Online Vinyl Deals

New distributor who doesn’t seem to carry much UMG product

thing is: i'm pretty sure they just use directtoyou or alliance or whatever the hell their actual name is. just got a pile of target orders and they look identical to anything i've ever ordered from deep discount, popmarket, etc. from the mailers to the packing lists to the labels.

why target's selection is so bizarre is beyond me. it must have something to do with umg themselves.

thing is: i'm pretty sure they just use directtoyou or alliance or whatever the hell their actual name is. just got a pile of target orders and they look identical to anything i've ever ordered from deep discount, popmarket, etc. from the mailers to the packing lists to the labels.

why target's selection is so bizarre is beyond me. it must have something to do with umg themselves.
Maybe UMG was mad they were selling BN stuff below retail in presale? Dunno. It’s weird.

Yeah most of these places just use Alliance for fulfillment. Deep discount, collector's choice, etc. Even 150+ indie stores that use Broadtime partially use Alliance for fulfillment.

It keeps investment low so they can work on smaller margins, no warehousing, less employees, etc. They beat our prices plenty of the time because of these factors. Great for customers because you can nab some crazy deals. Overall I think it's a bummer for the whole industry though. If you're a store not investing in growing your inventory, I don't know, it's weird to me. Also, if you're a local mom and pop shop but you're not handling your own fulfillment, it seems weird to me. Those sales/fulfillment should go to employing people in your local community, not going towards growing some fulfillment center 5 States away. I'm proud that we do as much in house as possible and it has helped us work to having a decent amount of staff that are all local. But I also realize the flip side of that coin is that without some of this 3PL shit - plenty of mom and pop stores wouldn't be around.

How did I get here? Why am I complaining about something nobody was talking about? Oh god - I've become that guy. The old curmudgeon record store owner that complains about any sort of change. But if I'm self-aware does that change it? No - probably not. I'll shut up now.

Thanks all of you for supporting us during this sale - it's been a great one so far!

Back