New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

So, what do people think about water? We have clothes dryer and there is this tank with water from the drying cycle. I take it this water is at least without minerals and such? But is it safe to use for record cleaning. It's not distilled water as the one I can get at the pharmacy, but can it still be used? This would take costs down a bit and it's convenient as it is literally in the house!
This water is technically distilled! The only catch is the cleanliness of the piping and the container in which it is stored; you don’t want anything leaching back into the water that might affect the cleaning cycle.

It may be worth a shot.

I have a project vc-s2, would this do a better job?

I don’t know if I had a vac cleaner if I would be interested in this. Its a different method and there are people who will bat for either but automated vac and ultrasonic are kind the two best options out there so it might be a sideways step. I’m hoping it’s a step up from the old spin clean.

I don’t know if I had a vac cleaner if I would be interested in this. Its a different method and there are people who will bat for either but automated vac and ultrasonic are kind the two best options out there so it might be a sideways step. I’m hoping it’s a step up from the old spin clean.
It definitely will be a step up from the Spin Clean in both ease of use and cleaning quality.

I'd say it's solid notch above my manual vacuum unit in terms of performance, and the ease of use is a huge plus. Keep in mind I haven't yet tried it on a properly soiled used record. I'll report back when I get the opportunity.

(just dug a copy of Queen's The Game out of my box of unwashed 80s records. will give that a go.)

That's why I'm particularly interested in the impressions those who also have vacuum cleaners. I think it might not just be different, but better, as in vacuum cleaning is like scrubbing by hand and rinsing, while ultrasonic cleaning is like power washing.

I was thinking it's probably a sideways step. But am interested in wether the ultrasonic does a better job.

It will be a definite upgrade to the spin clean, without doubt.

That's why I'm particularly interested in the impressions those who also have vacuum cleaners. I think it might not just be different, but better, as in vacuum cleaning is like scrubbing by hand and rinsing, while ultrasonic cleaning is like power washing.
This is basically it. Ultrasonic cleaning is cleaning by cavitation. Basically a power-wash for the record. I appreciate that it doesn't require any extra detergents.

All things being equal, I think it is considered the best available method for cleaning vinyl records; it has just generally been out of reach for many consumers unless you wanted to frankenstein a rig from a large general-purpose unit and a motorized rotisserie.

I have a vacuum cleaner (the VPI 16.5--got it for some cheap deal on amazon a long time ago) and I ordered the Humminguru. The VPI works well but it's also a tank, huge/heavy, and not easily stored away. I just don't have the space to leave it out all the time and it's kind of a pain in the ass to haul out every time i want to clean a record. It's also very loud so it's rare that I can use it during the day while my wife is home working. The Humminguru, in theory, addresses a lot of the issues I have with the VPI. The design + size were particularly of interest to me. Based on early reviews, it seems like it will address those in practice too so I'm excited to get it and test it out. As long as it works well, I'll just sell my VPI.

I had a vc-s and sold it because it's such a huge pain in the ass. It's very time consuming and manual intensive. you have to squirt your various liquid cleaners, brush it around, let it sit...for both sides. Life's too short man. I bought this humminguru to get away from all that shit. Can't wait to just set and forget. after work and other things in life, I have no interest in filling my free time with record vacuum cleaning.

Plus the cleaning isn't always great with the vc-s. You usually have to do more than one clean on a dirty record. More precious time lost. I have other interests in life besides cleaning records. I can't justify the money for a degritter but for the humminguru I can.

I have a vc-s and sold it because it's such a huge pain in the ass. It's very time consuming and manual intensive. you have to squirt your various liquid cleaners, brush it around, let it sit...for both sides. Life's too short man. I bought this humminguru to get away from all that shit. Can't wait to just set and forget.

Plus the cleaning isn't always great with the vc-s. You usually have to do more than one clean on a dirty record. More time lost.
i mean if a member with vinylcleaner in their username can't bother to deal with vacuum cleaners then there's no hope for any of us! 😂

(i'm in agreement with you on all of this)

Back