So Cool."

Guys, that's 7/14 DIRECT connections to Shrek 2. I'm halfway there.

Back