Pop, Pop, Pop Culture - The SDCC August Spin Challenge!

Day 3: Play something that is considered counter-culture / underground.

Helena Meirelles - A Rainha Da Viola Caipira

Helena played at brothels and occasionally worked as a prostitute. She was a hard woman who fought a lot. Had a lot of kids, married and divorced several times. Later in life she found a little fame and was included as one of the 100 best guitar players in a Guitar Player Magazine ranking. This was a random grab from the description and one of my most spun albums since I bought it a couple years ago. She's a brilliant player and it's a lovely kind of Brazilian folk/country music in a genre that had few women.

IMG20240803125316.jpg

Day 1: Taking it back to where it began, SDCC traces its roots to 1970 when the first 3 day con was held, with about 300 attendees (compared to the 135k roughly estimated now). One of the special guests that year was Jack Kirby. Kirby created or co-created a number of well known characters like Iron Man, Captain America, Fantastic Four, and the X-Men and was known for his dynamic drawing style. This biography of Kirby is well worth a read.

Play something with a great illustration or something iconic on the cover.

The Mountain Goats - Goths

Sticking with the comics inspiration, I picked an album with a cover by cartoonist and illustrator Leela Corman.

1000150958.jpg

Day 2:
Play something that was hyped up prior to its release (rightly or wrongly).

To be honest, I rarely spend time reading up on releases or the "hype" of an upcoming album. I certainly don't buy many albums that have any mainstream hype prior to their release.

This release, more specifically the B-Side track "Mary On A Cross" got some Tik Tok viral hype 3 years after its release. And enough hype for them to reissue the 7" in 2023.

Ghost ‎– Seven Inches Of Satanic Panic
Loma Vista ‎– LVR00739, 2019

"Kiss The Go-Goat" b/w "Mary On A Cross"

Pressed by MRP/GZ/Rainbo

1DqDmr.jpg

KpyXfk.jpg

Day 2: Stan Lee was a con staple until his passing, saw him a number of times there. The ultimate hype man, I’m glad he was able to see the rebirth of the Marvel brand in his later years. I recommend this book as a good read on the history of Marvel and Stan.

Mitski - Laurel Hell

After the previous two records, it seemed like there was a lot of hype for this one, to the point that some people's expectations kept them from fully enjoying an enjoyable album.

1000150959.jpg

Day 4: Play something with no words – be it a single track on an album, or a full album.

Day 3:

Various – Brown Acid: The Seventeenth Trip (Heavy Rock From The Underground Comedown)
View attachment 210361

The Brown Acid series is so, so good and hella fun.

I'll stick with Riding Easy Records for today's instrumental prompt...

The Death Wheelers - I Tread On Your Grave

IMG_6111.jpeg

Day 1: Play something with a great illustration or something iconic on the cover.

1000010795.jpg

Jumping back into a monthly spin challenge seeing if I can finish the month, honestly this is a good excuse to play music daily and rediscover things in my collection, here we go!

I always liked this alien invasion post apocalyptic cover and really love this record!

Day 2: Play something that was hyped up prior to its release (rightly or wrongly).

Weezer "Pinkerton" (1996 Geffen; 2016 club edition)
I remember a ton of hype for this because of the hugely successful debut album. It wasn't so well received, mainly because it's so different from its more jubilant predecessor. I actually enjoyed it well enough, but put it aside for years until the Club that shall not be named decided to feature it. Reminded me how much I like this album, which is pretty much the only Weezer album I ever return to any more.

IMG_1736.JPG

Day 2: Play something that was hyped up prior to its release (rightly or wrongly

1000010796.jpg

Snoop Doggy Dogg "Doggystyle"

The Chronic hit like a ton of bricks, it changed the game and the biggest breakout star was some kid named Snoopy or some shit! Well it didn't take long for people to know his motherfucking name and they haven't forgot it since! People didn't know what The Chronic was going to be, few people probably cared Dre was making a record but once they started talking about Snoop doing a solo album people were HYPED! Needless to say the album lived up to the hype and in retrospect seems to be his peak that he never really was able to reach with music again, everything else he's done has kept his name in people's mouths for years!

Day 2:

Save Rock And Roll ~ Fall Out Boy

They hype leading up to this album was MASSIVE in my circles at the time. I had gotten into FOB just after they went on that hiatus. I was pumped to be a part of a new album cycle for FOB. This is the album I got to see them tour on along with paramore. I have some fond memories attached to this one.

1722783918136.png

Day 4: Play something with no words – be it a single track on an album, or a full album.

Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez - A Manual Dexterity: Soundtrack Volume One

Only two of the ten tracks on the album have vocals. The instrumentals on this album are excellent and as someone who loves instrumental only albums it's one of several that hits a sweet spot in Omar's discography for me. It also contains the right amount of experimentation for a casual morning listen without totally pissing the wife off 😂 I know I'm a bit of a broken record on this, but it really is a shame that he's most well known for Mars Volta, which is near the bottom tier of his output imo.

IMG20240804110540.jpg

Day 3: Play something that is considered counter-culture / underground.

1000010797.jpg

VA - Project Blowed

This is the LA underground pushing back against all the gangster rap that was popping up everywhere once Dre made it profitable. NY had the Lyricist Lounge and LA had The Good Life Cafe, they were places for emcees to be different and weird without judgement or better yet to be able to express themselves without having to follow trends. This is only a taste of the movement that never really bubbled to the surface, for better or worse.

Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez - A Manual Dexterity: Soundtrack Volume One

Only two of the ten tracks on the album have vocals. The instrumentals on this album are excellent and as someone who loves instrumental only albums it's one of several that hits a sweet spot in Omar's discography for me. It also contains the right amount of experimentation for a casual morning listen without totally pissing the wife off 😂 I know I'm a bit of a broken record on this, but it really is a shame that he's most well known for Mars Volta, which is near the bottom tier of his output imo.

View attachment 210379

Looking at his discography where do you start? Through the band 90 Day Men I discovered his band De Facto which I rather enjoyed, I have mixed feelings about Mars Volta, each album to me gets just a little worse as you go along their discography, like not all that bad just not as good as the last one! He has a lot of work out there, is it a simple start from the beginning or is there an album or a run of albums that get you hooked or at least give you an idea of what he's all about? Sorry if this is the wrong place to be asking about this.

Looking at his discography where do you start? Through the band 90 Day Men I discovered his band De Facto which I rather enjoyed, I have mixed feelings about Mars Volta, each album to me gets just a little worse as you go along their discography, like not all that bad just not as good as the last one! He has a lot of work out there, is it a simple start from the beginning or is there an album or a run of albums that get you hooked or at least give you an idea of what he's all about? Sorry if this is the wrong place to be asking about this.
He's gone in a lot of different directions, so it really depends on what you're into. I had listened to a few over the years that I knew I liked, but also I've been streaming some to check them out to see if it's something I'll like or not. One perk is that they're very reasonably priced and I've mainly been waiting until I find one for $15 or there about before I pull the trigger. At that price I can be a little more exploratory.

Se Dice Bisonte, No Buffalo is one I enjoyed since it came out. Umbrella Mistress is one that I've come to love since getting it on wax recently. Don't think you could go wrong starting with either of those.

Back