Online Vinyl Deals

The thing is , he wasn't really wrong lol

Lester Bangs was an incredibly astute observationalist. Like Carlin and Zevon, I'd love to hear his take on our current musical/societal/world situation.

He was controversial, he was totally invested in his sometimes outrageous opinions and he was always a great read.

I'd love to hear his take on our current musical/societal/world situation.
Oh I can take a crack at that:

He would be brigaded, flamed, cancelled, downvoted, and what have you by the fanbases of every indie pop/rock darling that cannot handle a phrase of criticism after he called out their beloved artist for turning in an album that was too safe of not boundary pushing enough. And he would not give a fuck about his follower count, blue check or karma score.

He would have carpet bombed trends like "sad girl whispers cover song while plucking a piano that she cannot play", and the entire "Hey/Ho/Hey" indie folk movement.

He would have an antagonistic series of interviews with Trent Reznor asking how it feels to be a comfy middle aged TV music composer instead of a genre-bending voice of a generation and probably ask why A Place To Bury Strangers makes better NIN albums than he does now.

He would probably write an essay about the Spotify/Bandcamp artist proliferation, that it's both great for variety but bemoan how it will keep any artist from becoming generationally great; we would get into the silliness of fans saying every single god damn album is "my AOTY" while listening to it once before going on to the next AOTY on Spotify and forgetting all about each one in a month. He would have ended this by verbally assaulting anyone than does not know all the words to anything they would call "AOTY'.

His AOTY? New Guided By Voices. every year.

There would be volumes, and i mean fucking volumes, on his love/hate relationship with Malkmus. Same about his pure love of Sonic Youth.

Dozens of half coherent, 2am written streams of consciousness and they all contain at least one line that is better and more quotable than anything you ever wrote at your most inspired phase in college writing for your music blog.

*On another note- him and guys like Laughner made CREEM the only truly relevant music publication because they were the ones that held rock music accountable. Because unlike the bulk of music writers before or since, the staff of CREEM actually LOVED music, most played music, and they understood that it is human nature to get fat and comfortable when you are no longer broke and in pain which is a primary driver in making great art. They were often vicious not for the sake of it, but because they knew their victims either had better in them, or that they were pretenders trying to invade their sacred ground. Nothing has filled that void since.

Last edited:
Oh I can take a crack at that:

He would be brigaded, flamed, cancelled, downvoted, and what have you by the fanbases of every indie pop/rock darling that cannot handle a phrase of criticism after he called out their beloved artist for turning in an album that was too safe of not boundary pushing enough. And he would not give a fuck about his follower count, blue check or karma score.

He would have carpet bombed trends like "sad girl whispers cover song while plucking a piano that she cannot play", and the entire "Hey/Ho/Hey" indie folk movement.

He would have an antagonistic series of interviews with Trent Reznor asking how it feels to be a comfy middle aged TV music composer instead of a genre-bending voice of a generation and probably ask why A Place To Bury Strangers makes better NIN albums than he does now.

He would probably write an essay about the Spotify/Bandcamp artist proliferation, that it's both great for variety but bemoan how it will keep any artist from becoming generationally great; we would get into the silliness of fans saying every single god damn album is "my AOTY" while listening to it once before going on to the next AOTY on Spotify and forgetting all about each one in a month. He would have ended this by verbally assaulting anyone than does not know all the words to anything they would call "AOTY'.

His AOTY? New Guided By Voices. every year.

There would be volumes, and i mean fucking volumes, on his love/hate relationship with Malkmus. Same about his pure love of Sonic Youth.

Dozens of half coherent, 2am written streams of consciousness and they all contain at least one line that is better and more quotable than anything you ever wrote at your most inspired phase in college writing for your music blog.

*On another note- him and guys like Laughner made CREEM the only truly relevant music publication because they were the ones that held rock music accountable. Because unlike the bulk of music writers before or since, the staff of CREEM actually LOVED music, most played music, and they understood that it is human nature to get fat and comfortable when you are no longer broke and in pain which is a primary driver in making great art. They were often vicious not for the sake of it, but because they knew their victims either had better in them, or that they were pretenders trying to invade their sacred ground. Nothing has filled that void since.
Love this. I missed out on Bangs career in real time but at least I have this…
38236F9B-199A-4F74-AE2C-6371F5B44B44.jpeg
Also, thankfully we still have a few amazing crotchety old school Rock critics kicking around. Namely former Village Voice stalwart, Robert Christgau.

I will add that I feel like Ryan Schrieber prior to selling off Pitchfork to Candé Naste and retiring to a Brooklyn brownstone so he could go collect obscure Reggae and Dub 45’s in peace, was probably the closest thing my I had to generational music critic with an opinion of of his own. I think the best rock critic going today is the surprisingly divisive, Steven Hyden.

View attachment 168050
Also, thankfully we still have a few amazing crotchety old school Rock critics kicking around. Namely former Village Voice stalwart, Robert Christgau.

I will add that I feel like Ryan Schrieber prior to selling off Pitchfork to Candé Naste and retiring to a Brooklyn brownstone so he could go collect obscure Reggae and Dub 45’s in peace, was probably the closest thing my I had to generational music critic with an opinion of of his own. I think the best rock critic going today is the surprisingly divisive, Steven Hyden.

What's funny is i think Bangs hated Christgau. We know Lou Reed sure did.

CREEM actually put their archives online and you can get access to the whole thing for like $5 a month or something.

View attachment 168050

Big Steven Hyden fan. Is he divisive? Maybe I just agree with most of his takes, though I can see the Oasis > Blur getting some people upset

Back