The Blue Note Thread

Yeah, I have a handful that all sound great...for some reason my copy of Somethin' Else has a cover that looks like it was photocopied at a Kinko's backroom in 1997 so at the very least I can upgrade that. But agreed, I probably won't double dip with all of them, just going to start with this one and see the difference.
Somethin Else is probably the only title I have from DeAgostini that I'd feel the need to upgrade if I didn't already have a better copy. I gave my DeAgostini copy to my buddy since I have the AP45. There were rumors of it being a One Step at one point from MoFi but not sure that will actually happen.

I don't generally get lot's of issues of the same record, but this is one of my favourites. I ended up getting a few copies before eventually stumping up for the AP 45rpm version

I have a 1971 RVG, 1979 UK, 1982 French, a 2011 Ron McMaster (which weirdly has Alison's Uncle, but not noted on the label or sleeve), the DeAgostini, the Classic records 12" (fantastic sounding but with an annoying pop) & the AP version (not in the picture).

I have pre-ordered the KG & am very excited to have it & probably a month of comparison listening. I'm so happy that a fantastic pressing of this record will be widely available.

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 19.49.15.png

I don't generally get lot's of issues of the same record, but this is one of my favourites. I ended up getting a few copies before eventually stumping up for the AP 45rpm version

I have a 1971 RVG, 1979 UK, 1982 French, a 2011 Ron McMaster (which weirdly has Alison's Uncle, but not noted on the label or sleeve), the DeAgostini, the Classic records 12" (fantastic sounding but with an annoying pop) & the AP version (not in the picture).

I have pre-ordered the KG & am very excited to have it & probably a month of comparison listening. I'm so happy that a fantastic pressing of this record will be widely available.

View attachment 86505
And after listening to them all, you still prefer you 128kbps version on your ipod shuffle mini. :p

And after listening to them all, you still prefer you 128kbps version on your ipod shuffle mini. :p
well the old MFSL is not bad when you have to go digital :D but it doesn't breath like vinyl. I don't care much for the KG/SH SACD tbh. DCC Know What I Mean is good too.

Last edited:

View attachment 86505
I have that weird alt album cover version too. It sounds not bad actually but the cover just really bothers me.

Street Of Dreams was done by MM, so TP won't be releasing that one.
Mike has a good point, I see Sidewinder is scheduled for June reprint now.

I was really hoping to see Street of Dreams on that TP list, but perhaps it will make the 80th or I might try the 75th for the hell of it.

Also hoping we see Horace Parlan and The Three Sounds soon.

Anyone else preorder Somethin' Else ?, so looking forward to the Intro Autumn Leaves on my table in a few weeks.

TX @mdmost for the tip on Face to Face, funny I did not get the BN email this week for it. Still with shipping at tax it's still over $36,

To be honest, I find the list mixed at best, and somewhat disappointing.

March 12, 2021

• Charles Lloyd & The Marvels – Tone Poem (Blue Note, 2021) *mastered directly from the original 24/96 digital files* OK, but not really a Tone Poet.
May 7, 2021

• Dexter Gordon – One Flight Up (Blue Note, 1964)
  • Andrew Hill – Passing Ships (Blue Note, 1969) Two great titles. Instant buy. The old Cisco One Flight Up is a shit remastering.
June 4, 2021

• Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – The Witch Doctor (Blue Note, 1961)
  • Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton – Katanga! (Pacific Jazz, 1963) Another two winners. Witch Doctor may not be essential, but it is way better than Just Coolin and Katanga is an inspired choice.
July 9, 2021

• Sonny Clark – My Conception (Blue Note, 1959) A maybe. This one sat on the shelf for a reason. OK, but not top flight.
  • McCoy Tyner – Expansions (Blue Note, 1968) A classic. Spot on.
August 6, 2021

• Lee Konitz & Gerry Mulligan – Lee Konitz Plays With The Gerry Mulligan Quartet (Pacific Jazz, 1953) Rocking chair snooze. Great players, but dated to me. Pass.
  • Wayne Shorter – The All Seeing Eye (Blue Note, 1965) Challenging but great. Hit.
September 10, 2021

• Joe Pass – For Django (Pacific Jazz, 1964) Not my bag.
  • Stanley Turrentine – Rough ‘N Tumble (Blue Note, 1966) OK, but not top Turrentine. Easy Walker or The Spoiler would be better. I will buy it though.
October 8, 2021

• Sonny Red – Out of the Blue (Blue Note, 1959-60) The Classic mono pressing is all I need.
  • Grant Green – The Latin Bit (Blue Note, 1962) Always found this to be Kon-Tiki bar style stuff. Pass.
November 5, 2021

