The Blue Note Thread

How does it work? I add 3 box sets to the basket then remove 2? I tried that but it removed the discount?

Edit: @Andy im also going to see how much it would be to the UK. With the discount it might still be worth it

I definitely think it would be worth it, but as far I can see they will only ship to the US & Canada. If you find a solution that works, let me know.

You have to actually order all 3. Then you go into your orders and cancel what you don’t want. I didn’t think they shipped to the UK but maybe you have a workaround?

keep in mind: you will get a hold placed on your CC for the amount. And it will renew every 30 days until the preorder ships so make sure you use a credit card that doesn’t expire soon or your order will get cancelled

I definitely think it would be worth it, but as far I can see they will only ship to the US & Canada. If you find a solution that works, let me know.
I spoke too soon and cant find a UK shipping either. Shame as its a hell of a deal!

For those of you in the US, that Lee Morgan lighthouse box set appears to be included in this week’s Target sale...

Comes out to around 190 shipped, down from $289 if you do the cancellation trick

I was a hard pass but now apparently I need this

I spoke too soon and cant find a UK shipping either. Shame as its a hell of a deal!
Yea--I think the only way to do it is either have someone in the US buy it and post it to you or get some sort of middleman delivery service. I know a lot of people use some of those middleman services to get stuff shipped abroad. I didn't realize until recently that Target doesn't ship abroad from the US. I think there are Targets overseas though but never have the same deals.

Glad it worked for ya! I ordered a bunch of things this morning and was hoping the cancellation trick still worked and it does!
yes -- now I just have to check my email every day for the next 3 months to make sure I catch Target's "approve this delay note"
I was a hard pass but now apparently I need this
Welcome friend. Welcome

Talk about a great line-up

We’re proud to present the Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissue Series, a continuation of our acclaimed Blue Note 80 Vinyl Reissue Series which was launched in celebration of our 80th anniversary in 2019. The Classic Series will once again feature all-analog 180g vinyl pressings in standard packaging that are mastered by Kevin Gray directly from the original master tapes and manufactured at Optimal in Germany.

Classic Vinyl Reissue Series – Release Schedule:

December 4, 2020

January 15, 2020
  • Horace Silver – Song for My Father
  • Wayne Shorter – Speak No Evil
February 12, 2020
  • Cannonball Adderley – Somethin’ Else
  • Joe Henderson – Page One
March 12, 2021
  • Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Moanin’
  • Hank Mobley – Soul Station
April 9, 2021
  • Sonny Clark – Cool Struttin’
  • Jimmy Smith – Back At The Chicken Shack
May 14, 2021
  • Dexter Gordon – GO!
  • Eric Dolphy – Out To Lunch
June 11, 2021
  • Grant Green – Idle Moments
  • Kenny Burrell – Midnight Blue
July 9, 2021
  • Freddie Hubbard – Ready for Freddie
  • Herbie Hancock – Maiden Voyage
Just noticed on BN's site that all of the release dates after the Feb releases have been changed to "TBA"

Just noticed on BN's site that all of the release dates after the Feb releases have been changed to "TBA"
yeah, I was on the fence with the Joe Henderson (mainly to slow down my spending) but decided to grab it as now we have no idea when the next releases will be coming out.

Got a shipping notice for Somethin' Else & Page One. It's Coming through Royal Mail though, so might still not get it this week.

I have BN Classic Somethin' Else on amz pre-order, it is scheduled to arrive this Friday on release day.

I also put One Flight Up TP on amz pre-order (May) as well. I have not seen Moanin', Katanga, or Midnight Blue on pre order yet.

Last edited:
Just noticed that the BN Classics page no longer has dates for the series after the next round (Somethin' Else and Page One) and I haven't seen pre-orders anywhere. Safe to assume COVID-19 delays and that they likely won't make March for the next set?

Yeah, assuming it's a long shot. Delays are pretty common with Tone Poet too so no worries on my part, allows me some time to catch up on the titles so far.

I know the BN 75 reissues are generally looked down on mostly, I was thinking of taking shot on Street of Dreams and Let Em' Roll to get a vinyl fix from them, anyone tried these 2 ? or is better wating for a affordable copy or BN Classic reissue one day ?

I know the BN 75 reissues are generally looked down on mostly, I was thinking of taking shot on Street of Dreams and Let Em' Roll to get a vinyl fix from them, anyone tried these 2 ? or is better wating for a affordable copy or BN Classic reissue one day ?
The BN75’s can sound pretty good. My Dexter Gordon GO! sounds great to me, even if it is from a digital source. Would it stand up to an earlier press or a MM press? Absolutely not. But does it get the job done as a casual fan? For sure!

If those are albums that you casually enjoy and can’t be bothered to cough up dough for an expensive pressing, then I would say to take a shot! The big issue with the 75s is quality control, a lot of noisy, distorted, and banged up sealed copies are out there.

why does the digitally produced (its not like the preformed the album on tape to have kevin gray master it) 2LP that is claiming to be the first "modern tone poet" costs 10 bucks more than a tone poet than the other CD based 2 LP tone poet

why does the digitally produced (its not like the preformed the album on tape to have kevin gray master it) 2LP that is claiming to be the first "modern tone poet" costs 10 bucks more than a tone poet than the other CD based 2 LP tone poet
Isn’t all their TP 2 LP priced the same ($49.99)? That was my impression.
Edit: Andrew Hill is cheaper but the Scofield is priced similarly. Yeah go figure.

Back