The Blue Note Thread

I know Demon Dance was teased from Harley, Maybe n the next round. Not a lot on there for me either, probably pick up a few, But that's all right, I've only bought about 10 so far, not really interested in a lot of them . Good to have a good variety out and some lesser known titles.
I’m kind of with you on this. Some killer titles and some lesser titles. I’ll probably end up getting most though. The real head scratcher is the November 5 drop. So many better titles from both artists that would have still fit the Tone Poet description. I would have loved to see a later Hank Mobley session like A Slice on Top or Thinking of Home, and definitely something like Let Freedom Ring or Demon Dance from Jackie McLean. I can only hope they will be released at some time in the near future.

There are no details right now, but someone with insider knowledge on SHF is hinting there will be some sort of reissue of more avant BN titles in the near future. I really hope this is a) true and b) an ongoing series. Ornette/Cecil/Moncur/Hill/Cherry/Rivers/McLean/Tyrone Washington/Larry Young/etc etc...I’d sign up for that.

I am happy with this list. There are some must-have and others that I still need to listen first (but don't get me wrong, I'll probably end buying each and every TP release). I see this serie existing for a while (at least I hope) so I understand the mix @RHANDMJ pointed. Thing is that if BN releases all the killers right now, people will lose interest and stop buying. With a killer every month (average), they know they will keep selling and it will help them to release more and more records.

So 2021 starts well and I can't wait to see what others Classics they will release after July.

2021 to 2022 Tone Poet titles announced! http://www.bluenote.com/2021-2022-tone-poet-vinyl-series-line-up/

March 12, 2021

• Charles Lloyd & The Marvels – Tone Poem (Blue Note, 2021) *mastered directly from the original 24/96 digital files*
May 7, 2021

June 4, 2021

• Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – The Witch Doctor (Blue Note, 1961)
  • Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton – Katanga! (Pacific Jazz, 1963)
July 9, 2021

• Sonny Clark – My Conception (Blue Note, 1959)
  • McCoy Tyner – Expansions (Blue Note, 1968)
August 6, 2021

• Lee Konitz & Gerry Mulligan – Lee Konitz Plays With The Gerry Mulligan Quartet (Pacific Jazz, 1953)
  • Wayne Shorter – The All Seeing Eye (Blue Note, 1965)
September 10, 2021

• Joe Pass – For Django (Pacific Jazz, 1964)
  • Stanley Turrentine – Rough ‘N Tumble (Blue Note, 1966)
October 8, 2021

• Sonny Red – Out of the Blue (Blue Note, 1959-60)
  • Grant Green – The Latin Bit (Blue Note, 1962)
November 5, 2021

• Hank Mobley – Curtain Call (Blue Note, 1957)
  • Jackie McLean – Tippin’ The Scales (Blue Note, 1962)
December 3, 2021

• Gerald Wilson – Moment of Truth (Pacific Jazz, 1962)
  • Freddie Hubbard – Breaking Point! (Blue Note, 1964)
January 7, 2022

• Kenny Burrell – Kenny Burrell (Blue Note, 1956)
  • Grant Green – Feelin’ The Spirit (Blue Note, 1962)
February 4, 2022

• Harold Vick – Steppin’ Out (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Bobby Hutcherson – Stick Up! (Blue Note, 1966)
March 4, 2022

• Chet Baker & Art Pepper – Picture of Heath (Pacific Jazz, 1956)
  • Blue Mitchell – Bring It Home To Me (Blue Note, 1966)
April 1, 2022

• Donald Byrd – At The Half Note Cafe, Vol. 1 (Blue Note, 1960)
  • ScoLoHoFo (Scofield-Lovano-Holland-Foster) – Oh! (Blue Note, 2002)

What a list :love: I think I see more titles that are up my alley than last year and considering how many I ended up buying last year, that's saying something 😅😂.

Definitely in for:
  • Dexter Gordon – One Flight Up (Blue Note, 1964)
Probably the only reason the list isn't longer is because I haven't heard most of the rest yet 😅

What a list :love: I think I see more titles that are up my alley than last year and considering how many I ended up buying last year, that's saying something 😅😂.

Definitely in for:
  • Dexter Gordon – One Flight Up (Blue Note, 1964)
Probably the only reason the list isn't longer is because I haven't heard most of the rest yet 😅
Don't pass up on the All Seeing Eye -- it's one of my favorites of Shorter and is just an amazing piece of composition. I'm always surprised when it doesn't figure higher in reviews of his work. (now, hey, I could be totally wrong and am no expert.... but holy cow, that record)

I agree with the last few opinions in regards to the 2021 TP list: I find it somewhat underwhelming.

I will definitely pick up Hill, Shorter and Tyner, and may dip on other 2-3 titles, but that's it for me. That's not entirely bad, considering the amount of Classic titles I plan on buying. My wallet sure is thankful that the TP list doesn't include more must-grabs.

My wallet is going to hurt. A lot.

Hopefully they can get around, at some point, to doing something about the quality of the releases from Blue Note 75. These BN80's are superior, but I really liked a lot of the titles from BN75.

interesting to note this ones pressed at Furnace. Same as the VMP Ambrose which was different from Blue Note's pressings.
Blue Note store has their presumably regular variant shipping in April; VMP all the way in May, and that's if there are no delays.

That said, I do want this album on vinyl. Named #1 jazz album of 2020 by NYT (Best Jazz Albums of 2020)

Blue Note store has their presumably regular variant shipping in April; VMP all the way in May, and that's if there are no delays.

That said, I do want this album on vinyl. Named #1 jazz album of 2020 by NYT (Best Jazz Albums of 2020)
Yea--I ended up with the VMP Ambrose and then bought a regular pressing from BN since it was signed. They are pressed at different places but I haven't done an A/B comparison to see if one sounds better than the other. I just remember it being strange that VMP pressed theirs elsewhere.

interesting to note this ones pressed at Furnace. Same as the VMP Ambrose which was different from Blue Note's pressings.

Tinaa'd - I regret sleeping on the Ambrose VMP version. I thought I'd wait for the standard version.

edit - I heard the VMP version at furnace sounded great. It would be good if you can do an A/B test?

Tinaa'd - I regret sleeping on the Ambrose VMP version. I thought I'd wait for the standard version.

edit - I heard the VMP version at furnace sounded great. It would be good if you can do an A/B test?
I’ll see if I can this weekend. The VMP Ambrose definitely sounded great to me though so I wouldn’t be worried about it!

Technically not a Blue Notes release but....

eYaoK9bl.jpg

Was finally able to get a reasonably priced and good condition copy.

Back