The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Anyone else's Roon just decide to not play using the Play button? I can bring up albums but it is stuck on something I listened to last week and won't move to the next song. I've tried shutting down the app on my Mac but it doesn't do a single thing.
Did you try rebooting your Mac?

In the past couple of months, I've been repulsed by the ever-increasing cost of used vinyl and have been leaning into CDs instead. In my last haul, all of the used CD I purchased where $6 to $9 whereas the only used vinyl album I was interested in was $35.

I don't mean to sound cheap, but when new Blue Note Classics are coming in at $30 and Tone Poets at $40, "perfect sound forever" is seeming pretty good at less than $10.

In the past couple of months, I've been repulsed by the ever-increasing cost of used vinyl and have been leaning into CDs instead. In my last haul, all of the used CD I purchased where $6 to $9 whereas the only used vinyl album I was interested in was $35.

I don't mean to sound cheap, but when new Blue Note Classics are coming in at $30 and Tone Poets at $40, "perfect sound forever" is seeming pretty good at less than $10.
Records have definitely gotten expensive, but that's why you wait for coupons! never pay full price! there's almost always at least 30% off Tone Poets and BNCs all the time at various places for example. Don't know that I've ever paid more than $20 for a BNC and gotten most $15 or less. Try as I might, I just can't get into shopping for and listening to CDs. Part of it is that my streaming system sounds great to me and I can get most masterings I'd like through certain ways. Other part is I just am not as familiar with the digital side of masterings, whose work to look for, etc. CDs are definitely good value in most places so I pick em up from time to time and rip them for Roon. I just never find myself reaching for CDs to listen to...most likely because I only really have 30-40 and don't wanna rebuild my whole library of music in another format.

Records have definitely gotten expensive, but that's why you wait for coupons! never pay full price! there's almost always at least 30% off Tone Poets and BNCs all the time at various places for example. Don't know that I've ever paid more than $20 for a BNC and gotten most $15 or less. Try as I might, I just can't get into shopping for and listening to CDs. Part of it is that my streaming system sounds great to me and I can get most masterings I'd like through certain ways. Other part is I just am not as familiar with the digital side of masterings, whose work to look for, etc. CDs are definitely good value in most places so I pick em up from time to time and rip them for Roon. I just never find myself reaching for CDs to listen to...most likely because I only really have 30-40 and don't wanna rebuild my whole library of music in another format.
Yeah, I get that. I collected CDs exclusively from 1988 to 2015. I feel the same way about not wanting to rebuild my library in vinyl from what I have on CD.

I inherited a small collection of vinyl in 2016 which is why I purchased my first turntable. So, my CD collection is still four times larger than my vinyl collection.

Yeah, I get that. I collected CDs exclusively from 1988 to 2015. I feel the same way about not wanting to rebuild my library in vinyl from what I have on CD.

I inherited a small collection of vinyl in 2016 which is why I purchased my first turntable. So, my CD collection is still four times larger than my vinyl collection.
Yep. I sold or gave away most of my CDs when I got into vinyl. Never had a ton anyway since I was a Kazaa kid

I’ve got a CD player sitting next to me in my office, and I’ve been really enjoying it I think I’ll get back into buying them for both the lower price, and because I can maintain ownership of what I have.

I’m gonna start following the vinyl deals thread more closely. I love vinyl despite being into CDs as long as I have been. I do need better deals, though. Thanks @MikeH .

Back