The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

I was big into DAPs before COVID but not so much. Before COVID I was travelling frequently for work but not anymore. I got a FiiO unit in 2021 and hardly ever use it. It used a modified Android OS but I still did not really like the UI. My big issue though, at least with units at the time, was I did not like the quality of the Bluetooth for wireless headphones. I would usually resort to wired ones and that just meant me carrying even more stuff around with me.

Now with using Plexamp I often just download 10-12 albums and I am good to go for a few weeks, using either my AirPods or Bluetooth Sennheisers. But yes a new gadget would be fun.

Can you get podcasts from Spotify or somewhere? I’d take my phone when walking in case anything happened. I got burnt out on music (shocking I know) and a 60 minute podcast was perfect. So maybe I need to look for another gadget!
Theoretically, if you can download them for offline use. I have seen several that have the Play Store on them so you can download other apps

Can you get podcasts from Spotify or somewhere? I’d take my phone when walking in case anything happened. I got burnt out on music (shocking I know) and a 60 minute podcast was perfect. So maybe I need to look for another gadget!
The R3 II can download pods and books, but can't stream from like Spotify. It sounds like an Android based DAP would work better for what you're looking for, I just didn't want and or need apps, I have one for music to fill the voids ;)

The R3 II can download pods and books, but can't stream from like Spotify. It sounds like an Android based DAP would work better for what you're looking for, I just didn't want and or need apps, I have one for music to fill the voids ;)
Yeah, I think I should just stick to my phone and my iTunes Match files and not worry about carrying around the hi res stuff from my own library.

Yeah, I think I should just stick to my phone and my iTunes Match files and not worry about carrying around the hi res stuff from my own library.
I bought a DAP on a Kickstarter a couple years ago. It's fun for the hi-res and I take it to my office on campus sometimes, but the OS is kind of a pain so I started mainly using it to stream which defeated the point for me. Now I mainly use my phone. But like others said, it's great when I'm traveling especially on flights. It was cheap enough that even if I only use it a few times a year compared to when I first bought it, I still get the value from it.

I had an iPod mini back in the day. Is that considered a DAP?

Anyway, I’ve considered getting a DAP a couple of times over the last few w, but always end up with a dongle DAC. My iPhone has everything I need audio wise. Audible, podcasts, music (Roon Arc).

I picked up a Cayin RU7 DAC earlier this spring and that thing is a champ. I’ve used it in my main system and it sounds great. It drives all my headphones well.

I also picked up a set of Sennheiser IE600 IEMs. I highly recommend. The IE200 are very good as well at 1/3 the price of the IE600.

Last edited:
I had an iPod mini back in the day. Is that considered a DAP?

Anyway, I’ve considered getting a DAP a couple of times over the last few w, but always end up with a single DAC. My iPhone has everything I need audio wise. Audible, podcasts, music (Roon Arc).

I picked up a Cayin RU7 DAC earlier this spring and that thing is a champ. I’ve used it in my main system and it sounds great. It drives all my headphones well.

I also picked up a set of Sennheiser IE600 IEMs. I highly recommend. The IE200 are very good as well at 1/3 the price of the IE600.
I found the DAP nice for a commute or traveling on a plane but once I started working from home full time, I got standalone DACs. No commute and I have a really young kid so no way I’ll get to listen to music on a plane anytime soon…Just use my phone for the car now and doesn’t really matter the DAC quality there.

I had a Pono player for a time. I think I still have it but I stopped using it when AirPods became more convenient than wired headphones for when I went on walks or bike rides. I also ran into into my stereo but then I found the Topping DAC and that's just so much easier and requires no preloading of music or storage limits.

I don't need this, but...

Is that a primaluna in the system pic? I got a primaluna and my bookshelves on the same shelf with my turntable and my wiim preamp, what the fuck?

If it did DSD, I would stupidly buy it even though the Topping works just fine. And I would buy it simply for the dumb screen that shows what I'm playing. And this is why I will never be able to retire.

If it did DSD, I would stupidly buy it even though the Topping works just fine. And I would buy it simply for the dumb screen that shows what I'm playing. And this is why I will never be able to retire.
The little screen view is very tempting.

Anyone ever change routers on a BluOS device and have any idea how to get the app or new network to recognize the damn thing?

I’m coming up empty so far and haven’t really had the time to sit down and search the service stuff at NAD.

Anyone ever change routers on a BluOS device and have any idea how to get the app or new network to recognize the damn thing?

I’m coming up empty so far and haven’t really had the time to sit down and search the service stuff at NAD.

Have you tried disconnecting your phone from your WiFi, looking for the blueOS under the WiFi options on your phone and connecting through that to do wireless set up?

Back