The Blue Note Thread

Mine just came in as well

View attachment 87876

First listen of BN Classic Somethin' Else I would say it's a good pressing for just over $20. Kevin likes sizzle and emphasis on his cymbals up front in the mix, and when your remastering albums with Elvin or Blakey I'm sure this is warranted to many. Will be interested in hearing what others think who have heard other pressings of this one.

As for QC, this came from Amz preorder, in a album mailer box. Left corner on cover has a small mark and the album is not completely flat but should be fine, it was quite dusty.

Last edited:
First listen of Somethin' Else I would say it's a good pressing for just over $20. Kevin likes sizzle and emphasis on his cymbals up front, and when your remastering albums with Elvin or Blakey I'm sure this is warranted to many. Will be interested in hearing what others think who have heard other pressings of this one.

As for QC, this came from Amz preorder, in a album mailer box. Left corner on cover has a small mark and the album was quite dusty.

I'm sure it's pretty great. I've given it a quick spin, sounds really dynamic, but they both really need a clean, bits of paper sleeve turning up everywhere :)

I think that was the original release date so they may not have updated it yet

Amz has preorder due on 3/9 now so just maybe that one makes it out.

btw, I spoke to a couple local shops about these and they were not really interested in ordering them in. Perhaps they are were worried about the junkie non Capitol bn pressings they still have sitting in there store, that's my guess, and there fault (they should be able to be sent back to the distributor for credit) but there not big jazz shops either.

Last edited:
btw, I spoke to a couple local shops about these and they were not really interested in ordering them in. Perhaps they are were worried about the junkie non Capitol bn pressings they still have sitting in there store, that's my guess, and there fault (they should be able to be sent back to the distributor for credit) but there not big jazz shops either.
This is interesting bc it would be simple for a local shop to see how different the current releases are from those earlier ones they're sitting on. Mike @ The In Groove is as public and transparent as one could be about his get enough of most of these releases and keep them in stock. He mentions it virtually every week.

I'm sure it's pretty great. I've given it a quick spin, sounds really dynamic, but they both really need a clean, bits of paper sleeve turning up everywhere :)
My copy came via amazon too (in a record mailer and a bag!) and had no damage or even dust on the LP. Just gave it a full listen and it sounds great -- though my previous versions were the BN 75 and the 80s DMM so not too hard to beat. If you would have told me Blue Note would put out this HQ of a pressing for $23 a year ago, I would not have believed you. Very very pleased.

This is interesting bc it would be simple for a local shop to see how different the current releases are from those earlier ones they're sitting on. Mike @ The In Groove is as public and transparent as one could be about his get enough of most of these releases and keep them in stock. He mentions it virtually every week.

I would really like to support a shop like his, I enjoy his videos too, but most of the things I wanted were sold out or NA, and shipping cross country stinks right now. But I should drop him a line soon but i don't want to step on his local and regular customers either.

Last edited:
I would really like to support a shop like his, I enjoy his videos too, but most of the things I wanted were sold out or NA, and shipping cross country stinks right now. But I should drop him a line soon but i don't want to step on his local and regular customers either.
I understand those concerns. FWIW, my guess is that, for the AAA/audiophile stuff, online sales are 75% of his biz, if not more. His Youtube channel has almost 20k subscribers, and his new release vid from yesterday has 7k views already. Both unbelievable numbers for a regular joe with one retail door. By comparison, Toad Hall, which also does a good job w/ the audiophile audience, has 1,700 subscribers.

The BN75’s can sound pretty good. My Dexter Gordon GO! sounds great to me, even if it is from a digital source. Would it stand up to an earlier press or a MM press? Absolutely not. But does it get the job done as a casual fan? For sure!

If those are albums that you casually enjoy and can’t be bothered to cough up dough for an expensive pressing, then I would say to take a shot! The big issue with the 75s is quality control, a lot of noisy, distorted, and banged up sealed copies are out there.
For the BN75’s I think it’s more a matter of the quality control vs the mastering. I had Go and Speak No Evil and they were probably the two worst sounding records in my collection. I gave them away and am quite pleased with the upgrades I’ve replaced them with.

For the BN75’s I think it’s more a matter of the quality control vs the mastering. I had Go and Speak No Evil and they were probably the two worst sounding records in my collection. I gave them away and am quite pleased with the upgrades I’ve replaced them with.

My digital copy of Street of Dreams (gulp), no matter how hard it is to say ain't to bad. For now anyways :)

First listen of BN Classic Somethin' Else I would say it's a good pressing for just over $20. Kevin likes sizzle and emphasis on his cymbals up front in the mix, and when your remastering albums with Elvin or Blakey I'm sure this is warranted to many. Will be interested in hearing what others think who have heard other pressings of this one.

As for QC, this came from Amz preorder, in a album mailer box. Left corner on cover has a small mark and the album is not completely flat but should be fine, it was quite dusty.
This new BN Classics of Somethin' Else sounds wonderful. I also have the AP 2xLP @45rpm from 2008. Haven't A/Bed them, but I'm extremely pleased with this new 33 rpm pressing. Dead silent vinyl. Well balanced mix, Cannonball pops nicely, and crispy cymbals. It's wonderful.

My digital copy of Street of Dreams (gulp), no matter how hard it is to say ain't to bad. For now anyways :)

I have Go!, No Room for Squares, Idle Moments, and Spontaneous Inventions of the BN75 releases, all from 2014. They're ok if you don't mind a bit of surface noise and don't need something really dynamic-sounding. They all were pretty dirty when I opened them and had visible marks on the surface of the LPs, but they were playable after a cleaning. I think they're fine if you really want to own it on vinyl, and have the cover art to display and are ok with a product that doesn't sound quite as crisp and clean as a spotify stream. But the BN80 and Tone Poets I've heard are all clearly superior products.

I also have a Blue Note press from 2016 of Big John Patton's "Let 'Em Roll." It came with that blue printed 75th anniversary inner sleeve that shows a bunch of the releases (including the 4 I have that I listed above), but not "Let 'Em Roll." I didn't notice as much surface noise with it though. Is there an official list somewhere of the BN75 releases? Were they all released in 2014, or could this release in 2016 be under that same umbrella? I don't think it had the big BN75 hype sticker, but it threw me off that it had the BN75 inner sleeve, but maybe they just used those in later releases to advertise those anniversary pressings?

This new BN Classics of Somethin' Else sounds wonderful. I also have the AP 2xLP @45rpm from 2008. Haven't A/Bed them, but I'm extremely pleased with this new 33 rpm pressing. Dead silent vinyl. Well balanced mix, Cannonball pops nicely, and crispy cymbals. It's wonderful.

After a wash on the record cleaner mine is playing really nice, I must of got a copy with a lot of gunk. Really enjoyed it 3rd listen tonight. I'm lucky to have heard the Classic Records pressing, that's still my favorite for it's warmth, but this one is fine now.

"Is that what you wanted Alfred" ;)

Last edited:
Back