Pop, Pop, Pop Culture - The SDCC August Spin Challenge!

Day 5: Hidden Track/Secret

Jack White
- Lazaretto

IMG_8834.jpeg

There are short hidden tracks embedded in the labels (or so I’ve seen, I haven’t tried to listen & I never will) as well as an alternate intro for side 2. It’s a shame that these, along with the other gimmicks of this record, led to the audio quality being non-existent…

Last edited:
Day 6: Play an album that makes you think or look at things differently
1000010817.jpg
Beastie Boys "Paul's Boutique"

There is music and sounds beyond James Brown! This record and De La Souls 3 Feet High opened my mind up to so much more music! They were different, it wasn't just a simple loop it was all sorts of loops and sounds and samples all thrown together and somehow working perfectly! It started me down the road to chasing samples, looking at liner notes more closely, trying to pick out sounds and find their sources. It showed me there's live beyond rap music and it wasn't just the hair metal all my friends were listening to or the stuff my parents liked! Mind you I came around to that stuff too but this was the door I walked through on my musical journey.

Day 6: Play an album that makes you think or look at things differently
View attachment 210529
Beastie Boys "Paul's Boutique"

There is music and sounds beyond James Brown! This record and De La Souls 3 Feet High opened my mind up to so much more music! They were different, it wasn't just a simple loop it was all sorts of loops and sounds and samples all thrown together and somehow working perfectly! It started me down the road to chasing samples, looking at liner notes more closely, trying to pick out sounds and find their sources. It showed me there's live beyond rap music and it wasn't just the hair metal all my friends were listening to or the stuff my parents liked! Mind you I came around to that stuff too but this was the door I walked through on my musical journey.
IMG_5465.jpeg

Day 6: Play an album that makes you think or look at things differently.

Dwight Yoakam - Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc., Etc.
IMG_6642.jpeg

Most of my life I hated country music or at least projected a hatred towards country. By the time I got to high school I had evolved a bit and had decided I hated all country except Johnny Cash and a little later it became I hate all country except for Cash and Willie Nelson but it was Dwight Yoakam’s Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc., Etc. That really broke the damn for me. This album was unabashedly country but the attitude that Yoakam brought to the Bakersfield Sound was pretty punk. After this album I went from hating country to loving it without any qualifiers or reservations.

I was 8 years old when Star Wars was released, and the soundtrack - the initial fanfare in particular - certainly is one of those core memories and one that made me realize the power of music in helping define characters and tell a story.

John Williams ~ Star Wars

IMG_0143.jpeg

Ryan Davis & The Roadhouse Band "Dancing On The Edge" (2023 Sophomore Lounge)
This was a difficult prompt to get my head around. Decided to go with this. I'm not a big fan of folk music, whether classic era or the new indie folk stuff. But there can be exceptions, and they tend to embrace americana and country sounds. This Ryan Davis record was a revelation for me. How this music could be made engaging to me, with long tracks too. This one just clicks.

IMG_1739.JPG

Ryan Davis & The Roadhouse Band "Dancing On The Edge" (2023 Sophomore Lounge)
This was a difficult prompt to get my head around. Decided to go with this. I'm not a big fan of folk music, whether classic era or the new indie folk stuff. But there can be exceptions, and they tend to embrace americana and country sounds. This Ryan Davis record was a revelation for me. How this music could be made engaging to me, with long tracks too. This one just clicks.

View attachment 210572
Love this album. @Wes C. Attle introduced me at the end of last year. If you enjoy this and haven’t done so already make sure you give The Silver Jews a shot Dave Berman and Ryan Davis are cut from the same cloth.

Day 4:
Play something with no words – be it a single track on an album, or a full album.

Took a few days off from playing...catching up.

Blood Incantation – Timewave Zero
Century Media – 19439949101, 2022

Cut by Martin Krafft at Optimal
Pressed at Optimal

wvsBVgY.jpg

xEnIJAa.jpg

Day 5:
Play something with a hidden track or secret embedded in the packaging.

I played this one earlier today but realized I was going out of order...so here it is now.

This release has 2 short tracks pressed into the label - surprisingly plays fairly well, but now my Q-Up needs a bit of tweaking.

The Dead Weather – Sea Of Cowards
Third Man Records – TMR 025, 2010

Cut by Wes Garland at Nashville Record Productions
Pressed at United Record Pressing

cYX1V7f.jpg

K1pWQs8.jpg

YDAovOw.jpg

Queen - II

When I was 14, I came back to the United States by myself for a couple months because I was having a really rough time. I was supposed to stay with my mom's sister, because she was as religious as my mom, but I ended up going and staying with her brother (who she did not talk to) for most of the trip. My uncle was a hard drinking, pot smoking, good time guy. His wife's sister had just gotten divorced from his best friend who was crashing at my uncle's house most nights partying with him. We sat around and I drank a lot of Jack Daniels and ginger ale with them while we sat in the hot tub and they educated me on music. One night, right after I turned 15, we went out to dinner and I drove home with the friend. He introduced me to this album (and their first) and we sat in the car and listened to both all the way through. It helped make my troubles melt away in the music. He gave me the cassette and I played it till it wore out that year. Things got worse when I went back to South America later that summer, but this album always helped give me a new perspective. Sitting in the car that night with Rob blasting Queen is one of my favorite memories of being a teenager.

Screenshot_2024-08-06-19-56-01-99_4a808d795e22c35ddff3ce3b406eb72d.jpg

Twilight: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack ~Various Artists

I have a dividing line of when I became the music fan I am now and when I was a casual in my mind. This is T H E album that is that dividing line. Without this soundtrack I wouldn't be here today. This was my white whale record for half my life. It's significance to who I am now cannot be understated in words. This album, mainly Decode and I Caught Myself, opened my ears to what music could be. I owe so much to this album. I had another one in mind, but I kept thinking on this one all day when I was ruminating on the prompt.

1722989484027.png

Day 6:
Play an album that makes you think or look at things differently.

I had heard of the Tulsa Race Massacre before the show, but didn't really know what was all involved. While I'm sure some of the show takes some artistic licence, but planes did drop firebombs onto black owned businesses and home.

With Critical Race Theory being fought all over the US, it is too bad this isn't something that is taught a bit more in schools. Most people that watched that first episode of the show didn't even know it was something that happened.

This release is made to appear to be a reissue of the album "The Book of Rorschach" by the fictional band Sons Of Pale Horse.

Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross – Watchmen: Vol. 01 (Music From The HBO Series)
The Null Corporation – NULL-10-V-1, 2019

Cut by Chris Bellman

pKCCE0X.jpg

Mu4P5dl.jpg

Day 7: Play something based on a folk tale or fairy tale
1000010834.jpg
Ice Cube "AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted"

Features the song A Gangsta's Fairytale which is a twist on a whole bunch of different fairytales. I always thought Ice Cube was a great story teller, sure the subject matter was and still is problematic but he's really great at painting a picture and putting you right in it! Damn day 7, it's almost over right? Are we there yet?

Back