Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 62 - August 2024 /// Butcher Brown - Solar Music

I was camping on a smaller island with spotty reception. I'm nearly home now, but sick as fuck. Hoping I can dedicate some brain tomorrow...
Focus on getting better! I kid around but genuinely enjoy watching how every month you piece the clues together and even when you seem stumped, your guesses (at least in my threads) have always felt they were in the ballpark of what I'm going for.

Solar Music by Butcher Brown

01. Summertime is the season of sun, this album features many references to sun.
02. Weather Report happen to be one of the bands major influences.
03. The crate full of records represents the multiplicity, depth and variety of the band's influences, and how much they dig into the cores of the genres they bend and play with.
04. Cam'ron has performed with Benny the Butcher, who shares part of a name with Butcher Brown
05. I didn't go back and visit your ROM, but I'm guessing you used some Butcher Brown on it.
WEEKEND. The album was released post-2008 (2023, to be exact) and sounds great on wax because you forgot it was 2x45RPM
06. There are guest rappers on the album presenting the hip hop n' rhymin' awesomeness
07. BROWN is half of the band name
08. BUTCHER pete did the soundtrack and BUTCHER is the other half of the band name
09. Cozumel is the name of the first song on the album
10. The US flag is the relevant sticker, because the band is American (from Richmond, Virginia)
11. Again the sun is present in the album title, a song title and the fact that the band plays "everything under the sun."
[edit to add: also, their music is very danceable]

I'd love to see how my clues led you to this enigmatic album art. :D

I knew Cozumel was somehow gonna be my key to unlocking this and after searching it with a bunch of different qualifiers in Google I finally went to Discogs and just searched Cozumel, and found this in the results. It immediately felt like it clicked with your most recent post and a few other things. So I posted it right away and, as you can see above, I definitely tied some of the clues to it, but also completely pulled a few things right out of my ass to tie them to other ones! ;)

Solar Music by Butcher Brown

01. Summertime is the season of sun, this album features many references to sun.
03. The crate full of records represents the multiplicity, depth and variety of the band's influences, and how much they dig into the cores of the genres they bend and play with.
04. Cam'ron has performed with Benny the Butcher, who shares part of a name with Butcher Brown
05. I didn't go back and visit your ROM, but I'm guessing you used some Butcher Brown on it.
WEEKEND. The album was released post-2008 (2023, to be exact) and sounds great on wax because you forgot it was 2x45RPM
06. There are guest rappers on the album presenting the hip hop n' rhymin' awesomeness
08. BUTCHER pete did the soundtrack and BUTCHER is the other half of the band name
10. The US flag is the relevant sticker, because the band is American (from Richmond, Virginia)
11. Again the sun is present in the album title, a song title and the fact that the band plays "everything under the sun."
[edit to add: also, their music is very danceable]

lmao almost all of this is wrong but you still got it

Ok not almost but this is definitely a case where if you hadn't been on vacation you would've nailed it like a week ago.

William Allen plays bass on this song, and he wrote "This Side of Sunshine," which Butcher Brown covers on this album. I did specifically choose this video because of the summer/sun connotations, so partial credit.

I'm sure they are, Butcher Brown has a soft spot for 1970s jazz fusion. But in this case, the iconic album artwork for Heavy Weather is by Lou Beach, who also did the cover artwork for this album.

Uhhh... sure. But they also recorded part of the album at Milk Crate Studios :P

Cam'ron is wearing his trademark pink fur at the start of the video. Pink Fur is the name of a song on the album.

Keyboardist DJ Harrison, specifically, who as an aside has a pretty successful side gig as a beat maker and is signed with Stones Throw.

(y)

Nope but I see you later figured it out: Concord Jazz

Two half clues back-to-back to form a whole clue. :)

(y)

Well, I did say "at least one" sticker was applicable, but the one I was looking at was "RVA" which is Richmond's abbreviation. Those stickers are everywhere down here (also I pulled that pic from a Richmond reddit post so it's possible reverse image searching would've revealed it)

Solar Music is everything under the sun. We get asked so often what type of genre we fall into, and at the end of the day, we play all of our influences. Its not genre specific… Its all types, & this album is a true representation of that. Solar Music is for everybody.

Great job. I'll do the drawing tomorrow and try to have a full write-up soon-ish. In the meantime if anyone else wants to make a wrong guess to enter the drawing, go right ahead, I won't judge. :)

Well, I did say "at least one" sticker was applicable, but the one I was looking at was "RVA" which is Richmond's abbreviation. Those stickers are everywhere down here (also I pulled that pic from a Richmond reddit post so it's possible reverse image searching would've revealed it)

I was looking back at this and figured there was something more direct. I'll blame geographical ignorance for that one. It's one of a dozen or so states I wouldn't likely be able to pick out by just it's borders alone.

I was looking back at this and figured there was something more direct. I'll blame geographical ignorance for that one. It's one of a dozen or so states I wouldn't likely be able to pick out by just it's borders alone.
No worries Canada is made up of like three provinces and I couldn't tell you a single one if you put a gun to my head.

Edit: Part of me wishes you waited another day or so to figure it out. I was about to start posting pictures of Confederate monuments getting defaced and torn down in Richmond, which would've been pretty badass.

Time to spin da wheel!!!!

wheel.PNG

Congrats @Hemotep you're getting a copy of Butcher Brown's Solar Music, whether you want it or not! DM me to iron out the deets, I figure I can just order online and have it shipped to the address of your choice but if you want to pick it up at your local or something, you can show me the receipt and I'll Paypal/Venmo ya back.

OP is updated with a hastily-written love letter to this band from me, as well as links to stream/buy it and a bonus Youtube video of their recent Tiny Desk appearance. I'll probably post a few more videos of other songs of theirs I really like, but I gotta go grab me some dinner right now.

Oh and btw @Skalap Butcher Brown is playing a few shows in France this week and next! If you ended up liking this album and have a chance, you should really go check them out. :) You know, I'm gonna tag my Wax Buyers Club BFF @Edd too in case he still lurks here lol

Back