• Hank Mobley – Curtain Call (Blue Note, 1957) A weak session, particularly when so many better ones could have been chosen. Alfred left this on the shelf for good reason.
  • Jackie McLean – Tippin’ The Scales (Blue Note, 1962) Another weak one, from Jackie's early Blue Note period when everything was pretty straight ahead. Why do this one when the great Let Freedom Ring hasn't been reissued on vinyl, like, ever?
December 3, 2021

• Gerald Wilson – Moment of Truth (Pacific Jazz, 1962) A maybe for me, but I acknowledge as an interesting choice.
  • Freddie Hubbard – Breaking Point! (Blue Note, 1964) A great session, but MMJ never did it because the recording isn't RVG's best. Still, I will buy it, it probably sounds a bit better than my Toshiba pressing.
January 7, 2022

• Kenny Burrell – Kenny Burrell (Blue Note, 1956) Nah. Not for me.
  • Grant Green – Feelin’ The Spirit (Blue Note, 1962) It's a good record, but I'm not a fan of jazz guitar generally (but give me George Benson, Eric Gale, Sonny Sharrock etc. anytime) - BN is playing to the demographic here, Green seems to be to the TP what Stax is to Storf.
February 4, 2022

• Harold Vick – Steppin’ Out (Blue Note, 1963) Killer.
  • Bobby Hutcherson – Stick Up! (Blue Note, 1966) A great session, but a poor recording. Even my original pressing doesn't sound great. Why not do some later records, like the awesome San Francisco?
March 4, 2022

• Chet Baker & Art Pepper – Picture of Heath (Pacific Jazz, 1956) Art Pepper was a WAY more interesting player in the 70's.
  • Blue Mitchell – Bring It Home To Me (Blue Note, 1966) OK, but not a great record. There are way more deserving records, but I will probably buy it. A safe choice, but not an exciting one.
April 1, 2022

• Donald Byrd – At The Half Note Cafe, Vol. 1 (Blue Note, 1960) This is a great record, but why not do both volumes together as a double set? Just one standing alone makes no sense.
  • ScoLoHoFo (Scofield-Lovano-Holland-Foster) – Oh! (Blue Note, 2002) The obligatory, inoffensive digital TP.
I was happy to see The All Seeing Eye, Expansions and Katanga, surprised to see Witch Doctor and Steppin Out, and very disappointed that the great Demon's Dance was dropped for the second time.

Last edited:
To be honest, I find the list mixed at best, and somewhat disappointing.

March 12, 2021

• Charles Lloyd & The Marvels – Tone Poem (Blue Note, 2021) *mastered directly from the original 24/96 digital files* OK, but not really a Tone Poet.
May 7, 2021

• Dexter Gordon – One Flight Up (Blue Note, 1964)
  • Andrew Hill – Passing Ships (Blue Note, 1969) Two great titles. Instant buy. The old Cisco One Flight Up is a shit remastering.
June 4, 2021

• Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – The Witch Doctor (Blue Note, 1961)
  • Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton – Katanga! (Pacific Jazz, 1963) Another two winners. Witch Doctor may not be essential, but it is way better than Just Coolin and Katanga is an inspired choice.
July 9, 2021

• Sonny Clark – My Conception (Blue Note, 1959) A maybe. This one sat on the shelf for a reason. OK, but not top flight.
  • McCoy Tyner – Expansions (Blue Note, 1968) A classic. Spot on.
August 6, 2021

• Lee Konitz & Gerry Mulligan – Lee Konitz Plays With The Gerry Mulligan Quartet (Pacific Jazz, 1953) Rocking chair snooze. Great players, but dated to me. Pass.
  • Wayne Shorter – The All Seeing Eye (Blue Note, 1965) Challenging but great. Hit.
September 10, 2021

• Joe Pass – For Django (Pacific Jazz, 1964) Not my bag.
  • Stanley Turrentine – Rough ‘N Tumble (Blue Note, 1966) OK, but not top Turrentine. Easy Walker or The Spoiler would be better. I will buy it though.
October 8, 2021

• Sonny Red – Out of the Blue (Blue Note, 1959-60) The Classic mono pressing is all I need.
  • Grant Green – The Latin Bit (Blue Note, 1962) Always found this to be Kon-Tiki bar style stuff. Pass.
November 5, 2021

