The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

All I really care about is using the phones with an app to select the music. I’ll have the Wimm connected with an Ethernet cable to get the data. Or am I missing something?

As Lee said neither Apple or Qobuz do a connect feature in their own app. You're relying on airplay which is limited to cd.

For qobuz you can get around it by logging onto qobuz on the wiim app on your phone and selecting the music from within it. Similar can be done within the roon app as the wiim can operate as a roon endpoint. Overkill for just streaming though.

For Apple Music the only way around it is to have an android touchscreen streamer like the eversolo or the fiio which has the app on it and you use its own touchscreen to control it natively.

As I mentioned in another thread, I’ll be moving late summer and am eyeing the upcoming Wiim Ultra.

Looking for advice on streaming services. I need bit perfect and ease of use with both Apple and Android devices.
I don't know if Volumio fits your needs, but might be worth a look. I use the free download with a Raspberry Pi and very much like it. They also make dedicated hardware as well if you don't like fiddling with a Pi.

All I really care about is using the phones with an app to select the music. I’ll have the Wimm connected with an Ethernet cable to get the data. Or am I missing something?
I think everyone is going a little ahead of things. Let's take it a step back.

Question 1: What are your streaming sources? Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, a personal server, Roon, etc? Define those first.
Question 2: Which type of devices will you use to control streaming? Apple, Android, Computer?
Question 3: Are you willing to learn a new app? (This can be largely sidestepped if you are exclusively using Tidal or Spotify)
Question 4: Do you have the option for a hardwire ethernet, or do you need to connect via Wifi? You already answered this, but it's an important question if anyone else sees this list.

Answer those and it makes thing a lot easier.

I think everyone is going a little ahead of things. Let's take it a step back.

Question 1: What are your streaming sources? Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, a personal server, Roon, etc? Define those first.
Question 2: Which type of devices will you use to control streaming? Apple, Android, Computer?
Question 3: Are you willing to learn a new app? (This can be largely sidestepped if you are exclusively using Tidal or Spotify)
Question 4: Do you have the option for a hardwire ethernet, or do you need to connect via Wifi? You already answered this, but it's an important question if anyone else sees this list.

Answer those and it makes thing a lot easier.
1. Source has not been selected but Tidal looks good.

2. I have Apple. My wife and stepdaughter (17) have Android.

3. No problem learning new apps.

4. Ethernet.

4. Ethernet.
Tidal will be the easiest for the whole family to learn because they won't need a new app if they already have it. They can just open Tidal, click on the cast/connect button, and the streamer will show up in the list of options whenever it's on. Same for Spotify. The Wiim Ultra supports that feature.

Just sign up for Tidal. Get Tidal on your family's phones (unless they already use Spotify). Plug in the Wiim and add it to the network.
Easy peasy.
I believe Wiim Ultra will also do Wifi, so you could even bypass the ethernet if you wanted. Everything else is just features you can explore later if you feel like it.

You will likely need the Wiim app to sign into your home network, but outside of that you won't really need it again until you change passwords or need to connect.

For the record, Tidal Connect is THE deal breaker feature for me in streamers for this exact reason. It's just so easy and I don't have to rely on the apps for all these small hardware companies.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in another thread, I’ll be moving late summer and am eyeing the upcoming Wiim Ultra.

Looking for advice on streaming services. I need bit perfect and ease of use with both Apple and Android devices.
I’ve been a Qobuz user for a few years now and am very happy with the service. I mostly listen to jazz, classic rock, R&B, bluegrass, folk. There is an occasional album or artist (Bob Seger) not available, but it’s rare.

I compared to Tidal a when I chose the service and it sounded better in my main system. I have also tried Apple Music, but it’s difficult to use that service with most streaming platforms unless you use AirPlay.

You can also buy hires tracks on Qobuz if you’re into that.

I’ve been a Qobuz user for a few years now and am very happy with the service. I mostly listen to jazz, classic rock, R&B, bluegrass, folk. There is an occasional album or artist (Bob Seger) not available, but it’s rare.

I compared to Tidal a when I chose the service and it sounded better in my main system. I have also tried Apple Music, but it’s difficult to use that service with most streaming platforms unless you use AirPlay.

You can also buy hires tracks on Qobuz if you’re into that.
If Bob Seger is a deal breaker, I have questions. Lol

4. Ethernet.
Wait, I must have missed the news about the new marriage. Congratulations!

For what it’s worth, I use Qobuz through a Wiim Pro, and I have no issues. Connects fine, sounds great, and it works through the Wiim app. I can connect my telly to it as well, which is a bonus.

Thank you. Good to know. One of the other ones I was looking at must have been Android. The price point of this one is more a "try it out" level. I'm not really sure I have a use case for it, but I really want a new gadget.
I think the Android based one is the M300

Thank you. Good to know. One of the other ones I was looking at must have been Android. The price point of this one is more a "try it out" level. I'm not really sure I have a use case for it, but I really want a new gadget.
I got a Fiio DAP years ago but almost never used it. Part of that was because of the bad UI at the time. It’s improved a ton with all the brands now. The new Fiio are supposed to sound incredible but with working from home, I doubt I’d use it. It is nice for traveling/flying on long trips as you don’t use your phone battery. @AnthonyI when do you use the DAP? I too want a new gadget but not sure when i’d use it…

I got a Fiio DAP years ago but almost never used it. Part of that was because of the bad UI at the time. It’s improved a ton with all the brands now. The new Fiio are supposed to sound incredible but with working from home, I doubt I’d use it. It is nice for traveling/flying on long trips as you don’t use your phone battery. @AnthonyI when do you use the DAP? I too want a new gadget but not sure when i’d use it…
I picked up a Fiio a few years back as well, still have it, and really liked it, the problem was the size, in terms of being able to read the screen, eyes are getting old. So I was looking for something in the same price point, quality and better screen. The Hiby fit the bill and got great reviews, especially in the "bang for your buck" category, which is my favorite.

Anyway, I use it when I'm doing yard work, but mostly when I walk. I'm either on the treadmill or walking the neighborhood every day, tunes are the best companion. I also do some flying to visit my daughters in Florida, so it's always along for the ride.

...............I also take it with when I go to the mall shopping with my wife and daughters 🤫

I picked up a Fiio a few years back as well, still have it, and really liked it, the problem was the size, in terms of being able to read the screen, eyes are getting old. So I was looking for something in the same price point, quality and better screen. The Hiby fit the bill and got great reviews, especially in the "bang for your buck" category, which is my favorite.

Anyway, I use it when I'm doing yard work, but mostly when I walk. I'm either on the treadmill or walking the neighborhood every day, tunes are the best companion. I also do some flying to visit my daughters in Florida, so it's always along for the ride.
Maybe buying a DAP will finally make me exercise??

Can you get podcasts from Spotify or somewhere? I’d take my phone when walking in case anything happened. I got burnt out on music (shocking I know) and a 60 minute podcast was perfect. So maybe I need to look for another gadget!

Back