New Music Friday!

I know nothing about Amen dunes except my weird memory remembers that he did a video for VMP called Hi Fives - which @debianlinux won some contest or some other where he won all the records that Amen Dunes chose and he PIF'd that Roxy Music album that I claimed and still have. I have the worst memory ever, i don't know why i remember this.

I think i meant to check out his music but I actually never got around to it. This new album might be a bad place to start lol

Radar List, 17th May 2024
  • Alan BraufmanInfinite Love Infinite Tears (Funk / Jazz / Blues / Soul / Gospel)
  • Andrew HargreavesDrones In The Air (Drone / Kosmische / Minimal)
  • Beth GibbonsLives Outgrown (Pop / Indie Pop / Experimental Pop / Electro-Pop)
  • Church Andrews & Matt DaviesYucca (Electronic / Electro / IDM / EBM)
  • KollapseAR (Metal / Noise / Industrial / Extreme)
  • ShellacTo All Trains (Shoegaze / Post-Rock / Math / Experimental Indie)

I know nothing about Amen dunes except my weird memory remembers that he did a video for VMP called Hi Fives - which @debianlinux won some contest or some other where he won all the records that Amen Dunes chose and he PIF'd that Roxy Music album that I claimed and still have. I have the worst memory ever, i don't know why i remember this.

I think i meant to check out his music but I actually never got around to it. This new album might be a bad place to start lol

Start with "Freedom" his best album which was released 6 years ago! That said, the 🆕 album "Death Jokes" is not as bad as everyone is saying, I actually think it's pretty good 👍 but keep in mind it's a grower...

Amen Dunes new album is nauseating. Just way too much going on.
Yeah, it's a lot. He did an interview with Aquarium Drunkard, where he tried to prep everyone for it. I'm still not sure, but less appalled than many here. Ha.

AD: How do you think your long-time fans are going to react?

Damon McMahon: Well, my long-time fans, if anybody’s been with me since 2009 when the first album came out, they’ll realize that Death Jokes is speaking to that album. It’s the only thing I’ve ever done that’s like the first album. The first album was called DIA and I recorded it myself. I played all the instruments. It was like total freedom, and I haven’t had that freedom since then. I think those folks will really like the correlation. But the people who discovered me through Freedom, I think they’ll be a little…
and:
"I just really hope that people take the time to pay attention to the details. I don’t mean like C sharp to fucking F major. I mean what I’m trying to say. Because there’s so much in this album. Even my dearest friends are saying, I didn’t understand it until I’d listened to it five times. Even to me, the message can be overwhelming. "

Yeah, it's a lot. He did an interview with Aquarium Drunkard, where he tried to prep everyone for it. I'm still not sure, but less appalled than many here. Ha.

and:
Thanks for sharing this. I’ll definitely give it 5 listens as a result, I want to see if it opens up in a profound way. To be fair I hated Kendrick’s To Pimp A Butterfly for the first few listens and now it’s cemented as my favorite hip hop record ever.

So I’ll be patient with this one out of respect for Mr. Dunes! But first listen is disorienting as fuckkkk

…didn’t understand it until I’d listened to it five times
I appreciate rewarding listeners who put forth the effort, the problem is, as the late great John Popper once sang: “The hooks bring you back” and after trudging through my initial listen there isn’t anything in particular that is calling on me to queue it up again. I don’t wanna write it off completely because I really did enjoy Freedom but the new one is lacking out of the gates.

Radar List for 5.17.24

Beth Gibbons – Lives Outgrown
Nathan Schubert – Live in Vancouver
Wu-Lu – Learning To Swim On Empty
Rapsody – Please Don't Cry
Alan Braufman –
Infinite Love Infinite Tears
Blick Bassy – Mádibá Ni Mbondi
Charlotte Cardin – A Week in Nashville EP
Kerry King – From Hell I Rise
Various – Everyone's Getting Involved
Kaïa Kater – Strange Medicine
Shellac – To All Trains
Lemon Bucket Orkestra – Cuckoo
Barry Adamson – Cut To Black
Pallbearer – Mind Burns Alive
William Shatner – Where Will The Animals Sleep? – Songs For Kids And Other Living Things
Animal, Surrender! – Animal, Surrender!
Various – Long Distance Love – A Sweet Relief Tribute to Lowell George
Ani DiFranco – Unprecedented Sh!t
Ruth Moody – Wanderer
Isobel Campbell – Bow To Love
Intervals – memory place
Blitzen Trapper – 100’s of 1000’s, Millions of Billions
Slash – Orgy of the Damned
Little Feat – Sam’s Place
renforshort – clean hands dirty water
Alana Yorke – Destroyer
UFOMAMMUT – Hidden