Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

Takes one to know one...........who brought this all up in the first place ;)
Your mom.

Mostly I was just curious how you were getting it to work since the default requires a little tinkering (and I maybe interested in the discounted SL and trying to justify a purchase)

Well, I did a thing.

View attachment 215056

Benz Micro LP-S. I’ll probably get it on the Feickert this weekend. 🤞
Yeah, baby! Carl strikes again, I'll bet. Loved my LPS but sold it with the VPI table I had. It's too heavy for the Rega arm so went with the Benz Ruby Z which is considerably lighter. Both it and the LPS sound incredible and I know you will absolutely love your new cart. Congrats.

HOT DIGGITY DAMN!

Well, Mr. Fancy-Pants Soundsmith Paua, I didn’t want you to have all the fun on your bday!

Yeah, baby! Carl strikes again, I'll bet. Loved my LPS but sold it with the VPI table I had. It's too heavy for the Rega arm so went with the Benz Ruby Z which is considerably lighter. Both it and the LPS sound incredible and I know you will absolutely love your new cart. Congrats.
Thanks. I’ve been curious about Benz for awhile now, so what better place to start? I was originally looking at a Mutec Hyabusa but was a bit nervous spending quite that much, Carl was able to bring this one into my comfort zone with a “trade in” of a used up Hana SL with almost 1500 hours on it.

Good man that Carl, thanks for introducing us.

Well, Mr. Fancy-Pants Soundsmith Paua, I didn’t want you to have all the fun on your bday!

Thanks. I’ve been curious about Benz for awhile now, so what better place to start? I was originally looking at a Mutec Hyabusa but was a bit nervous spending quite that much, Carl was able to bring this one into my comfort zone with a “trade in” of a used up Hana SL with almost 1500 hours on it.

Good man that Carl, thanks for introducing us.
The Benz will bring you musical joy. I look forward to hearing your system.
Carl Jerritts @ apexaudiodenver.com

I’m a fan of the MP-300. Have a MP-500 stylus ready to go once the 300 stylus bites the dust.
Yeah the equation ultimately boils down to:

- up front cost
- stylus interchangeability
- value

The JT80 kinda loses on the interchangeability element but is arguably the best match for my turntable (I think Nagaoka designed this line with Technics 1200s in mind?), the 300 is the most expensive but could have the best value proposition long term if I swap in an MP-500 stylus, and the MP-200 is kinda the sweet spot in that it might not perform s well as the others, but is also still a solid move.

Let's start the hornets nest of mono carts in the modern age, shall we ;)

With the new mono rig "under construction" I'm looking for feedback on a mono cart. I can run both MM and MC, I've tried the Grado M+ and Ortofon Quintet (White). Liked the Quintet better out of the two, any other suggestions? Part of me wants to stick with either Grado or Hana (I'd have to get heavier hardware for the Hana because it's a smidge too light), basically because they've never disappointed, but I'm open to recs :)

Budget <$600, Fire away :)

With the new mono rig "under construction" I'm looking for feedback on a mono cart. I can run both MM and MC, I've tried the Grado M+ and Ortofon Quintet (White). Liked the Quintet better out of the two, any other suggestions? Part of me wants to stick with either Grado or Hana (I'd have to get heavier hardware for the Hana because it's a smidge too light), basically because they've never disappointed, but I'm open to recs :)

It is right at your price limit, but I’d be tempted to get the Hana SL Mono gen 1. I really enjoyed my SL stereo that I had.

Last edited:
It’s r

ight at your price limit, but I’d be tempted to get the Hana SL Mono gen 1. I really enjoyed my SL stereo that I had.
This was my initial choice and it may stick in the long run, it's just a little light based on documentation (listed as 5g) but, my current SL came in at at 5.5ish g, so maybe some different hardware would get me over the hump.

This is my "short" list so far:
  • Audio Technica AT33MONO - $300
  • Grado Platinum 3 [Mono] - $400
  • Ortofon 2M Mono - $425
  • Hana SL [Mono] - $600
The AT and Hana are under the minimum cart weight for this arm [7-11g]. The AT at 6.9, negligible, and the Hana at 5g.

Back