NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen to a five-year contract extension carrying a $5.1 million average annual value, reports TSN's Darren Dreger.

Ristolainen was scheduled to hit unrestricted free agency this offseason. His new deal is a slight decrease from the $5.4 million a year he's earned since 2016-17.

The Flyers acquired Ristolainen from the Buffalo Sabres last offseason for Robert Hagg, a 2021 first-round pick, and a 2023 second-rounder. Philadelphia also brought in Ryan Ellis and Cam Atkinson in separate big-ticket trades, but the moves haven't panned out, as the club sits last in the Metropolitan Division with 46 points.

Ristolainen has recorded 13 points, 177 hits, and 90 blocks while averaging over 21 minutes across 49 games this season. His underlying metrics are among the worst in the league for blue-liners, a trend that's existed for most of his career.

The Sabres drafted Ristolainen eighth overall in 2013. He's collected 258 points in 591 contests in his career.

Claude Grioux, Justin Braun, Derick Brassard, and Keith Yandle are among the Flyers' notable pending free agents.

Just think how much more fun the league would be if they adopted the Premier League model.
man. i keep pushing this agenda on Twitter. Especially if they brought back Hartford, give Atlanta the Thrashers again. Add a Salt Lake City team and a Dakotas team or Wisconsin and lets do it!!! Drop the bottom 4 teams from each conference and boom. U got a 12 team league that is playing to come up to the NHL. Top two finishers play a championship where the winning team gets 1st draft pick in the NHL draft, runner up gets 2nd draft pick and the 3rd thru 6th place finishers have a playoff for the final 2 promotion spots? 24 in the NHL fighting to not be relegated (bottom 2 from each conference go). The current NHL teams can always trade up to the first four draft picks to help the low tier teams that just got promoted build their squads....

man. i keep pushing this agenda on Twitter. Especially if they brought back Hartford, give Atlanta the Thrashers again. Add a Salt Lake City team and a Dakotas team or Wisconsin and lets do it!!! Drop the bottom 4 teams from each conference and boom. U got a 12 team league that is playing to come up to the NHL. Top two finishers play a championship where the winning team gets 1st draft pick in the NHL draft, runner up gets 2nd draft pick and the 3rd thru 6th place finishers have a playoff for the final 2 promotion spots? 24 in the NHL fighting to not be relegated (bottom 2 from each conference go). The current NHL teams can always trade up to the first four draft picks to help the low tier teams that just got promoted build their squads....

Love it!! Get rid of the salary cap and put in a luxury tax. Also adapt to international ice measurements.

For the clubs that just continue to suck, there’s no real incentive for them to get better. Let those teams muck around in the lower tier league and actually work to move up. I’d also like to see the league get tougher with penalty reviews a la VAR.
That non call on Ovechkin last night was some brutal bullshit.

The Dallas Stars signed veteran forward Joe Pavelski to a one-year deal, the team announced Friday.

The contract is worth a base of $5.5 million, plus an additional $500,000 in performance-based incentives

The 37-year-old paces his team with 59 points in 56 games this season while leading all Stars forwards in ice time. He was set to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason after playing out the final season of a three-year, $21-million contract.

Pavelski continues to be immune to the passage of time since joining Dallas in 2019-20 as a free agent. He made a mark during the Stars' run to the 2020 Stanley Cup Final, logging 19 points in 27 contests and scoring the first postseason hat trick in Stars history since the team relocated from Minnesota.

The ageless wonder represented Dallas at the 2022 NHL All-Star Game and is currently scoring at a 1.05 points-per-game clip, which is the highest of his career.

A seventh-round draft pick of the Sharks in 2003, Pavelski spent 13 seasons in San Jose. He has 416 goals and 486 assists in 1,142 career games.

According to the rumor dudes(you know who they are), Pens are going all in for one last run for da Cup.
Lots of smoke around Vancouver. Marino & Kap possibly on the table. Boeser in play.
Should be interesting.

According to the rumor dudes(you know who they are), Pens are going all in for one last run for da Cup.
Lots of smoke around Vancouver. Marino & Kap possibly on the table. Boeser in play.
Should be interesting.
I've heard the Boeser rumor along with others. Seems to me if the Pens are going to pull the trigger on a trade before the deadline it will be with GMJR in Vancouver as he is always willing to overpay to get the player he wants. Kappanen is a good case in point.

I've heard the Boeser rumor along with others. Seems to me if the Pens are going to pull the trigger on a trade before the deadline it will be with GMJR in Vancouver as he is always willing to overpay to get the player he wants. Kappanen is a good case in point.

I’m starting to think that adding another winger isn’t going to solve much as long as they have a coach who continues to maintain the same system. Every year it feels like Malkin needs a winger or Sid needs a winger. There was Phil. Then Zucker. Then Kappanen. Either their scouts stink or it’s the other guy.

I’m starting to think that adding another winger isn’t going to solve much as long as they have a coach who continues to maintain the same system. Every year it feels like Malkin needs a winger or Sid needs a winger. There was Phil. Then Zucker. Then Kappanen. Either their scouts stink or it’s the other guy.
Sully and his system is not the problem imo. It's his unwillingness to juggle his lines, especially his top line, but then again can't fault him as they've produced all season long.

Back