Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 62 - August 2024 /// Butcher Brown - Solar Music

note: I haven't a clue what I am talking about

Clue 2 - a crate of record
--> reference to the crate digging label
--> my guess Now again

Clue 1 - Weather report
--> reference to seasons
---> my guess

1720102570377.png
out on Now again label
(I have no idea who Eamon is, but I am playing this album as you read this and it's really cool soul music)

note: I haven't a clue what I am talking about

Clue 2 - a crate of record
--> reference to the crate digging label
--> my guess Now again

Clue 1 - Weather report
--> reference to seasons
---> my guess

View attachment 207681
out on Now again label
(I have no idea who Eamon is, but I am playing this album as you read this and it's really cool soul music)
i think we know 2 different eamons

Why not? It just got a repress a few months ago.

Or did you mess up and mean to quote Lee Trainfan? In which case, yeah, it ain't a 5-CD box set.

Oh I definitely looked at that before pitching it as a guess, but my takeaway from the Fire versus Like responses leaves me feeling like this is less likely than Peanut Butter Wolf -- which is how I felt with my initial guessing, but I figured I'd throw this one in the mix anyway. It's also a great album, but PBW just gave me stronger gut tingles is all.

So going back to the first time I had an AOTM guess thread, I strongly thought about doing a gimmick the entire month by taking random clues from previous AOTM threads and repurposing them for my own thread. The clues wouldn't necessarily have the same meaning as they originally did, but they could still apply to my album of choice.

I had about a half-dozen random clues from previous threads before I got bored of doing it and abandoned the idea.

Anyways, remember this?

Vinyl collecting isn't my only hobby. I grew up playing video games and while I still play modern consoles, I continue to have a nostalgic fondness for the 16-bit era of gaming, the Super NES in particular.

I've also been part of the emulation/rom hacking scene for over 20 years. I won't go into THAT MUCH detail about what that is, but basically there's been a long-standing group of folks who make fan-made changes to existing video games. It can be something as simple as replacing Mario in Super Mario Bros. with a poorly pixilated Trent Reznor and calling it Super NIN Bros. Or it can be translating an entire game into a different language, like translating the Japanese-only Mother 3 role playing game into English.

Speaking of Mother 3, let's talk about its Super NES prequel Mother 2, which you may know by its English name: EarthBound. It was a truly unique Japanese RPG when it was released in the mid-1990s. Instead of being set in a fantasy land where you fight dragons and save the world from supernatural forces of evil, EarthBound takes place in contemporary America where you fight skateboarding punks and hippies, and... ok you still end up saving the world from a supernatural force of evil.

The EarthBound/Mother series has a loving fanbase, which I count myself among. One thing I adored was its score, composed by Keiichi Suzuki, Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka, and Hiroshi Kanazu, who gave the game an eclectic soundtrack that borrowed (and sampled!) many different genres. It's great and it has indeed been issued on vinyl thanks to Ship to Shore Phono Co!

The EarthBound soundtrack is not my Album of the Month, but I certainly recommend it if you find a copy at a decent price! No, let's go back to my rom hacking resume. While I love the original music, I always wondered how the game would be if it had an instrumental hip hop soundtrack.

So exactly two years ago this month I released a rom hack of EarthBound that replaces its soundtrack with (mostly) hip hop beats. These are real songs by real artists; I see it almost like a mixtape of sorts. Some of the music is classic, well-known stuff. Other songs are super random and obscure. Here's a video showing the first 20 minutes or so of the game to give you the gist of it:

Is this month's artist featured within this rom hack?????? Am I shilling my own vanity project????? Hell yeah I am.

Download the patch and music files here You're on your own finding the original EarthBound rom, though (hint: look for "no-intro" on Archive.org). This also only works on modern emulators like bsnes or recent versions of Snes9x so don't bother with Zsnes (which you really should have gotten rid of about 10-15 years ago anyways). It also plays great on a real SNES if you have the sd2snes/FX Pak flash cart. Feel free to ask questions here if you need help setting it all up.

The weekend is about to begin, so let's play some video games!

Ok that hint sucked, so how about this: ask me questions about the AOTM! I make no guarantee I'll answer, but maybe I will and that could provide you some much better hints than anything I could come up with. I'll have better clues of my own starting on Monday, I promise.

Back