Online Vinyl Deals

Chiming in with my two-cents. I've lived all over the US from the Mojave desert in Arizona to the Great Plains/Rocky Mountains in Montana, coastal Connecticut, Wisconsin, Missouri, Georgia, Appalachians of West Virginia and Maryland, Indiana, Nebraska, South Dakota, etc.
Everyone has different preferences and one person's paradise is another's shithole. There's much about the Midwest that I love: affordable housing, abundant freshwater (lakes/rivers to paddle on), less densely populated, deciduous forests for hiking/camping, and the four seasons. I love the winter, especially hiking in the forest when it's frozen and quiet and my dogs can run wild.

Not vinyl, but I've been tempted by this CD boxset more than once.

Hi All - Thank you for the thoughtful responses. I know that all of this is off topic and to be fair, I lived on the East Coast for nine years so I have a little bit of a chip on my shoulder as far as defending the Midwest (plus, my CA family likes to make fun of it as well). One point a friend made to me during the (hopefully one time) Reign of Trump, is that you go a few feet outside of most cities and things tend to go downhill fast. @TenderLovingKiller® , my wife is from Paducah and as a person that never went south of Midway Airport other than STL, it was a shock the first time I ventured down there. My original point was that I don't think it is fair to just write off an entire region but for those of you that don't like cold weather (and apparently seasons), I feel sorry for you (three cheers for WI and MN!). @zdkaiser, hell yes.

PS Madison and MKE are badass and I am in both towns with some regularity. Completely underrated.
PPS How do any of you have any money left? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
Not vinyl, but I've been tempted by this CD boxset more than once.

Fuuuuuuuuck, that is tempting for sure. Thankfully, not having a CD player at home makes it easier to walk away - I don't know how much play 121 classical CDs would get in my car!

Hi All - Thank you for the thoughtful responses. I know that all of this is off topic. One point a friend made to me during the (hopefully one time) Reign of Trump, is that you go a few feet outside of most cities and things tend to go downhill fast. @Hemotep, my wife is from Paducah and as a person that never went south of Midway Airport other than STL, it was a shock the first time I ventured down there. My original point was that I don't think it is fair to just write off an entire region but for those of you that don't like cold weather (and apparently seasons), I feel sorry for you (three cheers for WI and MN!).

PS Madison and MKE are badass and I am in both towns with some regularity. Completely underrated.
PPS How do any of you have any money left? Asking for a friend.
Fyi, I replied to you, but your message wasn't in reference to me 😁 That said, I get your point, but I also don't feel attached to anywhere and love to talk shit about everywhere too. I know others don't feel that way and I respect that, but like @zdkaiser, I've lived in so many different states and so many different countries that I don't feel at home anywhere/feel like anywhere can be home. I can't seem to escape Trump fanatics no matter where I move. Even in South America I was surrounded by too many fascists. I just want to live off the grid with a bunch of y'all in a record hording community where I can read, listen to music, fish, cook, and ferment things until I die.

but for those of you that don't like cold weather (and apparently seasons), I feel sorry for you (three cheers for WI and MN!).
No pity necessary.

The Midwest is a nice place to be from. I miss the glow of lightning bugs, the rhythmic call of cicadas, and the rolling rumble of a thunderstorm, I also miss the food but you’ll never catch me reminiscing about the Midwest weather. I am more than happy to never have to deal with pealing my balls off my inner thigh in July or a bitter cold January where I breathe in air so cold that I gasp followed by a shouted expletive ever again.

Last edited:
Minnesota born-and-raised. Our kids have moved to the coasts - but will hopefully be back.

In my decades here, I will say it's been a pretty awesome experience. Great music venues/scene, great arts, theater and decent food. Excellent education and health care. (Hence, the outrageous f'in taxes!)

But here's the thing - all that is true if you're white (which I am). Person of color? Not so much.

George Floyd's murder laid bare so many of these disparaties. As a (mostly) thoughtful community, we've been uncomfortably working through a lot of these issues the last couple years. Things get exponentially worse when you venture outside the 5-6 metro areas in the state.

So yeah - regular tour stop for almost every artist, four seasons, all five (medicore) professional sports franchises, public investment, outdoorsy, urbany, etc. But like most places - we got work to do.

Back