Online Vinyl Deals

had to go back to both sales for more 😳

plaid room had have a nice life's deathconsciousness for under $30—i've been tracking the price on this record for a while and i have never seen it go that low, even used. couldn't resist, and added ride's going blank again to push me over the free shipping limit.

i was able to squeeze 2 free titles into a few orders at sound of vinyl. quite an involved process—if you can get more than one title to show up in your cart, bypass the "checkout" button and use paypal/amazon pay/apple instead. it doesn't always work but repeated efforts yielded success. (we'll see if they actually ship out though...)

i really did not need to spend any more money and none of these feel essential but i almost feel obligated to exploit the weaknesses in universal music's web retail operations

Attachments

• 1687186312585.png
    1687186312585.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 1687186363443.png
    1687186363443.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 1687186394141.png
    1687186394141.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 23
I still can't figure out how to get two LPs in my cart per order. Any help or a link to reddit would be very much appreciated.

Update: figured out how to do one but still not sure why a second LP showed up.

Also: Almost Famous soundtrack colored vinyl is back in stock
And: Joe Pass, for Django is back (for now)

Last edited:
I still can't figure out how to get two LPs in my cart per order. Any help or a link to reddit would be very much appreciated.

Also: Almost Famous soundtrack colored vinyl is back in stock.

I can get 2 but not more plus my shipping went up to $18

Also: Almost Famous soundtrack colored vinyl is back in stock.

I have no idea why people are spending so much time trying to game $8 LPs even further when good stuff is selling out.

The thread at SHF is like 90% people spending all day trying to multiple LP hack the cart

i really did not need to spend any more money and none of these feel essential but i almost feel obligated to exploit the weaknesses in universal music's web retail operations
I’m not sure it’s the weakness of UMG’s web retail, but rather them saying “we have way too much stock and no one will buy these titles unless they’re literally free.” They’ll probably make $4/5 on shipping for each record, but it’s all stuff that was just sitting there and will now be passed on to us consumers, many of whose will try and sell them on the secondary market months from now and the prices of those albums will be like $10/12 on Discogs and such.

So many crazy sales lately that seems to indicate that all the production has finally caught up to the pandemic demand, but the demand has fallen significantly post-pandemic for various reasons (people back at work, less money/inflation, less time on the internet, etc.).

So many crazy sales lately that seems to indicate that all the production has finally caught up to the pandemic demand, but the demand has fallen significantly post-pandemic for various reasons (people back at work, less money/inflation, less time on the internet, etc.).
I think there is some logic that can be applied to it- lots of them like the Steve Miller and McCartney titles, they have been trying to give away for months.

Many of the jazz titles have been on clearance at other sites like AS for about $10-12 already. Some of the more eye raising clearance titles here like the McCartney 3xLP, the Achtung Baby 30th, the Almost Famous OSTs, the Avalanches/ Pearl Jam last albums- I think didn't quite hit the volume level to match the hype they got, even though fans had been demanding some of that stuff for a while.

The Nirvana LP's were probably huge pressing orders for the Nevermind 30th run, just leftover stock they couldn't move at $40 each. But I'm still surprised they moved Nirvana LP's at bargain bin prices, that is unheard of.

So...I don't think it's a sign of production catchup, but just maybe volume miscalculations.

Just my educated guess though, I could be wrong.

I’m not sure it’s the weakness of UMG’s web retail, but rather them saying “we have way too much stock and no one will buy these titles unless they’re literally free.”
the exploit in this case would be getting two free lp's shipped for $8. jury is still out on whether this is possible, but i wouldn't be surprised if my orders go through—my hunch is that the warehouse operation is totally independent from the sales department

but your larger point stands, i have no doubt that UMG in particular is producing far over demand. they are also marking up LP wholesale far above the manufacturing cost, especially for popular catalogue titles. maybe they are bringing in enough money from people who will pay an inflated initial MSRP (especially on things like tone poets and remastered classic rock) to make up for a market decline?

I think there is some logic that can be applied to it- lots of them like the Steve Miller and McCartney titles, they have been trying to give away for months.

Many of the jazz titles have been on clearance at other sites like AS for about $10-12 already. Some of the more eye raising clearance titles here like the McCartney 3xLP, the Achtung Baby 30th, the Almost Famous OSTs, the Avalanches/ Pearl Jam last albums- I think didn't quite hit the volume level to match the hype they got, even though fans had been demanding some of that stuff for a while.

The Nirvana LP's were probably huge pressing orders for the Nevermind 30th run, just leftover stock they couldn't move at $40 each. But I'm still surprised they moved Nirvana LP's at bargain bin prices, that is unheard of.

So...I don't think it's a sign of production catchup, but just maybe volume miscalculations.

Just my educated guess though, I could be wrong.
I think we’re essentially saying the same thing, maybe I worded it a bit weird. There seemed to be so much demand during COVID, which probably was true. That resulted in lots of production demand that was delayed, in many cases, more than a year. Now, the market has completely flipped where demand is way down and supply was ramped up or produced in anticipation of there being sustained demand.

Anecdotally, my vinyl purchases are way down from where they were when I was working from home. I simply don’t have time to listen as much, and new prices have gotten so out of control that I have to really pick and choose what I’m actually going to listen to consistently and appreciate at $35/40 a pop.

Using the Plaid sale as an example, they are selling several MoFis at nearly half off, when in 2021 you couldn’t find some of those for less than $100. I would laugh if you told me I could get American Beauty, Bill Wither’s GH, and Love Changes for less than $100 combined. Of course MoFi has had their own journey the last year or so, but I think that’s telling of where this hobby was two years ago, and where it is today. I’m sure production correct itself (maybe not the prices on new stuff) as these labels lose money, but who knows.

As a consumer, I’ll take lower secondary prices all day long. Those days of people buying new releases just to immediately flip sucked.

Also: Almost Famous soundtrack colored vinyl is back in stock
And: Joe Pass, for Django is back (for now)
I haven’t been able to do it either. To be precise, I sometimes land multiple items on my cart, but when I proceed to checkout then it only shows the latest one I added. @TheThinWhiteDuke is probably right though; if you don’t want to pay $8 for an album then it probably shouldn’t be in your collection.

Back