Online Vinyl Deals

I didn’t used to think so until I posted about his Kid A book in the Radiohead thread and discovered that quite a few folks on here really hate his writing style.
Same here - I've really enjoyed his books, especially Twilight of the Gods.
Yeah, that one and Your Favorite Band is Killing Me really got me into him. Also love many of his podcasts and just feel like he’s a guy I’d love to grab a beer with. But I feel like he’s clever and thoughtful, so more curious what people don’t like about him. Need to read his PJ book soon

I will add that I feel like Ryan Schrieber prior to selling off Pitchfork to Candé Naste and retiring to a Brooklyn brownstone so he could go collect obscure Reggae and Dub 45’s in peace, was probably the closest thing my I had to generational music critic with an opinion of of his own.
I feel like he was automatically dq’d the second he posted that Coltrane at the Village Vanguard review

I feel like he was automatically dq’d the second he posted that Coltrane at the Village Vanguard review
Oh yeah, it’s rough…
…I tend to grant Ryan a bit of grace since Pitchfork basically went from a nascent music blog to indie rock’s version of Rolling Stone in the span of 5 years. For awhile he was handling a giant chunk of the reviews and dude definitely needed an editor to step in and tell him that writing a “Jazzbo” review of a Coltrane album was a bad decision. There are a few others that are notably terrible too; but ultimately he was passionate and held strong opinions about the music he was reviewing and sadly by the turn of the millennium that was in short supply in major music publications.

Last edited:
Love this. I missed out on Bangs career in real time but at least I have this…
View attachment 168050
Also, thankfully we still have a few amazing crotchety old school Rock critics kicking around. Namely former Village Voice stalwart, Robert Christgau.

I will add that I feel like Ryan Schrieber prior to selling off Pitchfork to Candé Naste and retiring to a Brooklyn brownstone so he could go collect obscure Reggae and Dub 45’s in peace, was probably the closest thing my I had to generational music critic with an opinion of of his own. I think the best rock critic going today is the surprisingly divisive, Steven Hyden.
So I snagged this (and it’s companion) and read the first essay. How was a reader in 1972 not supposed to go looking for these non-existent Count Five albums?

OK, looks like there's interest. And to be clear, I have no affiliation to this seller; I'm simply on the email list and got a notice about these two (and a few more) on sale this morning, hence the "online vinyl deal":

beck at Roskilde, 1997

Simon & Garfunkel, Hollywood Bowl, 1968

And @Crabbers : not on sale but the site does have Alice in Chains -- 1990 KPFK 90.7 Radio Broadcast but not Counting Crows or Radiohead.

Couple of nice bowie boots too

I'm personally looking for mason's antichrist superstar, because I'm not eager to put money in his pockets directly and since the masters are lost there's no real reissue coming any time soon ...

How long does Rhino usually take to ship out orders?

Date Ordered: 02/20/2023 6:45 pm
Order Status: In Progress

Ouvrez Le Chien (Live Dallas 95) (2LP)
LIVEANDWELL.COM [2LP]

OK, looks like there's interest. And to be clear, I have no affiliation to this seller; I'm simply on the email list and got a notice about these two (and a few more) on sale this morning, hence the "online vinyl deal":

beck at Roskilde, 1997
Simon & Garfunkel, Hollywood Bowl, 1968

And @Crabbers : not on sale but the site does have Alice in Chains -- 1990 KPFK 90.7 Radio Broadcast but not Counting Crows or Radiohead.
Ooh thanks for the website..I’ll have to keep an eye on it :)

More at Ernie's Millions site

I got the first live Sonic Youth there, it actually sounds good!

It's part of this set, which is nearly impossible to buy for a reasonable price

Back