Pre-Order Thread

Honest question, where is Thievery Corporation in people’s heads with respect to legacy? In my mind they’re one of the best acts to ever do it, but they remain one that is not often mentioned. Am I putting them on a pedestal they haven’t earned?

Maybe I need to give them another shot, I've got a few of their albums digitally, but I think it's been a decade or more since I've listened to them...

Honest question, where is Thievery Corporation in people’s heads with respect to legacy? In my mind they’re one of the best acts to ever do it, but they remain one that is not often mentioned. Am I putting them on a pedestal they haven’t earned?
If I’m being completely obtuse, my first thought was that they were an early 2000s emo band. I see I’ve liked 2 songs of theirs on Spotify (Sweet Tides, Lebanese Blonde) but have no memory of them.

Basically what I’m saying is, perhaps this is an example of why their reach hasn’t quite made it to best that’s ever done it territory. Gonna give them another proper listen tho.

this new kid into trainspotting has it correct:

They are fantastic and overlooked.

their albums are so, so wonderful and varied. Saudade and Temple of I & I are just love letters to the respective genres, and their other albums mix their other influences so well, often yoking in guests in. Fantastic live show, do not skip if at all possible to see 'em

Last edited:

their albums are so, so wonderful and varied. Saudade and Temple of I & I are just love letters to the respective genres, and their other albums mix their other influences so well, often yoking in guests in. Fantastic live show, do not skip if at all possible to see 'em
And they're going on tour this year. They'll be in my area in October the night after DJ Shadow.

Last edited:

Any thoughts on the 2022 reissue of Mirror Conspiracy? Looks like the US version was done at RTI but the Europe pressing is GZ. Being in Canada it could be either copy that is available here.

Any thoughts on the 2022 reissue of Mirror Conspiracy? Looks like the US version was done at RTI but the Europe pressing is GZ. Being in Canada it could be either copy that is available here.
haven't heard the reissue; i did pick up the anniversary reissue of saudade and i had the original so i was able to compare them. i kept the original and PIF'd the reissue, although in honesty I found no real difference between them. maybe the new one sounded punchier, more bassy. maybe. that could just as well have been bias on my part.

Because you thought Thievery Corp was an emo band?

View attachment 205394
Yes, but, my point is that I know they’re not, but they’re not big enough for me to immediately be like “oh yeah, Thievery Corporation is one of the most influential and great electronic groups.”

So yes, it’s a YP. But if you add up all the YPs, you get the answer to @Indymisanthrope ’s question of why they’re not talked about as much by the commoners.

They are fantastic and overlooked.

Yes, but, my point is that I know they’re not, but they’re not big enough for me to immediately be like “oh yeah, Thievery Corporation is one of the most influential and great electronic groups.”

So yes, it’s a YP. But if you add up all the YPs, you get the answer to @Indymisanthrope ’s question of why they’re not talked about as much by the commoners.
As a casual listener to electronic music, I sometimes found it difficult to ID a Theivery Corp tune because they used so many vocalists and had a lot of genre influences in their music. That genre diversity is likely what also garnered them fans and more dedicated listeners than me, but it's perhaps why some of their work isn't as immediately recognizable or as well known to less dedicated audiences/the general public.

Last edited:
Big fan, they were kind of pioneers of that down tempo / electronic movement. Also fantastic live act!

1717970581303.png

Back