The Blue Note Thread

I’ve had my eye on that Ike one!
Both of them are fantastic. I really like the 45 recordings, they were originally never released as full LP's so it's great to be able to dig into them.

woof, I think the next one for me will be that Black Lion Thelonious one. The rest I've added to my wantlist are all into the $400+ so those are in the very distant future purchases.
Ah I missed out on that one a while ago, looks to be a great set for sure! They really have been jumping up in value lately. Took me ages to find the Tina Brooks at a decnet price.

Edit: Had a brain fart on this on @wenis and thought you meant the Monk At The It Club (I always think of that as the one with the plain black cover art). The Black Lion/Vogue release is well worth getting, Monk really was a master.

Last edited:
There are no details right now, but someone with insider knowledge on SHF is hinting there will be some sort of reissue of more avant BN titles in the near future. I really hope this is a) true and b) an ongoing series. Ornette/Cecil/Moncur/Hill/Cherry/Rivers/McLean/Tyrone Washington/Larry Young/etc etc...I’d sign up for that.

so a reissue BN Avant line done by Kevin ? Interesting! although I'm not sure of the demand. Monchur is fairly accessible and would be nice!

Btw, any chatter from Hoffman he might get involved in some of these or is he busy enough or is this Kevin's baby ?

Last edited:
I am happy with this list. There are some must-have and others that I still need to listen first (but don't get me wrong, I'll probably end buying each and every TP release). I see this serie existing for a while (at least I hope) so I understand the mix @RHANDMJ pointed. Thing is that if BN releases all the killers right now, people will lose interest and stop buying. With a killer every month (average), they know they will keep selling and it will help them to release more and more records.

So 2021 starts well and I can't wait to see what others Classics they will release after July.

same here, plenty to keep me busy the next year plus, but not overwhelm the budget and keep me away from other things I want (BN Classics like the upcoming Cannonball, Blakey, Burrell, etc) and my local shop. I mean One Flight Up is a BN anthem by itself, Stick Up great, Katanga & Steppin Out underrated gems, and a few I need to contemplate and research I am a bit more unfamiliar with like the Joe Pass, Clark (have the cd), Mobley, Turrentine, Hubbard, Mitchell, etc

Last edited:
There are no details right now, but someone with insider knowledge on SHF is hinting there will be some sort of reissue of more avant BN titles in the near future. I really hope this is a) true and b) an ongoing series. Ornette/Cecil/Moncur/Hill/Cherry/Rivers/McLean/Tyrone Washington/Larry Young/etc etc...I’d sign up for that.
Where'd ya see this? All I saw from Scotti (if that's who you are talking about) was he said "wait until you see what's up next!" and then someone else just listed some titles for Scotti to mention to Joe...

Don't pass up on the All Seeing Eye -- it's one of my favorites of Shorter and is just an amazing piece of composition. I'm always surprised when it doesn't figure higher in reviews of his work. (now, hey, I could be totally wrong and am no expert.... but holy cow, that record)
Have to admit I've never really listened to it front to back, so need to do that before I pass judgement on it. But have high expectations with all the praise it gets here on the forum.

so a reissue BN Avant line done by Kevin ? Interesting! although I'm not sure of the demand. Monchur is fairly accessible and would be nice!

Btw, any chatter from Hoffman he might get involved in some of these or is he busy enough or is this Kevin's baby ?
LOL - Hoffman busy? Nobody hires Hoffman anymore. When AF shut his trickle came to an end. He was a train wreck on the few MMJ 45's he participated in.

Moncur did not sell well at all for MMJ, so I would guess there would be hesitation there. But I would be all in for an avant series.

However, the most glaring omission by both MMJ and TP is the BN 1970's. There is some stone cold gold in there, along with a fair bit of cheese and dreck, but for some reason no one wants to go there.

Where'd ya see this? All I saw from Scotti (if that's who you are talking about) was he said "wait until you see what's up next!" and then someone else just listed some titles for Scotti to mention to Joe...
Yeah I’m probably spreading misinformation by posting stuff like this, but someone was complaining that the TP 2021 list doesn’t have any Ornette, Larry Young, or Tony Williams and user Gabe Walters said “Patience will be rewarded.” He’s mentioned a few times he’s aware of something he can’t spill details on yet.

My previous post is all speculation (/wishful thinking)...maybe I’m extrapolating too much from his hints. But hopefully not!

Did it get posted here?

LOL - Hoffman busy? Nobody hires Hoffman anymore. When AF shut his trickle came to an end. He was a train wreck on the few MMJ 45's he participated in.

Moncur did not sell well at all for MMJ, so I would guess there would be hesitation there. But I would be all in for an avant series.

However, the most glaring omission by both MMJ and TP is the BN 1970's. There is some stone cold gold in there, along with a fair bit of cheese and dreck, but for some reason no one wants to go there.
Donald Byrd’s Electric Bird would be an awesome Tone Poet. I’ve always liked the cover art.

Back