• Hank Mobley – Curtain Call (Blue Note, 1957) A weak session, particularly when so many better ones could have been chosen. Alfred left this on the shelf for good reason.
  • Jackie McLean – Tippin’ The Scales (Blue Note, 1962) Another weak one, from Jackie's early Blue Note period when everything was pretty straight ahead. Why do this one when the great Let Freedom Ring hasn't been reissued on vinyl, like, ever?
December 3, 2021

• Gerald Wilson – Moment of Truth (Pacific Jazz, 1962) A maybe for me, but I acknowledge as an interesting choice.
  • Freddie Hubbard – Breaking Point! (Blue Note, 1964) A great session, but MMJ never did it because the recording isn't RVG's best. Still, I will buy it, it probably sounds a bit better than my Toshiba pressing.
January 7, 2022

• Kenny Burrell – Kenny Burrell (Blue Note, 1956) Nah. Not for me.
  • Grant Green – Feelin’ The Spirit (Blue Note, 1962) It's a good record, but I'm not a fan of jazz guitar generally (but give me George Benson, Eric Gale, Sonny Sharrock etc. anytime) - BN is playing to the demographic here, Green seems to be to the TP what Stax is to Storf.
February 4, 2022

• Harold Vick – Steppin’ Out (Blue Note, 1963) Killer.
  • Bobby Hutcherson – Stick Up! (Blue Note, 1966) A great session, but a poor recording. Even my original pressing doesn't sound great. Why not do some later records, like the awesome San Francisco?
March 4, 2022

• Chet Baker & Art Pepper – Picture of Heath (Pacific Jazz, 1956) Art Pepper was a WAY more interesting player in the 70's.
  • Blue Mitchell – Bring It Home To Me (Blue Note, 1966) OK, but not a great record. There are way more deserving records, but I will probably buy it. A safe choice, but not an exciting one.
April 1, 2022

• Donald Byrd – At The Half Note Cafe, Vol. 1 (Blue Note, 1960) This is a great record, but why not do both volumes together as a double set? Just one standing alone makes no sense.
  • ScoLoHoFo (Scofield-Lovano-Holland-Foster) – Oh! (Blue Note, 2002) The obligatory, inoffensive digital TP.
I was happy to see The All Seeing Eye, xpansions and Katanga, surprised to see Witch Doctor and Steppin Out, and very disappointed that the great Demon's dance was dropped for the second time.
I’m kind of with you on this. Some killer titles and some lesser titles. I’ll probably end up getting most though. The real head scratcher is the November 5 drop. So many better titles from both artists that would have still fit the Tone Poet description. I would have loved to see a later Hank Mobley session like A Slice on Top or Thinking of Home, and definitely something like Let Freedom Ring or Demon Dance from Jackie McLean. I can only hope they will be released at some time in the near future.

I’m kind of with you on this. Some killer titles and some lesser titles. I’ll probably end up getting most though. The real head scratcher is the November 5 drop. So many better titles from both artists that would have still fit the Tone Poet description. I would have loved to see a later Hank Mobley session like A Slice on Top or Thinking of Home, and definitely something like Let Freedom Ring or Demon Dance from Jackie McLean. I can only hope they will be released at some time in the near future.
Maybe their decisions have the long-haul in mind. If they thought it would be common that folks would buy every Tone Poet title, perhaps they'd offer a subscription. Otherwise, their goal should be to keep buyers generally happy and looking forward to what's coming next.

Maybe their decisions have the long-haul in mind. If they thought it would be common that folks would buy every Tone Poet title, perhaps they'd offer a subscription. Otherwise, their goal should be to keep buyers generally happy and looking forward to what's coming next.
I really do think this series will run until Joe Harley and Kevin Gray get tired of it and I don’t see that happening any time soon. It’s one of the most acclaimed reissue series in recent memory and I think everyone is happy with it so far. I’m just greedily mad that I’m not getting tone poet reissues of some albums I want 😆

I don't mind some holes or stuff I will not get, that leaves more room other things I want and supporting the local bins.

Is BN Classics and BN80 the same thing ? Just so I have my terminology correct.
They were announced as different things, perhaps because the 80th anniversary has come and gone, but I believe mastering and pressing plant wise, they are the same. So I think you could say the Classic is a continuation, but with more focus on heavy hitters. The Sidewinder was the first in the BN Classic series.

Subscription models are tough to execute, and don't work at all with record labels. It requires a higher level of customer interactivity and specific inventory management, as you have to keep stock for those who enter into a subscription part way through, which creates logistics issues for a label. Easy enough to do for a mom & pop (or just a pop, like MMJ) but even Acoustic Sounds wouldn't do it anymore.
Kind of defeats the purpose of TP anyways.

Back