Political Discussion

TL;DR. Dog was trained to bring the owner his gun. Hijinks ensue.

My takeaway is that Joe Manchin thinks the bill is to expensive, has been rushed and that democrats should not use budget-reconciliation legislation to pass this sweeping reform that only require a simple majority.

He's asking for fellow democrats to step back and place a pause on this legislation and to reconsider. He is signaling that he will not be a yes vote for it this month in the senate.

My takeaway is that Joe Manchin thinks the bill is to expensive, has been rushed and that democrats should not use budget-reconciliation legislation to pass this sweeping reform that only require a simple majority.

He's asking for fellow democrats to step back and place a pause on this legislation and to reconsider. He is signaling that he will not be a yes vote for it this month in the senate.
I despise Manchin

NBC is reporting that both Florida and South Dakota have there own version of Texas anti abortion law ready to go and are expected to pass them within the next few days. Several other states are likely to use Texas law as a blueprint for their own laws now that the SCOTUS has let it stand.

Just learned about something I never heard of before. Heirs property.

When it comes to low income Americans, especially minorities and Native Americans, they don't have the money to create a proper will. Their descendants are now living on land or homes that they inherited where there was no will. When it comes to heirs property there is no clear ownership.

In Louisiana an estimated 70% of low income families live in heirs property. And this is being reported now because of Ida. Because there is no clear ownership of the land / properties, people who live on heirs property are unable to prove they own the property. And this creates huge issues when it comes to disasters. Heirs properties are not eligible for FEMA/Federal Disaster Relief. This means that these low income / minority families will not getting the aid they need to rebuild.

Also, not related to disasters, the story noted how developers are taking advantage of this situation. If a property has been an heirs property for a few generations there could be as many as 30 different who have a percentage of ownership. And all it takes is one who wants to sell to force the sale of the property, often well below market value. Developers are clearing neighborhoods by paying off one relative to want to sell forcing the sale of the property. When it comes to prime land on the oceanfront, they are taking over whole neighborhoods this way to build luxury resorts in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama.

This is interesting. I could get behind it if it's done right. It has to be both sustainable for the environment / water supply and affordable for housing.

This is interesting. I could get behind it if it's done right. It has to be both sustainable for the environment / water supply and affordable for housing.
PSH!

I'm moving to Slime City

Just learned about something I never heard of before. Heirs property.

When it comes to low income Americans, especially minorities and Native Americans, they don't have the money to create a proper will. Their descendants are now living on land or homes that they inherited where there was no will. When it comes to heirs property there is no clear ownership.

In Louisiana an estimated 70% of low income families live in heirs property. And this is being reported now because of Ida. Because there is no clear ownership of the land / properties, people who live on heirs property are unable to prove they own the property. And this creates huge issues when it comes to disasters. Heirs properties are not eligible for FEMA/Federal Disaster Relief. This means that these low income / minority families will not getting the aid they need to rebuild.

Also, not related to disasters, the story noted how developers are taking advantage of this situation. If a property has been an heirs property for a few generations there could be as many as 30 different who have a percentage of ownership. And all it takes is one who wants to sell to force the sale of the property, often well below market value. Developers are clearing neighborhoods by paying off one relative to want to sell forcing the sale of the property. When it comes to prime land on the oceanfront, they are taking over whole neighborhoods this way to build luxury resorts in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama.
After H. Katrina, Louisiana Appleseed helped heirs claim FEMA assistance. Since Katrina, they've been passing laws to make it easier and less costly to get house titles in the correct hands. Other states should take note if they haven't already. https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/gtr/gtr-srs244/gtr_srs244_010.pdf

What did Bad Religion say about the answer...

Just remember, if you've got enough naivete and you've got conviction then the answer is perfect for you.

I love how they have projects that are supposed to cut down on pollution and their first solution is to build new.

You know what they say, if you want something done right, wait for a billionaire Walmart executive to accumulate the right mix of private investment and public tax incentive to do it for you.

Transparent governance that residents will be allowed to participate in, and they might even get to co-own portions of the land! Wow! Truly, a vision of the future.

Equitism Tower, GTFO
And this is another gem:
BIG's founder, Danish architect Bjarke Ingels, is meanwhile quoted as saying that Telosa "embodies the social and environmental care of Scandinavian culture, and the freedom and opportunity of a more American culture."

So we're going to make sure to build a future city based only on Western ideas and influences. I see no problems here.

So I take it this ideal city will lean a little more Columbia than Rapture.

bioshock-superJumbo.jpg

The 2024 election is still 1,155 days away -- I counted -- but, according to one senior aide to Donald Trump, the former president is all-but-certain to run again.
"I would say somewhere between 99 and 100 percent," Jason Miller told Cheddar earlier this month when asked about the chances that Trump runs again. "I think he is definitely running in 2024."

(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

Back